U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 PM

297 posts, read 279,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The thing about Switzerland though is, everyone's Swiss. It's easier to get along and not be so fearful of each other when everyone looks and acts alike and you operate under a generally monolithic culture.

Sorry but....

Switzerland
Swiss %76.2
Foreigners %23.8

Swiss Statistics - Age and nationality

America
Americans 74.2%
Foreigners 12.9%

Immigrants in the United States, 2010: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies

Also:

Immigrants are less likely to commit crimes or to be incarcerated than native-born Americans. A 2007 study by the Immigration Policy Center found that the incarceration rate for immigrant men ages 18 to 39 in 2000 was 0.7 percent, while the incarceration rate for native-born men of the same age group was 3.5 percent. While the foreign-born share of the U.S. population grew from 8 percent to 13 percent between 1990 and 2010, FBI data indicate that violent crime rates across the country fell by about 45 percent, while property crime rates fell by 42 percent.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-3/#population

So if you compare the data, Switzerland might be safer because it has more immigration, but not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,331,005 times
Quote:
>>>>>>>>The thing about Switzerland though is, everyone's Swiss.<<<<<<???????? :dubi ous::t hink: It's easier to get along and not be so fearful of each other when everyone looks and acts alike and you operate under a generally monolithic culture.

Switzerland has a current approx population of 8.1 million people.

Approx 24.899% of the population are "foreigners" who are permanent residents and citizens .
Another 1 to 2 % are "foreigners" who are not permanent residents and are not citizens.

So approx 1 out of every 4 residents are not "Swiss".

EDIT:.....Sorry "WestCoastNavy", I evidently was typing my post immediately after you sent yours and did not know "your's was on the way".

Last edited by Montana Griz; 01-02-2015 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: reason for duplication of info that was in another person's post

Old 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,201,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Pity she reproduced before her death. Maybe her kid will grow up depressed and kill himself before he reproduces.
Simply amazing. I feel sorry for anyone who harbors such contempt for human life.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:52 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,512,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Sorry but....

Switzerland
Swiss %76.2
Foreigners %23.8

Swiss Statistics - Age and nationality

America
Americans 74.2%
Foreigners 12.9%

Immigrants in the United States, 2010: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies

Also:

Immigrants are less likely to commit crimes or to be incarcerated than native-born Americans. A 2007 study by the Immigration Policy Center found that the incarceration rate for immigrant men ages 18 to 39 in 2000 was 0.7 percent, while the incarceration rate for native-born men of the same age group was 3.5 percent. While the foreign-born share of the U.S. population grew from 8 percent to 13 percent between 1990 and 2010, FBI data indicate that violent crime rates across the country fell by about 45 percent, while property crime rates fell by 42 percent.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-3/#population

So if you compare the data, Switzerland might be safer because it has more immigration, but not the other way around.
Switch those statistics over to race and national origin.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 8,691,483 times
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, got tired of paging through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3HJVp3n9c

Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 PM

78,182 posts, read 70,090,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Ya, i feel ya.
I see a lot of gun owners, but I dont see many militia. Seems they should go hand in hand.

Personally, I think the US should make it a national law to serve in the military for citizenship like Switzerland. In the military you learn gun control. That wont stop Darwinism, but it could cut it back some.
But gun control training is required for concealed carry permits, is it not? And still, two-year-olds get a hold of guns and kill their moms. 6-year-olds get their hands on a gun and kill their sibling. Parents have a gun locker at home, but sometimes fail to secure it. There's got to be a better solution. Stiff penalties for leaving guns unsecured? Spot home and car inspections by police? IDK, but stupidity/carelessness prevention is needed.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:07 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,512,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, got tired of paging through.
Love this guy. We just discovered his comedy a couple months ago. Two comments that resonate in just the first two minutes of the clip:

"This is just my personal opinion about guns. I'm not trying to take your guns away." No kidding. I've found it completely impossible to express a personal opinion about guns without the hysterics flying out of their shorts. I'm a little surprised half the crowd didn't storm the stage before he dared to say more.

And

"I understand that Australia and America are two vastly different cultures with vastly different people."

