Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/us...=top-news&_r=0

Can the madness get any worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:39 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Another "responsible" gun owner wins the Darwin Award.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
^ Hey, let's not be so quick to judge. Maybe mom threatened her kid with a spankin' and he was just defending himself.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Not to make light of the horrible situation, but how is a 2 year old able to grab a loaded gun from a purse in a cart, and shoot themselves.

Ya it happened, but still.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Very sad and tragic.

As the report states it is very common up in that area to carry loaded weapons. I have no problem whatsoever with that proclivity, yet, of course, it sets you up for not particularly uncommon gun accidents of the sort.

I'll get grief from the those who cannot conceive of a life lived otherwise, but I chuckle while recalling chatting with a friend speaking of her father-in-law from rural Idaho and when borrowing his truck to go to the grocery store there she had to endure a 10 minute orientation of where the three loaded guns were hidden in the truck for those times when needed. I'm thinking to myself, in freaking rural safe Idaho (my family is from there) how can this be what is a cornerstone of everyday life? I just think the response to the actual threat is so often vastly over compensated that it can easily get you in trouble (if ever there was an understatement of a word.)

I grew up hunting and to this day enjoy target practice and skeet shooting occasionally but there is not one time in my 53 years of life that I ever wish I had or even slightly (and I've lived in and traveled frequently in those supposedly crazy dangerous cities all over the world) needed a gun in any other situation. Call me lackadaisical but if I am feeling I need several guns to defend myself from folks around me I'll just move.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:59 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Didn't something like this just happen a few weeks ago? A 2-yr-old found a gun on the floor at home, in the living room (wtf?!), and shot his mom dead with it?

Is anyone seeing the writing on the wall here? I guess everyone thinks, "that would never happen to me".

Guess again.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not to make light of the horrible situation, but how is a 2 year old able to grab a loaded gun from a purse in a cart, and shoot themselves.

Ya it happened, but still.
He didn't shoot himself, he shot his mom.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:37 PM

170 posts, read 133,779 times
America's obsession with guns. What's that saying by pro gun owners, "guns don't kill people, they are inanimate objects..."

I know very little about guns but how could a 2 year old pull the trigger? Wouldn't a bullet also have to be in the chamber and no safety on?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
I know very little about guns but how could a 2 year old pull the trigger? Wouldn't a bullet also have to be in the chamber and no safety on?
If the gun was a pistol, yes, a round would have to be in the chamber (which is how you have to carry a firearm if it's going to be useful in a self-defense situation). But you don't have to be strong to flick a safety off, and a toddler could easily do that unintentionally in the process of handling the gun.

And if the gun was a revolver, there is no safety, and if the gun is fully loaded there would be a round under the hammer no matter how the cylinder was turned. Revolvers have stiffer triggers than pistols, but a strong toddler (especially using two hands) could fire one.

The bottom line is that loaded firearms must ALWAYS be kept completely out of reach of small children. And that means that if the gun is being carried in a purse, that purse MUST remain in Mom's hands at all times, no exceptions. Junior can't be allowed to touch it, much less open it.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The bottom line is that loaded firearms must ALWAYS be kept completely out of reach of small children. And that means that if the gun is being carried in a purse, that purse MUST remain in Mom's hands at all times, no exceptions. Junior can't be allowed to touch it, much less open it.
Aren't gun owners required to get training in this sort of thing in order to get their license?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events