Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 05:28 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
honestly, it could have went off inside the purse and hit her. you're overthinking the sequence of possible events. no "aiming" is required to accidentally hit a person in a store.
It does take some pretty bad karma, though.

Although it certainly happened, I'm still trying to figure out how it happened. Either it was a single-action semi-auto cocked and maybe locked (we'd hope anyone would be that smart) or more likely a double-action (or striker action) semi-auto or revolver. The former would entail releasing the safety (unless it was a tricked-out 1911, the safety would be small and hard to catch accidently); the latter would entail a quite long and hard trigger pull (long and hard for a toddler). And at the same time, the toddler would have to be holding it pointed at the mother at a vital point.

I'm having a hard time picturing it, despite the fact it obviously happened....

...unless someone had previously been "training" the toddler or playing with him with a realistic simulated gun so that the toddler had a glimmer of aiming and squeezing hard.

Of course, there is the problem of the woman not having a purse with a firearm in it firmly under her control at every moment. It's not as though someone couldn't stroll by, lift it, and be out the door before she could contact a manager to get the doors closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's ridiculous. In what reality do you live that inanimate objects can do things on their own? In mine they can't. So explain that and get back to me. Mom is responsible for her own death.
Mom shouldn't have had a gun in her purse. Mom shouldn't have had a loaded gun in her purse. Mom shouldn't have had a loaded gun with the safety off in her purse. She shouldn't have had a gun, but the law says she can so she did. Dumb law. Period.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:48 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Are you asking more of the gun owner than every other person?

Kids climb into cars and drive them away getting into accidents.

Kids, drink drano and other household products that are poison so often it s a leading cause of their deaths.

Falling down drinks figure out not only where they put their car keys, but manage to get them out of their pockets, start the car and drive miles and miles before killing an innocent family. Some of those drunks are well educated, highly respected in their communities and have very good jobs.

How often do those stories make the national news?
And in all these situations, we have passed regulations that have been effective in reducing the number of these types of accidents from happening. Cars are being made safer every year. Products are marked with warning labels, drugs come in child-proof bottles, driving drunk is illegal. And yes, I've heard the tired old argument that it doesn't prevent every solitary accident, but it prevents a LOT of them. Way more than if absolutely nothing was done about anything.

On the contrary, while the lunatics are running the asylum, we aren't allowed to pass any laws in this country that might make guns safer. In fact, laws that used to be in place are now being repealed in many states. So if the repercussions make national news, I think that's a pretty small thing for the ammosexuals to have to put up with, all things considered.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Exactly. Instead of buying a gun, why not look inward and ask themselves why so many people apparently want to kill them.

Or, what the heck. Buy a gun, keep it loaded, and ultimately get shot by it. Either one works for me.
One of my friend's dad's killed a guy a while back. Guy shoved a gun in his face at a traffic light and was jacking his car. He responded by blowing their brains all over the pavement as soon as their attention shifted. Saved his own life most likely. It has been proven in my state that carjackings with a deadly weapon almost ALWAYS result in fatalities if successful. That is why we have the laws we do here, commonly called the "shoot the carjacker" law, as it were.

A few months ago, one of my co-workers husband's was robbed at gunpoint of his vehicle keys immediately upon arriving home after losing a brief tussle with the would-be gunman. They tried to kill him but their weapon malfunctioned.

Then there are cases like these were people who were armed prevented the mass shootings that liberals love to use to perpetrate their gun control schemes, wonder why you didn't see THESE on the national news? Probably because the news is a bunch of liberal hacks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkqzsIjujI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qj832AaII

You know, you live in a GREAT world where you simply can't be a victim. I'd love to live in your world. You know, that warm fuzzy place where "it won't happen to me". Kindof like the world the OP lived in with her careless gun-handling habits. So I ask...if you are raped and murdered, can I safely say that the gene pool just improved? Or is turn-about not fair play. I sure know you'd say something like that if someone were careless and a firearm of theirs was negligently discharged and they died because of it. Just curious...

Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It does take some pretty bad karma, though.

