U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 PM

8,919 posts, read 4,860,322 times

Advertisements

Hallmark channel has been running it for the past few years live, no commercials. It's something of a 4 part sequence.

There's an hour before the parade when they are in the background, looking at some of the floats, talking to some of the people, before the parade starts. Conceptually, I suppose, parts of that could be pre-recorded.

Then there is the parade which is live with no commercials.

Right after the live showing of the broadcast, Hallmark does an encore that does have commercial breaks.

Mom got me watching a few years ago when she was alive and well. Then, when she was under hospice care, I made sure they had her TV going for that so she could see. From that time that Mom introduced me up to last year, I recorded it.

But not this year. This year was the first time in a long time when I didn't have to work New Year's, so I got to travel to see relatives yesterday. Still watched it, though........maybe I can find a consumer source that did record it so I can have a copy for this year, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:03 AM

607 posts, read 590,450 times
I would imagine it is on the web as well..

Here is the parade website if you would like to check(prob some interesting backstories on the floats as well)..

Interesting fact...The first color televised program was the Tournament of Roses(the actual name) in 1953....on NBC

Tournament of Roses

Old 01-03-2015, 11:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,748,519 times
i taped both the one on nbc & the one on hgtv. i noticed the one on nbc wasn't showing the floats in order. at one point there was a float that went over some streamers of blue & silver, but i hadn't seen where those streamers came from. when we came back from commercial break THEN we got to see the float that spat out the streamers. i found that quite odd.

hgtv did a MUCH better job, imo. it was commercial free, it was shown in order AND most importantly, we actually learned something about the floats (this one has nyjer seed on it; that one has 12k flowers on it; this one is operated by an atv), while nbc wanted to tell me much about nothing on their floats.

in the future, i will only watch the hgtv version.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 AM

14,009 posts, read 13,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i noticed the one on nbc wasn't showing the floats in order.
KTLA usually has the best coverage.
Watch Rose Parade 2015: Live on TV, online and through Social Media | MLive.com

Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,415,118 times
NBC will show floats they missed during the commercial breaks during the next segment, sometimes out of order.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 AM

31,260 posts, read 57,432,315 times
"Pre-taped" is redundant.

Other than that, does any of this really matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events