Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Only in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Bingo. Gun lovers have a habit of ignoring the fact that most criminals steal their guns from people who bought them legally in the first place, or from stores intending to sell them legally. They're much easier to come by when you've got virtually millions of them just laying around.
Didn't Canada just have 8 killed with a stolen handgun here the other day? Last I checked, cocaine is easy to buy here. It's been illegal for a while now...

Old 01-05-2015, 07:32 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So make a law that makes them legal in Canada. If there was not a demand there would not be the importation.

Do those illegal guns go in the hands of law abiding citizens ? If not, you think criminals won't be able to get guns?
Talking with a friend that is a former Canadian, she is very happy to be here and able to purchase firearms. And is taking full advantage of it. From what she has told me , there is a growing drug trade in Toronto , Serbians and other foreigners and where there are drugs there are firearms. They get funneled up from Detroit. So it doesn't look like it is the law abiding getting them..

Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know it most likely won't happen, because you are the only country in the civilized world that equates guns with freedom.

Constitutions in other countries change with the times. It's not, nor should it be considered a sacred document. Keeping an amendment that is 200 years out of date is something other places wouldn't do, but then again, I still see people in the US write out cheques in grocery stores.
You've got some points. We, as Americans, have let our freedoms be slowly eroded away. We are slowly but surely killing off what makes us different and better than others.

Sadly at some point the citizens owning guns may be the only thing that stands between our freedoms and those that wish to totally remove them.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
Now babies are killing their mothers with guns in the States?

If that doesn't stop and make them think about their gun laws, I'm not sure what would.

Scary part is it doesn't even seem to surprise them! Insanity.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Didn't Canada just have 8 killed with a stolen handgun here the other day? Last I checked, cocaine is easy to buy here. It's been illegal for a while now...
Yes in Edmonton, a domestic dispute.

Cocaine easy to buy? Well, coming from an American that is rich. Isn't cocaine easy to buy practically anywhere?

As for the stolen gun, it emphasizes my point that the more legal guns out there, the more criminals will have access to them...as shown repeatedly in the U.S.

However one or two incidences are meaningless. You have to look at overall stats. Those stats prove, less guns, less gun violence.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You've got some points. We, as Americans, have let our freedoms be slowly eroded away. We are slowly but surely killing off what makes us different and better than others.

Sadly at some point the citizens owning guns may be the only thing that stands between our freedoms and those that wish to totally remove them.
Canada isn't perfect either. We are on constant watch of what is going here at home.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
.......However one or two incidences are meaningless. You have to look at overall stats. Those stats prove, less guns, less gun violence.
How do propose to stop it?

If the Cottage Industry of Spain during WWII, if the bullet making in Israel's early years, or even what little it takes to make an AK-47 prove anything, it's that people with a little bit of land, a decent machine shop, and the will can make weapons.

They may not be perfect or ideal, but like the man with one eye in the kingdom of the blind, they would certainly have one up against the disarmed.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Yes in Edmonton, a domestic dispute.

Cocaine easy to buy? Well, coming from an American that is rich. Isn't cocaine easy to buy practically anywhere?
I used to live in college housing and worked at a cheap chain resturant. I could have gotten 8 balls for free. My roommate did...I was just never into it. If cocaine is that easy, you think firearms could ever be difficult? Oh, the felons at the restaurant were packing, too. No, they never shot anyone. Most said they kept them for protection from their former "thug life" and I never heard of one being used.

As for the stolen gun, it emphasizes my point that the more legal guns out there, the more criminals will have access to them...as shown repeatedly in the U.S.
Make them illegal, and then ONLY criminals will have them. Thats even worse. We've gone from "even odds" to "slanted odds" in your encounter with the lawless.

However one or two incidences are meaningless. You have to look at overall stats. Those stats prove, less guns, less gun violence.
Here is something interesting for you:
Illinois experience again shows CCW opponents were all wrong - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Canada isn't perfect either. We are on constant watch of what is going here at home.
And if things go badly? What will y'all do, fight 'em with hockey sticks? In all conflicts with an out of control government (read WW2 as an example) the one thing the resistance needed was weapons of all sorts. Do you somehow think Hitler would've been able to kill 6 million ARMED people as easy as he did? Government gone bad, prime example.

Does it get messy sometimes having the rights we do? Yes, yes it does. Do bad people take advantage of the rights the good have? Always. Since the dawn of time bad people took up weapons to take from others. Clubs and stones then bows and arrows, swords and knives and then guns.
So, the logical answer is to disarm the good people leaving them to depend on the myth that the police will save them?
Seriously? As recent events have shown the police, even with all their protective/offensive gear can't even totally protect themselves from bad people wanting to do harm, and not just by gun but axes,swords etc. So why should we be asked (told) to do more with nothing?

I fully stand by the idea "when you have seconds to live help is minutes away". We as citizens are the last line of defense against those that might want to take what we have be it property or life by force.

I have something for you to ponder. On your border with Montana for years every time some possibly armed criminal rushed the border the border officers would RUN, abandoning their station letting the criminal (or nutcase) free to enter Canada.
Why???? they were unarmed.

Do I blame them? No, I wouldn't want to face a possible armed person without anything more than a pen,baton and my voice.

So, what was done about this if anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events