Although it certainly happened, I'm still trying to figure out how it happened. Either it was a single-action semi-auto cocked and maybe locked (we'd hope anyone would be that smart) or more likely a double-action (or striker action) semi-auto or revolver. The former would entail releasing the safety (unless it was a tricked-out 1911, the safety would be small and hard to catch accidently); the latter would entail a quite long and hard trigger pull (long and hard for a toddler). And at the same time, the toddler would have to be holding it pointed at the mother at a vital point.

I'm having a hard time picturing it, despite the fact it obviously happened....

...unless someone had previously been "training" the toddler or playing with him with a realistic simulated gun so that the toddler had a glimmer of aiming and squeezing hard.

Of course, there is the problem of the woman not having a purse with a firearm in it firmly under her control at every moment. It's not as though someone couldn't stroll by, lift it, and be out the door before she could contact a manager to get the doors closed.
Toddlers squeeze, man. I am NOT a "kid guy" and even I know this. Give a toddler a finger. It's gonna have chubby fingers wrapped around it and they will squeeze. Who knows how exactly the firearm was grabbed? We do know the trigger was squeezed and it HAD to be pointing somewhere. Sadly, it was pointed at a person.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
And in all these situations, we have passed regulations that have been effective in reducing the number of these types of accidents from happening. Cars are being made safer every year. Products are marked with warning labels, drugs come in child-proof bottles, driving drunk is illegal. And yes, I've heard the tired old argument that it doesn't prevent every solitary accident, but it prevents a LOT of them. Way more than if absolutely nothing was done about anything.

On the contrary, while the lunatics are running the asylum, we aren't allowed to pass any laws in this country that might make guns safer. In fact, laws that used to be in place are now being repealed in many states. So if the repercussions make national news, I think that's a pretty small thing for the ammosexuals to have to put up with, all things considered.
SO, just what law would have prevented this?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:

What exactly do you think will make a firearm safer than common sense and proper training? nerfbullets?

This is my problem with people like you. You want to come into my house (via legislation), and dick with things that you don't understand and couldn't effectively use if your life depended on it, in many cases, all while the people you use to champion your cause carry weapons themselves, like senator Feinstein, because they at least have a clue about the fact that victims don't always choose themselves.

You don't want to own a firearm? Fine. I think that's your call. But don't go dicking around with things that are my call.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:27 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Toddlers squeeze, man. I am NOT a "kid guy" and even I know this. Give a toddler a finger. It's gonna have chubby fingers wrapped around it and they will squeeze. Who knows how exactly the firearm was grabbed? We do know the trigger was squeezed and it HAD to be pointing somewhere. Sadly, it was pointed at a person.
I had two of them. Unless trained to aim and squeeze, a toddler is going to concentrate on one thing at a time. If he's concentrating on squeezing (and it will take concentration for a long double-action trigger pull), he's not holding it up and out, much less aiming it (big world, little bullet--he almost certainly had to have been deliberately pointing it toward his mother).

For that matter, if the gun was in the "pistol pocket" of the purse, it wouldn't have been something he'd immediately find when rummaging through the purse...unless he knew where it was and what he was looking for.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:27 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You know, you live in a GREAT world where you simply can't be a victim. I'd love to live in your world. You know, that warm fuzzy place where "it won't happen to me". Kindof like the world the OP lived in with her careless gun-handling habits. So I ask...if you are raped and murdered, can I safely say that the gene pool just improved? Or is turn-about not fair play. I sure know you'd say something like that if someone were careless and a firearm of theirs was negligently discharged and they died because of it. Just curious...
Do you also not drive? Your odds of getting killed in a car accident are much higher than getting murdered at gunpoint. If you're so worried about death, how do you get behind the wheel? You could slip and fall in your shower, you could fall off a ladder, your water heater could explode and burn your house down while you're sleeping. More likely, that southern cooking will kill you faster than a car jacking. Heart disease and cancer are the leading causes of premature death in America, but something tells me you're not a Vegan. Please, don't try to sell me on the idea that the average gun zealot is a "reasonable person taking reasonable precautions to protect themselves from peril". That's just not true. It really is all about the guns.

Oh, and to answer your question, if I'm raped and murdered, you are free to safely say whatever you want. Despite popular belief, there's more than one amendment to the constitution.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Lmao....ANOTHER ONE!??

I happen to think that these parents actually wanted to suicide, so they're giving the guns to their kids saying "sweetheart, shoot here, shoot at me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events