Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 PM

28,563 posts, read 18,563,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
I appreciate your honesty. When carrying a firearm for personal defense even one with a safety it is preferred to carry with a reloaded chamber hammer down. There are exceptions such as with a Colt 1911. The idea being given the speed at which an attack occurs you do not want to have to fumble with cycling a slide to load a round into the chamber and fumble with a safety. The majority of modern Pistols cannot discharge regardless of having a round in the chamber with the safety off unless the Gun is held in a very specific manor deactivating secondary safeties. An example would be the Springfield Armory XDM.
Although some like the Taurus, S&W, and Ruger small 9mm that depend only on a long, heavy trigger pull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I read it was a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Ah, then, probably a Shield. My personal favorite...smoothest trigger pull of the bunch.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This discussion is becoming positively surreal.

It's really not a problem for those of us nicely dressed professionals whose minds it has never crossed to carry weapons.

And, frankly, I sincerely doubt many nicely dressed professionals consider this a problem at all. I believe most nicely dressed professionals worry a lot more about their careers than carrying guns.
Depends on whether their professions take them into dark, deserted places at night and whether they've been stalked before.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 PM

274 posts, read 237,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Moreover, it's childish.
On the contrary your irrational fears are childish. Refusing to accept the facts are childish. Firearms ownership is a right which should be exercised by all responsibly. The same people here calling for a ban on Guns or chastising people for owning them are the same people protesting and attacking the Police.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
I suppose you saw this in your crystal ball as there is no evidence to support such nonsense. Are you a swammi?

FYI Many States charge the parents should their Children get access to their Guns and either kill themselves or another person. But hey let's not let the truth get in the way. I mean it hasn't slowed you down yet.
None of the cases that involved kids posted here and in the news in the last year or so resulted in parents being charged. In none of the spectacular cases in the last few years where a small child got hold of a gun in the house or car and shot another child or family member were the parents charged. But if you know of some such cases, please post links, because I think at this point, most of us here would like to see that.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why wasn't the safety on (providing it had one) ?
We don't know that it wasn't do we? But when carrying a Gun for defense a manual safety impedes your ability to respond to an attack which is the very reason one carries a Gun. So having to work any number of manual safety's during an attack would render the weapon useless and its owner dead or seriously injured.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
We don't know that it wasn't do we? But when carrying a Gun for defense a manual safety impedes your ability to respond to an attack which is the very reason one carries a Gun. So having to work any number of manual safety's during an attack would render the weapon useless and its owner dead or seriously injured.
Well, not useless. A whole lot of knowledgeable and experienced people still carry a 1911 design cocked-and-locked.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I really don't get this. The woman was a nuclear research scientist with a lot of firearms training and had a special bag to carry it in. So how can this be explained with the usual excuses. She apparently did everything right. How was the kid able to shoot the gun if she was so into safety? There is simply no way to rationalize it other than the fact that it would not have happened had there not been a gun--period.

"It's unclear what sort of gun was used or what exactly happened, though police said safety measures were followed."

Idaho Mother Veronica Rutledge Shot by Son in Walmart - The Atlantic
She became complacent and unfortunately cost her everything. People make mistakes. No matter how well educated or how careful. Nobody is perfect nobody.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,307,274 times
Dang it guys, which one of you left the door open?

Thread shut down for rampant deterioration and personal attacks in 3....2.....1.....

Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I understand that she's dead but her family defending her saying "she's not irresponsible" is like a toddler does something wrong and tries to defend it. If it is not irresponsible what is?
She was not irresponsible she was complacent and paid the ultimate price . Don't worry she won't do it again. Just be thankful you are blessed with hindsight at someone else's expense and leave it at that. All the facts I have read indicate she was a responsible person who became distracted or complacent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events