U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:35 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,623,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Thinning of the herd.
Well, to be sure, we don't know ALL about this person. Everyone has some aspect of them that is dumb as a brick, we all do. She could have been a seriously productive and responsible person in most all other aspects of her life, though. However, yes, Darwin is pretty hard-nosed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,357,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I actually feel really sorry for people who feel like they need to be armed all of the time. It sounds like a stressful and miserable way to live. Your odds of being killed by a stranger are so slim--unless you are involved in illegal business or in a violent relationship I cannot see the point.
Exactly. Instead of buying a gun, why not look inward and ask themselves why so many people apparently want to kill them.

Or, what the heck. Buy a gun, keep it loaded, and ultimately get shot by it. Either one works for me.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Well, to be sure, we don't know ALL about this person. Everyone has some aspect of them that is dumb as a brick, we all do. She could have been a seriously productive and responsible person in most all other aspects of her life, though. However, yes, Darwin is pretty hard-nosed
I heard the husband said she was a "very responsible gun owner". Um, "very responsible gun owners" don't get shot by their own guns. I'm just glad it was her and not her child. The collective gene pool just got bumped up a notch.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:41 PM

898 posts, read 659,078 times
This is why it's a horrible idea for women gun owners to stick the gun in her purse. She should of had it in a holster on her body.

When you carry a firearm, you have to realize it's the most serious responsibility you will ever have in your life. You need to be aware of that gun every second it is on your body.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:41 PM

73,007 posts, read 64,496,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Just...how??? Forget the safety settings. HOW, do you take a gun in your purse to Walmart along with a 2 year old, stick him in the shopping cart, and then let him play with the purse that has a gun in it??? How are these people allowed to reproduce?? Honestly, yes it's sad that the woman died, but I would've been a lot sadder if that gun ended up shooting an innocent bystander (or the child or another child!) instead. At least this way no one else suffered due to this woman's lack of brains.
If it had been a shopper who was shot, instead of the mother, nothing would have happened. The police would have declared it another "tragic accident", end of story. Parents like this need to face gross negligence charges of some sort, to send a message to everyone that this kind of carelessness carries legal consequences. Too many gun-owner parents are getting off with "oops!"

Q. Since when is "oops" a defense in court?

A. When a small child and a gun are involved.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-31-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

Oh, and in the certain event gun nuts presume I'm "out to get them", I'd have the same opinion of a guy who decides to walk a tightrope across the Grand Canyon and falls to his death, or a group of drunks who down a bottle of Jack and decide to get out the archery set. It's not about guns. It's about idiots.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,795,007 times
Now the child will grow up, and have to deal with
the knowledge for the rest of his life, that he shot and kill his own mother.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,586,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I actually feel really sorry for people who feel like they need to be armed all of the time. It sounds like a stressful and miserable way to live. Your odds of being killed by a stranger are so slim--unless you are involved in illegal business or in a violent relationship I cannot see the point.
I feel sorry for homeless people, unemployed people, people with disabilities. I cannot for the life of me pity someone who does or does not carry a weapon. That's like saying, I feel sorry for someone who speeds, knowing full well they have increased their odds of getting into an accident or worse.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM

6,335 posts, read 3,509,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If it had been a shopper who was shot, instead of the mother, nothing would have happened. The police would have declared it another "tragic accident", end of story. Parents like this need to face gross negligence charges of some sort...
Except that there's no one to charge in this case, as the negligent person is dead.

Had the child shot someone else, I'd fully support charging the mother with negligence. Your gun is YOUR responsibility to secure.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM

6,335 posts, read 3,509,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
This is why it's a horrible idea for women gun owners to stick the gun in her purse. She should of had it in a holster on her body.
True, but harder to do if you're female, because female fashion isn't as uniform as men's. Most of my pants don't even have any belt loops - so much for using any waistband holster. (And of course an inside-the-waistband holster can't be used with a dress at all.) Women are less likely to routinely wear a jacket indoors, so shoulder holsters don't work as well for us. Ankle holsters? Think of all the women's fashions that leave the lower leg exposed. That pretty much leaves belly bands as the only viable option - but many women are unfamiliar with them, and it isn't easy to find one that fits well and also holds your particular firearm securely.

No wonder so many women resort to off-body carry in a purse! It's the only option that works pretty much all the time, no matter what the woman is wearing. Unfortunately, it has grave disadvantages which not enough women take seriously.

Quote:
When you carry a firearm, you have to realize it's the most serious responsibility you will ever have in your life. You need to be aware of that gun every second it is on your body.
This, in spades. You MUST retain control of that weapon at all times, and also have a very secure place to stow it when you need to enter a location where carry is not legally permitted. It's far more of a hassle than most people realize when they first consider carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events