Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm a 35 yr old city dweller with a young family, and I appreciate this perspective. I believe people have the right to bear arms, but I question whether that right should be as unfettered as it is now. Do people really need the assault rifles, or multiple guns for defense? You hit the nail on the head when you wrote the lines below:

"I just think the response to the actual threat is so often vastly over compensated that it can easily get you in trouble"

"Call me lackadaisical but if I am feeling I need several guns to defend myself from folks around me I'll just move."

Thanks for your post.
People own multiple firearms for a purpose, you can only really fire one, accurately,at a time after all.

-Collectors
-Hunters (you shoot a deer with something other than you shoot a bear with other than what you shoot a pigeon with, typically).
-Self defense (I carry my M&P9 Shield in the summer, M&P9FS in the winter. Clothing and purpose dictates.)

On to assault rifles...the rifles you can buy without NFA approval are not assault rifles. Assault rifles, by definition, are machineguns, as it were. Machineguns are highly regulated. What you can buy, are semi-auto rifles.

Why would one want a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round magazine?

I personally like them for sporting events, carbine courses, shooting at the range, and many I know hunt large "herds" of hogs with them. Also, it makes a GREAT! self-defense weapon in the home. The lightweight projectiles are not so prone to go through multiple walls and exit a structure completely, the 30 round capacity gives you adequate potential to deal with multiple home intruders (happens more than you think) even accounting for the fact that you may well not connect 100%. Just because you have 30 rounds, does not mean you shoot the home intruder 30 times. It means you CAN! Either someone is a threat to your life/limb/property(some states), or they aren't. The amount of ammunition in your weapon does not change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
The finger belongs on a non-movable part of the firearm with a unique feel until it is pointed at something AND you have decided to engage that something. I personally prefer the chamber/barrel-hood area of my M&P's. They all feel the same. They all feel NOTHING AT ALL like a trigger.

This would cut down on ND's and collateral immensely if all police departments and civilian training were to include this..
It damn well SHOULD include this! Trigger discipline is fundamental to gun safety!

A tip my instructor gave me was to go out and buy a toy gun or an AirSoft pistol and simply carry it around the house in my hand all day for several days in a row, concentrating on keeping my trigger finger on the barrel and away from the trigger. Do that long enough, and the correct finger position comes to feel natural and shifting the finger down to the trigger feels odd - which is how it should be.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Safety leavers on guns are real easy to click off.

Most guns have hair triggers which are easy to squeeze off.

What do you consider a hair trigger? I think the lightest trigger I have is the Geissle trigger on my M4 style carbine. It's a 4.5# trigger. It won't go off without you wanting it to.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It damn well SHOULD include this! Trigger discipline is fundamental to gun safety!

A tip my instructor gave me was to go out and buy a toy gun or an AirSoft pistol and simply carry it around the house in my hand all day for several days in a row, concentrating on keeping my trigger finger on the barrel and away from the trigger. Do that long enough, and the correct finger position comes to feel natural and shifting the finger down to the trigger feels odd - which is how it should be.
Yep. Some people teach frame (Frank Proctor tried to get me to go to the frame), and some teach barrel-hood/breech, as some weapons don't have a nice place on the frame for that finger tip (Craig Douglas, who got ahold of me first and got me stuck on using that).

Anyway, here is some sporting use/training. Me out enjoying my M&P9 at a Frank Proctor performance Pistol course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9beSeCvRMlk

Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Unloaded guns don't kill people, loaded guns handled wrong can kill people.

I have taken unloaded and stuck them in my mouth
and pulled the trigger, and I am still here.

If the guns were loaded I would be dead.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
So you are say that the quote "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is only true some of the time.
Nowhere in that post can I see where you got that interpretation.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Keep playing that game and one day you will get a "bang" when you expected a "click". It's best to consider the weapon loaded 100% of the time. Much less bad can happen if you consider it loaded 100% of the time in the way you handle it. Not quite true of the other.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:23 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:

I see a Darwin Award in your future.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I see a Darwin Award in your future.
Man Shoots Himself In The Head While Demonstrating Gun Safety « CBS Detroit

Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:

Why do some people find the need to announce their stupidity?
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events