Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 08:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
......Also, just idle curiosity, but what was your rate and what years did you serve?
General Unrestricted Line Officer 1100 (O-2)
NOBC 2775

"2775 LAW ENFORCEMENT AND SECURITY OFFICER, SHORE ACTIVITY [LES OFF SHRACT] [Job Code: 001287]

Directs, administers and supervises law enforcement and physical security efforts of a naval shore establishment. Provides guidance and direction to subordinates on law enforcement and physical security policy, procedures and practices, anti-terrorism, drug enforcement, customs inspection, crime prevention, military working dogs, traffic control, personnel access, and vehicle registration. Coordinates security exercises and inspections to ensure consistency in doctrine and tactics. Monitors the Auxiliary Security Force organization, training and operation. Works closely with Naval Investigative Service and civilian and military law enforcement agencies."

Late Cold War
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:10 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
There sure is a lot of emphasis on using laws in an attempt to prevent mistakes. How does that work? We have laws that can't prevent people from violating the laws against murder but can somehow legislate to prevent accidents with guns. How about we start with cars first, people are still being killed by the thousands as a result of their use.

We have legislated safety for automobiles.
Manufacturers did not install seatbelts, airbags, collapsible steering columns, etc etc etc...
...until required by law.

Along with drivers education, mandated insurance and registration.

And it can certainly be argued that drunk driving would be much worse without strict and expen$ive DUI laws.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 PM

297 posts, read 358,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nothing the DoD actually needs. Make work--"painting rocks"--yeah. Fight a war? No.
Plenty of kids get sent to war with minimal training. What are marines for? Sure you need a stable base of vets, but the Swiss do that very thing, some stay as long as 30 years, others do as few as three i think.

Quote:
Make work. If all you want to do is keep a bunch of kids busy, put that burden on some other agency, not the DoD.
Again, NOW we do make work, a use could be found.

Quote:
Ah, so this plan to quadruple the size of the DoD with a bunch of useless bodies includes not buying equipment the DoD needs and changing the national tax basis.
again with the quadruple? you haven't explained how 2mil turns into 4mil as a quadruple effect. And why not? I think changing the military would be a much bigger issue than the tax base, which would generate a ton of favor, as most of the middle class pays over 20%.

Quote:
Border patrol takes trained adults, not 18-year-olds nursing a conscription grudge.

You obviously haven't been to their training seminar!! The recruit from the military in a huge way. Lots of people have ZERO combat time, just basic and a school but make the transition just fine.

Quote:
Most welfare does not go to the unmarried 18-year-olds that would be drafted, so you can't just take that money.
Sure you can.

Right now that's being done by civilians who have jobs and like having jobs. So you're going to stick a knife in the civilian economy to pay for this useless bunch of conscripts.[/quote]

You see useless with your lack of view. I do not.

Besides the fact that we're still talking about relatively untrained people (you are referring to all the military after training programs and basic), your real goal here is to create a huge military police force. Hmm.[/quote]

What do you think the national guard is? LOL. I sign a contract that allows me to refuse orders from god himself if told to mess with civvies, they didnt. And yes, I suggested police. instead of being constantly negative, try offering a idea. I know its scary.

Quote:
So now you're talking about truly socializing medicine. You're not talking about 18-year-old conscripts anymore, you're talking about some very expensive training.
So field medics cant do the job of paramedics? And MTs cant be replaced with military MTs?

Quote:
I gotta believe you're just pulling my leg.

Nope, but it seems you dislike the military, understand little about the various jobs in it and you have no vision.
Its kind of sad honestly.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
General Unrestricted Line Officer 1100 (O-2)
NOBC 2775

"2775 LAW ENFORCEMENT AND SECURITY OFFICER, SHORE ACTIVITY [LES OFF SHRACT] [Job Code: 001287] ."

Late Cold War
You really should get down to the VA. If you fired military weapons pre like 1990s its almost a guarantee you have tinnitus and thus qualify for benefits.
But no idea how that works for officers.
Did you have a GI bill?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You really should get down to the VA. If you fired military weapons pre like 1990s its almost a guarantee you have tinnitus and thus qualify for benefits.
But no idea how that works for officers.
Did you have a GI bill?
I think it was called VEAP back then and no, I didn't. One of the massive errors I made, misreading my LES for 5 years and not realizing that I didn't have such benefits when I thought I did.