Exactly the point I attempted to make re: Switzerland.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM

12,546 posts, read 8,691,483 times
Quote:
Love this guy. We just discovered his comedy a couple months ago. Two comments that resonate in just the first two minutes of the clip:

"This is just my personal opinion about guns. I'm not trying to take your guns away." No kidding. I've found it completely impossible to express a personal opinion about guns without the hysterics flying out of their shorts. I'm a little surprised half the crowd didn't storm the stage before he dared to say more.

And

"I understand that Australia and America are two vastly different cultures with vastly different people."

Exactly the point I attempted to make re: Switzerland.
Clarity through comedy. He is very funny, as the truth most often is.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:46 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If the gun was a pistol, yes, a round would have to be in the chamber (which is how you have to carry a firearm if it's going to be useful in a self-defense situation). But you don't have to be strong to flick a safety off, and a toddler could easily do that unintentionally in the process of handling the gun.

And if the gun was a revolver, there is no safety, and if the gun is fully loaded there would be a round under the hammer no matter how the cylinder was turned. Revolvers have stiffer triggers than pistols, but a strong toddler (especially using two hands) could fire one.

The bottom line is that loaded firearms must ALWAYS be kept completely out of reach of small children. And that means that if the gun is being carried in a purse, that purse MUST remain in Mom's hands at all times, no exceptions. Junior can't be allowed to touch it, much less open it.
Thank you for explaining this. I got this far wondering how the toddler was able to fire the gun. I know nothing about guns. So It would appear that the mistake was made on the mother's part by not keeping her purse with her and away from her child.

It makes me wonder how much the mother knew about guns and if she didn't know that this was possible why didn't she. Could this tragic accident have been much worse I wonder? What if the child had been able to shoot more people before the gun could be taken away? I am so sorry for the death of the mother but I shudder to think how else this could have played out due to her ignorance about her firearm.

Maybe this will be a lesson to people to take their firearm ownership more seriously.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:47 PM

297 posts, read 279,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But gun control training is required for concealed carry permits, is it not? And still, two-year-olds get a hold of guns and kill their moms. 6-year-olds get their hands on a gun and kill their sibling. Parents have a gun locker at home, but sometimes fail to secure it. There's got to be a better solution. Stiff penalties for leaving guns unsecured? Spot home and car inspections by police? IDK, but stupidity/carelessness prevention is needed.
What is the penalty for turning your child into a fat diabetic? Or a racist? Or a religious home schooled nut case who hates everyone else (I.E westboro baptist church)? Or how many refuse to give their kid vaccines? Or dont watch as their kid drinks anti freeze??

People are stupid all over. Its not about pointing the finger and saying that is too dangerous. so take it away. If that was the case no one would have a pool, bathtub, gun, car, stairs, swings slides or holding children.

People say guns are dangerous. I think people are dangerous. Especially the dumb ones.

In terms of safety here are a few statistics.

Nontransport accidents (W00-X59,Y86)
Under 1 year:1,067
1-4 years:933
5-14 years:667

Falls (W00-W19)
Under 1 year:11
1-4 years:24
5-14 years:28

Accidental discharge of firearms (W32-W34)
Under 1 year:4
1-4 years:25
5-14 years:45

Accidental drowning and submersion (W65-W74)
under 1 year: 52
1-4 years:438
5-14 years:235

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_03.pdf

I see 70 stupid people (not counting spouses) with kids and guns but I also see 725 stupid people (not counting spouses) with pools or bathtubs.

for Americans of all ages, mortality rates
CDC total deaths
Heart disease
Deaths per 100,000 population:191

Malignant neoplasms
Deaths per 100,000 population:185.1

Chronic lower respiratory diseases
Deaths per 100,000 population:45.9

Cerebrovascular diseases
Deaths per 100,000 population:41.4

Accidents
Deaths per 100,000 population:40.6

Diabetes mellitus
Deaths per 100,000 population:23.7

Influenza and pneumonia
Deaths per 100,000 population:17.3

poisoning
Deaths per 100,000 population: 14.8

suicide
Deaths per 100,000 population:12.7

Motor vehicle traffic deaths
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.8

All firearm deaths
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.4

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_03.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events