U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,347,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Guess what? Each and every one of us could take a human life due to negligence. Every time we jump in our cars for instance. For some it could be getting behind the wheel after drinking or taking drugs, or texting, or just answering a cell phone, maybe taking a selfie or possibly swerving to miss a deer, how about slamming the breaks on to avoid hitting some Geese? It could be as simple as just misjudging while pulling out in traffic, driving too fast, or too slow, maybe not seeing that motorcycle in our blind spot.

What about the doctor that just worked an 80 week and does something wrong during a surgery, perhaps prescribing the wrong medicine?

What about in the workplace?

These types of negligent deaths happen FAR more often then a negligent discharge does. Yet people just seem to gloss over this.
You're absolutely right. Because people die from accidents every day, I'm going to go load the trunk of my car with cans of gasoline, some fireworks and a little uranium then drive it through a bonfire. Then I'm going to walk on marbles carrying knives and scissors, put on a meat dress and play with a pen of hungry pit bulls. You know, because people die every day so why take any precautions with my life at all, right?

Makes perfect sense. Follows that other nugget of brilliance: Laws will just get broken so why bother having them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 AM

297 posts, read 262,131 times
Blaming a gun for killing someone makes about as much sense as blaming a car for drunk driving, a spoon for making someone fat and a pool for someone drowning.
This is pure and simple natural selection through darwinism.

natural selection
nat∑u∑ral se∑lec∑tion
noun
Biology
noun: natural selection

The process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring. The theory of its action was first fully expounded by Charles Darwin and is now believed to be the main process that brings about evolution.

"Hey look Ed, its a lion, lets go pet it!" Is another example of natural selection through darwinism.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 AM

9,068 posts, read 5,659,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You're absolutely right. Because people die from accidents every day, I'm going to go load the trunk of my car with cans of gasoline, some fireworks and a little uranium then drive it through a bonfire. Then I'm going to walk on marbles carrying knives and scissors, put on a meat dress and play with a pen of hungry pit bulls. You know, because people die every day so why take any precautions with my life at all, right?

Makes perfect sense. Follows that other nugget of brilliance: Laws will just get broken so why bother having them?
Common sense is something that completely escaped you apparently.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Once again, let me explain.

As a civilian, if you go any place where you expect that you will need a gun, you are expected not to go to that place at all.

Secondly, one carries a gun all places, all times they legally can to prevent the opposing counsel, in the lawsuit that is bound to result if one has to shoot someone, from showing premeditation.

Ie, "So, Ms. Ounce, on the morning of the incident, you got up and strapped on your gun with the intention of shooting my client.".

Now, it may not have quite been like that but rather, on that morning, in fear of the client, the gun was strapped on............but one has to remember that the counsel is trying to put an interpretation of what happened into the mind of the jury.

Hence, one wears the gun everywhere, all the time they legally can so if a shooting situation does occur, the wearing of the gun that day was like any other day. There was no expectation of a gun fight, there was no premeditation of a gun fight.
Good lord, so much energy going into worrying about what might be around the next corner. And so many people on this thread continually contradicting themselves with their own arguments. "The likelihood of an accident with a gun is extremely low." (So is needing a gun in the first place!) "People are more likely to die from a car accident, but you still drive a car, right?" (Yes! It's why I also leave my house without a gun. So many more things to get killed from than a mugger on the street.)