As it was, though, I made out pretty well with education with the job I got in Texas.

As far as tinnitus, I sort of have that....but it didn't develop till years later as a civilian diver. I put it down to my ears being "constantly flooded", either from water going in, or the counter pressures going out.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM

That is why you seek a professional to decide because your not a medical professional. Its always a good idea to get rated.
If nothing else, you can Google and see what benefits you are entitled to now a days.
I helped get a friend of the family rated who has been sitting on a few medical issues since Vietnam. Its never too late for medical benefits!
I hear from buddies that Texas will hook up any vet with school if they are from there. Which is pretty awesome.

Last edited by Westcoastnavy; 01-02-2015 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 01-02-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
........I hear from buddies that Texas will hook up any vet with school if they are from there. Which is pretty awesome.
As we get further and further off the subject, that's the Hazelwood Act. But, in a way, that sort of relates back to what you have been talking about here.

The Politicians can write rules and laws under the belief to make things better, but they don't always know what they are writing or they may change it, thinking they are making it better.....and mess it up even more.

Such as with the Hazelwood Act. Long ago, they wanted to make it available for more people but in rewriting it for that, it changed from something where if you went into the military from Texas, served more than 180 days, and was dishonorably discharged, there could be funding for you to something with those conditions and then the need to prove that you actually needed it.

We went from something that was a nice incentive, a nice reward for our service, to a burden to get our hands on it. Further, I believe, the hours limits became a part of it. As I recall, I found other sources of funding and haven't really bothered looking at it since about 1996.

Same thing about guns or for that matter, any of one's rights. Be very careful what regulation lets TPTB write about one's rights. Even if they aren't intent on taking them away, history can show that they may do such a poor job of writing the law that they do that, anyhow. Further, if one accepts regulation of their rights but down the road, doesn't like where the regulation has gone, they no longer have legal basis to argue that their rights are being restricted since they accepted that when they accepted the regulation.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-02-2015 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Haha, sometimes going off topic has a way of changing perspectives!

The military taught me to be careful about precedents. Even the best of intentions can be twisted. Its like military haircut rules guided by the UCMJ. lots of black and white rules, with the term "faddish". Which basically means someone can punish you for almost any haircut because they feel like it.

Personally, I have seen people get hit up for flat tops and in one instance, parted hair cuts.

Which is why I like the way Switzerland does its gun laws. It works, and people keep their guns while enjoying a lower crime rate.

No crazy insane list of guidelines or regulation that apply to weapons. Just some very set in stone rules the entire country follows. Here you can get arrested going from state to state because the laws are not universal.

Last edited by Westcoastnavy; 01-02-2015 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 01-02-2015, 10:32 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:

Nope, but it seems you dislike the military, understand little about the various jobs in it and you have no vision.
Its kind of sad honestly.
My family has been solid military since the Spanish-American War. Even the women married soldiers. I was an Army brat and spent 26 years in the Air Force.

I'm not fond of hair-brained schemes that would only serve to damage the military.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
My family has been solid military since the Spanish-American War. Even the women married soldiers. I was an Army brat and spent 26 years in the Air Force.

I'm not fond of hair-brained schemes that would only serve to damage the military.
God, Now i really feel bad for you.

Even with all that experience and background, you cannot even brainstorm a single positive idea?

Yes, one persons idea of utilizing a concept that is currently in application and applying it theoretically to our military will be the end of the world and by even speaking of it, you shame your deceased military relatives.

Gimme a break.

Also, how does 2mil change to 4mil and equate a quadruple effect? I really want to know the answer to this.

You were UAF. Yall get very specific training. So how can you NOT compare the training required for a military position to a civve position like paramedic to a corpsman/medic? Or an airframer to a civve version of same?

You might have met a marine at some point. So how would said marine training be any different from boarder patrol (besides the obvious linguistics)?

Or a navy EOD be different from a civvie EOD?

You claim to have extensive experience with the military, but you fail to even consider an idea, instead you shoot it down with negativity and no information. That, to me is simply depressing and shows me your inability to try.
Stop being so negative. I dare you to provide one productive concept or idea. If you are unable to do that, than provide one unique and viable concept that would lower gun violence in the US.
I am willing to consider any suggestion or concept as well as debate.

Last edited by Westcoastnavy; 01-03-2015 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Excessive rudeness due to lack of sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events