Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times

Advertisements

Every year, tens of billions of tax dollars are lost to waste, fraud and abuse within the federal government.

All in, the government wastes close to $800 billion every year. Enough to fix every road and bridge, invest in jobs and the future, and really help those who need it most.

Auditors Say Feds Needlessly Wasted $43 Billion

If we'd get rid of all the thieves in Washington,by downsizing government to about 1/4 the size it is,our financial woes would be over! The worst enemy of the people is our own government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Its incredible. We don't mind paying our fair share but geez, if you just waste it, that's really bad. Let the citizens keep their 43 billion so we can pump it into the economy, there's no excuse for this stuff, those billions are money that hard working average citizens busted their richards to acquire and these people act as if a money tree is growing in their backyard and there's an unlimited supply.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:02 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Unfortunately that's the way things will always go. Seems like we always read of these waste every few years but nothing changes.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
This will continue as long as people keep viewing the members of congress as sugar daddies and only thinking "what's in it for me" instead of "what will this do to everyone" or "does this benefit the nation" either directly or indirectly.
I would argue things like a Wine appreciation center or the history of pork welcome center does nothing for either but benefits certain business interests and a very microscopic local area.
Just to highlight how insanely silly this gets, just remind yourself of the shrimp on a treadmill.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Remember that 43 billion was some persons or some corporations income. This is trivial compared to what we waste on Agricultural subsidies or the military contractors.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
The government isn’t the problem; it’s the corporations with lobbyists causing fraud and corruption with YOUR elected representatives. Until you change that nothing else will change, large or small isn’t the fix. The government is owned and operated by big business and corporations, you allowed it and the lobbyists bought it.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Every year, tens of billions of tax dollars are lost to waste, fraud and abuse within the federal government.

All in, the government wastes close to $800 billion every year. Enough to fix every road and bridge, invest in jobs and the future, and really help those who need it most.

If we'd get rid of all the thieves in Washington,by downsizing government to about 1/4 the size it is,our financial woes would be over! The worst enemy of the people is our own government!
The problem is, Congress virtually never follows the recommendations of the IG reports, which often involve having more government employees working on oversight of certain programs. Even the link to the article you posted doesn't even share the details of what was in the report.

They like the american public to remain ignorant on this.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Also, it's worth noting:

$43 Billion was identified, and $11B of that was RETURNED.

So the remaining $32B is what Congress failed to take action on.

$32B is roughly 1.07% of the entire federal budget.

So, while it's not an amount of money to laugh at, we're talking about 1% of the budget.

My company wastes a larger percentage than that printing reports for meetings that no one ever looks at.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

I can promise they won't vote themselves out of office, nor will they make it an option for others to do so.

This country is, quite simply, headed toward another civil war. What will the sides me? Who knows. I just know that I hope it's forestalled until I'm an old man and don't care anymore. I don't feel that it can be avoided unless our country goes to war. Real war. Say, Russia.

Sadly, war is the only thing that would unite our country. People are so busy "looking for someone to hate" that we are all busy hating one another, and hating to "stop someone from hating", and being all PC, and all sorts of crap.

Maybe this makes better sense if someone else wrote it, but I think you get the gist if you understand what I'm getting at.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
The article is awfully vague about waste, but here is one thing that I know. Unless the government burned the money, it was spent on something. That something was produced by a private company, and if the government spends less, it buys less from the private contractors.

For example: About a year ago a teen conducted an experiment in which he concluded that the US government could save nearly $500 million in ink and paper if it printed all of its documents in Garamond font instead of Times New Roman. Let's assume that his conclusions are valid (they probably aren't valid, but for the sake of argument, let's say that they are.)

If the government spends $500 million less on paper and ink, then:
a. the companies that produce the paper and ink will see a drop in sales and revenue.
b. when revenues go down, companies may have to lay off people
c. when people are laid off, they rely on unemployment and other government benefits.
d. laid off people spend less and the decrease in spending hits restaurants, grocers, etc.

It is not a national tragedy, but in a city or town where the paper industry or the ink/toner industry is the major employer, it will have important repercussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events