Forget my opinion of guns. Like I've said before, I really don't give a hoot if you have one or not. It's the dumb excuses people come up with that gets the most annoying. I would sincerely have more respect for the person who is just honest and says, "I like guns, I think they're cool, the law says I can have one, and I feel better when I'm walking around with one in my pocket. You take your risks, I'll take mine." Why is that so hard for people to admit?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Loribee62, where do you live?
I ask, because in some of the places I have lived I carried everyday. In other places I have lived, my guns never left my safe.
It is all relative.
I mean, at the end of the day as Americas were all most likely to eat ourselves to death as heart disease is the number one killer, but I always carry a condom just in case. Just because I may end up dying from heart diseas, doesnt mean I wont bring a rubber when im dating. Sure, HIV or syphilis are a much lower risk of death than heart disease, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't be prepared anyway.
Guns are much the same to me.
I do not bring condoms when i go to see my doctor (he isnt my preferred type OR gender), and I did not carry a gun when I was stationed in whidbey island washington. There was simply no reason to (i did however always have a rubber just in case). But when I lived and worked in Oakland California or when the VA sends me to the hospital in Vallejo California, I always carry.
Because those are the places I feel I might need a gun.
I also always keep a loaded shotgun in my house because where I live, home invasions are a new trend. I didnt keep it loaded 10 years ago, but I do now.
Again, it is all relative. Some people carry but do might not need to, some probably do need too.
Absolutes mean Absolutely nothing.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,450,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
She was not irresponsible she was complacent and paid the ultimate price . Don't worry she won't do it again. Just be thankful you are blessed with hindsight at someone else's expense and leave it at that. All the facts I have read indicate she was a responsible person who became distracted or complacent.
Yes I am glad she will not be "able" to do it again - it could have been somebody else. I have no respect for these gun nuts who don't know how to secure them. I see some genuine reasons to own gun but then you have to be "extremely" careful.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Loribee62, where do you live?
I ask, because in some of the places I have lived I carried everyday. In other places I have lived, my guns never left my safe.
It is all relative.
I mean, at the end of the day as Americas were all most likely to eat ourselves to death as heart disease is the number one killer, but I always carry a condom just in case. Just because I may end up dying from heart diseas, doesnt mean I wont bring a rubber when im dating. Sure, HIV or syphilis are a much lower risk of death than heart disease, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't be prepared anyway.
Guns are much the same to me.
I do not bring condoms when i go to see my doctor (he isnt my preferred type OR gender), and I did not carry a gun when I was stationed in whidbey island washington. There was simply no reason to (i did however always have a rubber just in case). But when I lived and worked in Oakland California or when the VA sends me to the hospital in Vallejo California, I always carry.
Because those are the places I feel I might need a gun.
I also always keep a loaded shotgun in my house because where I live, home invasions are a new trend. I didnt keep it loaded 10 years ago, but I do now.
Again, it is all relative. Some people carry but do might not need to, some probably do need too.
Absolutes mean Absolutely nothing.
Thank you for this completely reasonable and totally understandable post. I agree with every word. It's one of the reasons I'm not against firearms, especially in this country. I don't feel I need one where I live now, but that situation could change some day. I'd like to reserve the right to have one. I have family members who live in remote areas of the PNW. They have guns and I have never questioned why or thought it was unnecessary.

I've said this three times now I think on this thread. It's the extremists who bother me the most, and do the most damage to their own cause. Can't count the times I've read posts (on this thread and others) where I've thought, "I wasn't opposed to guns until you started talking."

Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 PM

610 posts, read 556,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69colin View Post
It is about time America entered the 21st century and realized that guns are not necessary to exist on Earth.
If the gun lobby got out of the way and grew up US would be a better place to live.

Yes this will cause a lot of keyboard hitting in anger....but....GUNS are not necessary.

Look at how all of the other countries around the world operate without guns.

How many people need to die before US wakes up
What you meant to say was, look at how all of the other countries around the world operate in a paradigm where only the government owns guns.

R.J. Rummel would consider that a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Ya, i feel ya.
I see a lot of gun owners, but I dont see many militia. Seems they should go hand in hand.

Personally, I think the US should make it a national law to serve in the military for citizenship like Switzerland. In the military you learn gun control. That wont stop Darwinism, but it could cut it back some.

I see tons of studies done by UK and AUS about how helpful gun control was for them, but then I look at Switzerland and feel a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Switzerland vs United States Crime Stats Compared
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...-Kingdom/Crime
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...tzerland/Crime

Last edited by Westcoastnavy; 01-02-2015 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 PM

The thing about Switzerland though is, everyone's Swiss. It's easier to get along and not be so fearful of each other when everyone looks and acts alike and you operate under a generally monolithic culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events