U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM

33,766 posts, read 12,912,065 times

Advertisements

Way back in this thread, someone mentioned that the mother who was shot by her two year old in Walmart was her high school valedictorian.

This is not as impressive as it sounds. I went to high school in Idaho. The bar is not that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 06:37 AM

9,355 posts, read 5,790,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If the gun was a pistol, yes, a round would have to be in the chamber (which is how you have to carry a firearm if it's going to be useful in a self-defense situation). But you don't have to be strong to flick a safety off, and a toddler could easily do that unintentionally in the process of handling the gun.

And if the gun was a revolver, there is no safety, and if the gun is fully loaded there would be a round under the hammer no matter how the cylinder was turned. Revolvers have stiffer triggers than pistols, but a strong toddler (especially using two hands) could fire one.

The bottom line is that loaded firearms must ALWAYS be kept completely out of reach of small children. And that means that if the gun is being carried in a purse, that purse MUST remain in Mom's hands at all times, no exceptions. Junior can't be allowed to touch it, much less open it.
This. Had the purse not been left unattended this would not have happened. Negligence pure and simple.

It is pathetic how the anti-gun people in this thread have to jump in with their clueless emotional rhetoric as if they lead mistake free lives. Humans are not perfect, we make mistakes, unfortunately when a firearms owner makes a mistake the results can be deadly. In my opinion there are two dangerous types of firearms owners. Those that are too afraid or uncomfortable around their firearms and those that are TOO comfortable around them. That is where mistakes/negligence can happen.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:51 AM

18,452 posts, read 10,098,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This. Had the purse not been left unattended this would not have happened. Negligence pure and simple.
Seeing that this was a brand new purse, it's actually an example of one of the primary rules:

Don't put new equipment into operation without thorough training and familiarization.

Switching from holster to purse is a huge habit adjustment to make, and yes, "Keep it under your immediate control at all times" is the cardinal rule of that method of gun carry.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 AM

33,766 posts, read 12,912,065 times
Quote:

It is pathetic how the anti-gun people in this thread have to jump in with their clueless emotional rhetoric as if they lead mistake free lives. Humans are not perfect, we make mistakes, unfortunately when a firearms owner makes a mistake the results can be deadly. In my opinion there are two dangerous types of firearms owners. Those that are too afraid or uncomfortable around their firearms and those that are TOO comfortable around them. That is where mistakes/negligence can happen.
"Clueless emotional rhetoric" such as people who own guns should take precautions around kids?

I see.

We're just a short jump away from shootouts at the OK Corral. Only this time, toddlers are involved.

My Canadian friends think we are out of our ever lovin' minds.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,258,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't gun owners required to get training in this sort of thing in order to get their license?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Just...how??? Forget the safety settings. HOW, do you take a gun in your purse to Walmart along with a 2 year old, stick him in the shopping cart, and then let him play with the purse that has a gun in it??? How are these people allowed to reproduce?? Honestly, yes it's sad that the woman died, but I would've been a lot sadder if that gun ended up shooting an innocent bystander (or the child or another child!) instead. At least this way no one else suffered due to this woman's lack of brains.
You can't fix "stupid". You have to wonder if the mother, in this case, might have had mental health problems because I just don't see how anyone could be that "stupid" and walk upright. I am guessing a tragedy was in the making because she probably kept this gun ready even at the house.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,378,521 times
Quote:
It is pathetic how the anti-gun people in this thread have to jump in with their clueless emotional rhetoric as if they lead mistake free lives. Humans are not perfect, we make mistakes, unfortunately when a firearms owner makes a mistake the results can be deadly.
Quite the contrary. Most people who choose not to have guns in their home do so for the very reason that they DO know mistakes happen, and they feel the risk is too high to justify the benefit.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM

3,503 posts, read 3,351,764 times
Women tend to put their purses in the carriage seat while they grocery shop. They tend to put their toddler there, too. Toddlers tend to amuse themselves by going through their mothers' purses to see what they can find that's interesting. So this was definitely forseeable - not the "perfect storm" that some are calling it. The only good thing I can see here is that the only person that he shot, was the person responsible for his having access to the weapon.

As for those who feel that they must always have access to a loaded weapon for defense, what do you do? Take it to the bathroom with you? Take it in the shower with you? Certainly, a perpetrator could break into your home and enter the bathroom while you are showering. What's next, waterproof pouches for weapons so that you can take them into the shower with you? Sleeping in shifts so that someone is always awake, guarding your home with a loaded weapon?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM

73,597 posts, read 65,291,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You can't fix "stupid". You have to wonder if the mother, in this case, might have had mental health problems because I just don't see how anyone could be that "stupid" and walk upright. I am guessing a tragedy was in the making because she probably kept this gun ready even at the house.
Well, you know, as it turned out, she couldn't be that stupid, and walk upright. Her stupidity killed her. But she didn't take the gun to the store because she thought she might need it. She took the gun to the store because she'd just received the purse as a Christmas present from the child's father, and she wanted to take the purse, with its handy gun-pocket feature, to the store for a spin.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 AM

11,157 posts, read 9,199,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Quite the contrary. Most people who choose not to have guns in their home do so for the very reason that they DO know mistakes happen, and they feel the risk is too high to justify the benefit.
The risks of an accident with a firearm at home are extremely, extremely low if you have even an ounce of intelligence and training.

I have a much better chance of slipping on a banana peel and breaking my neck than I do of accidentally being shot by my own firearm.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 AM

73,597 posts, read 65,291,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The risks of an accident with a firearm at home are extremely, extremely low if you have even an ounce of intelligence and training.
This is a big assumption to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events