U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,632,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I like it!

You also have to wonder how many kids would get "straightened out" by a few years doing military service, away from mom and dad and the 'hood (that includes wealthy hoods too). Job training, poverty goes down. When poverty goes down, crime follows. Oh...and how many crazies would get flagged before they snap and go off on the local elementary school.

(And I haven't seen a teeter-totter in years either, heh)
Looking at the enlisted who snap and go nutty implies that it wouldn't fix those who can't be fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 02:57 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,632,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I was referring to the years of my father's generation when pretty much every man leaving high school went into the service voluntarily.
Military was not the deciding factor in society then.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 AM

51,749 posts, read 50,958,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
This just makes me sad. I have a 3yr old and a 1yr old, and the idea that neither one of them would know their wonderful mom... I guess to your point, ignorance is bliss; but I can't imagine a life like that for any small child.
When my daughter was 18 months old, I was in a situation where I thought there was a possibility I might die, and what went through my head was "Oh no, she is not even going to remember me."

Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 AM

14,124 posts, read 13,708,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
To this day, when I think that I will be subjecting myself to dangerous and/or unsafe surroundings, I "Carry". And due to circumstances that relate to where I live, I sleep with a suitably equipped handgun on the night-stand right next to my bed......fully loaded and cocked.
But apparently this woman didn't feel unsafe.

“It’s pretty common around here,” he said. “A lot of people carry loaded guns.” Sandow told The Post she often sees people with a gun cradled at their side. “In Idaho, we don’t have to worry about a lot of crime and things like that,” she said. “And to see someone with a gun isn’t bizarre. [Veronica] wasn’t carrying a gun because she felt unsafe. She was carrying a gun because she was raised around guns. This was just a horrible accident.”
The inside story of how an Idaho toddler shot his mom at Wal-Mart - The Washington Post

Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 AM

858 posts, read 2,490,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But apparently this woman didn't feel unsafe.

“It’s pretty common around here,” he said. “A lot of people carry loaded guns.” Sandow told The Post she often sees people with a gun cradled at their side. “In Idaho, we don’t have to worry about a lot of crime and things like that,” she said. “And to see someone with a gun isn’t bizarre. [Veronica] wasn’t carrying a gun because she felt unsafe. She was carrying a gun because she was raised around guns. This was just a horrible accident.”
The inside story of how an Idaho toddler shot his mom at Wal-Mart - The Washington Post

Thank you.

While all the points on safety, protection, and violence are valid they don't apply to this situation. The US is not Switzerland, not Europe, never will be. All people who carry do not do it for protection. In Idaho, people carry because they can. It's more related to the outdoors and sportsman lifestyle. It's a personal tragedy that just happened to occur with a gun. If it had happened in any other way, you probably wouldn't even know about it.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM

18,251 posts, read 9,993,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
God, Now i really feel bad for you.

Even with all that experience and background, you cannot even brainstorm a single positive idea?
There is nothing positive about a militarized nation. There's nothing positive about loading down a modern, motorized military with cannon fodder conscripts that it has no way to utilize for military purposes.

It's not the job of the military to raise children. It's the job of the military to wage war, and every dollar spent, every manhour expended, should be in support of winning the next war, not raising children.

Your basic purposes are wrong.

Quote:
Also, how does 2mil change to 4mil and equate a quadruple effect? I really want to know the answer to this.
The total size would be at least tripled. It would actually be more than tripled because those new recruits are nothing but a total force debit, not an asset. There is so little militarily useful someone who is only going to be active duty for a year can do for a modern military that the cost of handling them outweighs their utility.

Requirement: 2,000,000
Number of new 18-year-olds each year: 4,000,000

But the total number won't be 6,000,000, because now we have all those 1-year conscripts who need supervision. In that year, they will never actually carry their own weight in a military unit--able to train and supervise others--they will be merely a pure training load.

Current training load: 100,000. That represents all the new, untrained troops that the military needs to sustain its ongoing and expected missions.

New recruits to be trained each year under your cockamamie plan: 4,000,000. The training load is increased 4000% unnecessarily for military needs. The military stops being overall a fighting force and becomes mostly a child care center.

We don't need that to fight any war we contemplate fighting, and that's what the military is for. No military leader wants to have triple the number of troops who don't know how to perform the mission without task supervision.

You want to use the military as a child care center--no, that's wrong. Come up with some other government agency to do that.

Quote:
Stop being so negative. I dare you to provide one productive concept or idea. If you are unable to do that, than provide one unique and viable concept that would lower gun violence in the US.
I am willing to consider any suggestion or concept as well as debate.
Your purpose is to lower gun violence in the US. That's not a military task unless you put the country under martial law. Come up with something besides the military.

I propose Jesus, frankly.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 01-03-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,366,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Come up with something besides the military.
Personally, I find it refreshing to have a conversation about guns that involves brainstorming solutions instead of just bitching and attacking all the time. Doesn't matter if it's unrealistic like enlisting every graduate, turning the country to Jesus or issuing firearms to newborns. Throwing around ideas is significantly more interesting than simply complaining all the time.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 AM

2,004 posts, read 1,148,993 times
It isn't the job of the military to be the babysitters for parents who don't or can't parent. Using the military to solve societal problems adds a burden it should not have. Leadership, courtesy, responsibility can be taught at home, during the formative years of a childs life, not at an age where we are entrusting to safety and security of our country to those ill suited to accepting authority. The military is there to protect our way of life, not to show kids how to figure it out.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:45 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,366,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I propose Jesus, frankly.
And, er, you know Hitler was Catholic right? So was Timothy McVeigh. In fact, most serial killers in the US were of Christian faith according to people who tally up stuff like that.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 AM

73,263 posts, read 64,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
It isn't the job of the military to be the babysitters for parents who don't or can't parent. Using the military to solve societal problems adds a burden it should not have. Leadership, courtesy, responsibility can be taught at home, during the formative years of a childs life, not at an age where we are entrusting to safety and security of our country to those ill suited to accepting authority. The military is there to protect our way of life, not to show kids how to figure it out.
The mom of the last 2-year-old who shot his mom with her own gun was a military mom. Getting military training does nothing to prevent stupidity and carelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events