Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 12:06 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Ha, My Ma used to say "well if your friends jumped out of an airplane with out a parachute, would you do that too"?

And last week I sent her this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0N0NCPcGk
LOL...had to look this one up. It seems a lot of people say it's fake and just a promo...still fun though. Thx !

"However, online critics have pointed out that it is unusual that the skydiver's voice seems unaffected by the G-force, and the science behind the stunt is somewhat farcical.

It has also been suggested that the video is in fact a marketing ploy of the brand new Factor6 trampoline park in New Orleans."

Man jumps from a plane WITHOUT a parachute and lands on a trampoline | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,508,714 times
Wasn't this thread about the tragic death of a mother, shot by her 2 year old son who gained access to her gun?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:13 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Wasn't this thread about the tragic death of a mother, shot by her 2 year old son who gained access to her gun?
45 pages later, not anymore! lol

Old 01-04-2015, 01:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,714,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If the gun was a pistol, yes, a round would have to be in the chamber (which is how you have to carry a firearm if it's going to be useful in a self-defense situation). But you don't have to be strong to flick a safety off, and a toddler could easily do that unintentionally in the process of handling the gun.

And if the gun was a revolver, there is no safety, and if the gun is fully loaded there would be a round under the hammer no matter how the cylinder was turned. Revolvers have stiffer triggers than pistols, but a strong toddler (especially using two hands) could fire one.

The bottom line is that loaded firearms must ALWAYS be kept completely out of reach of small children. And that means that if the gun is being carried in a purse, that purse MUST remain in Mom's hands at all times, no exceptions. Junior can't be allowed to touch it, much less open it.

True. Sadly, there will always be people who ignore even the most basic, common sense rules pertaining to firearms.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Yes, but it morphed into a thread about safety and regulations, hence the parachute stuff

Now my opinion on gun control. I'm all for strict gun laws. The argument that because more people die in car accidents or other means is not an argument.

Regardless of the method of death, if there is a way to curb those deaths, why shouldn't the US try it?

The crapola about the second amendment was dealt with quite well in the video I posted. It's an AMENDMENT !!

Old 01-04-2015, 02:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,247,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, but it morphed into a thread about safety and regulations, hence the parachute stuff

Now my opinion on gun control. I'm all for strict gun laws. The argument that because more people die in car accidents or other means is not an argument.

Regardless of the method of death, if there is a way to curb those deaths, why shouldn't the US try it?

The crapola about the second amendment was dealt with quite well in the video I posted. It's an AMENDMENT !!
I agree with the bolded. More people die in car accidents because more people are driving/riding (using) cars, than there are people handling/shooting (again using) firearms on any given day. It's comparing apples to oranges IMO.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM

23,434 posts, read 13,670,592 times
Quote:

If one gets the power to change an amendment or even hold a Constitutional Convention, feel free.

But those things are very firmly in place for a reason. Hence, "why shouldn't the US try it?" just doesn't cut it.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If one gets the power to change an amendment or even hold a Constitutional Convention, feel free.

But those things are very firmly in place for a reason. Hence, "why shouldn't the US try it?" just doesn't cut it.
Firmly in place? LOL

It's not easy, but what do you think an amendment is? Prohibition was an amendment that was repealed.

So I would rephrase your statement to " in place but can be changed or repealed" and " the US should try it because it works, it saves lives, and it's the 21st Century, not the 18th "

As a foreigner, Canadian, you may wonder what stakes I have in this. Illegal weapons pouring into Canada come from... ???

Old 01-04-2015, 05:03 PM

23,434 posts, read 13,670,592 times
Quote:
..... Prohibition was an amendment that was repealed....
The Congressional Apportionment Amendment has sat there since 1789, the Titles of Nobility since 1810, the Corwin Amendment since 1861, and the Child Labor Amendment has been pending since 1924.

The ERA failed in 1982 and District of Columbia Voting Rights in 1985.

Not everything that gets proposed, no matter how reasonable in appearance gets passed.

A and B

A: To change the Constitution, it's either of the two methods I listed before.

B: I'm fine with you staying on your side of the border and me on mine and neither of us messing with the others' affairs.

............................and C. As a Texan, I believe I am quite in the right to say this, if in jest.....................

......................................."you ole carpetbagger, you!".

Old 01-04-2015, 06:15 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
Quote:
As a foreigner, Canadian, you may wonder what stakes I have in this. Illegal weapons pouring into Canada come from... ???
So make a law that makes them legal in Canada. If there was not a demand there would not be the importation.

Do those illegal guns go in the hands of law abiding citizens ? If not, you think criminals won't be able to get guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events