Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 02:24 PM

297 posts, read 358,590 times

Advertisements

Sure, that is entirely possible.
But some groups are higher risk than others.
And some people should just never own guns. Or raise children or have dogs or be allowed to drive! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 02:29 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is interesting. How does that work? Does the rate start falling off after a certain number of years? After your first 3 years, or 5 years, the rate declines?
Yes.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The point being that one could be a great driver with 20+ years experience and still have an accident that is your fault and result in a death.

The same can be held true for an experienced gun owner like the subject of this thread.
The point being that just because an experienced driver has an accident doesn't mean we should simply abandon all driver training.

Honestly, I've grown pretty sick of the arguments that just because training and regulations don't prevent every single death, we should just not have any at all. It's the most foolish and ignorant argument of them all.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The point being that just because an experienced driver has an accident doesn't mean we should simply abandon all driver training.

Honestly, I've grown pretty sick of the arguments that just because training and regulations don't prevent every single death, we should just not have any at all. It's the most foolish and ignorant argument of them all.

Bump.
I agree, you simply cannot fix stupid.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
People (especially males) are higher risk in their teens to early twenties. And not just for accidents, but gun violence, rental cars, commercial driving ect. Many companies will not hire a professional driver under the age of 25 OR rent a car to a person under 25 because of the insurance rates.
I've seen a recent insurance industry stat that having a teen-aged male in a car increases the accident risk regardless who is driving. No matter the category of the driver, an accident is statistically more likely to occur if there is a teen-aged male in the car.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've seen a recent insurance industry stat that having a teen-aged male in a car increases the accident risk regardless who is driving. No matter the category of the driver, an accident is statistically more likely to occur if there is a teen-aged male in the car.
I believe this. Every time my teenage son is in the car, he changes the radio station to his gangster rap. Indeed, it makes me want to drive my car into a tree.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

I agree. Reminds of a posting I saw the other day that said something along the lines

" Using the excuse not to use vaccines since they don't work 100 percent is like
refusing to wear a parachute for the same reason ".

Old 01-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree. Reminds of a posting I saw the other day that said something along the lines

" Using the excuse not to use vaccines since they don't work 100 percent is like
refusing to wear a parachute for the same reason ".
Ha, My Ma used to say "well if your friends jumped out of an airplane with out a parachute, would you do that too"?

And last week I sent her this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0N0NCPcGk

Old 01-03-2015, 04:15 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes--that's why there is one rate for people under 21, another for people under 25, etc. It's got to do with estimated time behind the wheel, not their maturity level. Of course, that assumes that the person got their license at the age when it became legal to do so and that everyone of the same age has had approximately the same time of driving experience, but the actuaries have to base their risks on SOMETHING.

It takes at least one thousand hours of driving time for a new driver to be considered somewhat experienced.

We all know the rules don't apply across the board, of course. My 23-year-old daughter is a great driver. Her father and I had her driving in Manhattan on her learner's permit, and she has driven up to Boston, down to Virginia. My coworker's daughter, same age, has had four accidents close to her Jersey hometown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about people who get their license later in life? At 30 or 40?
Addressed above. I am guessing that the percentage of people who get licenses later in life is available data that can be factored in to a risk assessment.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
To me, this story is no different than "Child hits gear shift in running car and crashes into X" or "9 year old takes parents keys and is caught joyriding after high speed chase" that we see from time to time.

The only difference is it's one of those evil guns .

Parents/Adults do stupid things sometimes, kids do stupid things frequently that sometimes result in injury/death of themselves or someone else.

Do we push to outlaw cars (kids could get keys),swings and monkey bars (kids would NEVER push someone off causing injury/death) etc?
Think about how many lives would be spared from trauma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events