U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 04:43 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,615,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
A friend of mine is on the NYPD and he shot himself in the leg with his glock while he was cleaning it. LOL Idiot.
I've seen this happen before. Lax is more like it rather than idiot though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And people in law enforcement wonder why they have trouble getting dates, when they're single...
Really? I've never met that officer. Do you have any clue how many badge bunnies are out there???

Old 01-04-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just fine. What are you talking about?

Well that's why they call them criminals. Ten years or less to bring the most resistant ones in line. In 20 years the next generation of criminals won't know how to get their hands on a gun. They will be a lot less lethal to deal with. This thread is not about criminals. It is about people supposedly on the law abiding side of things that do stupid things with guns. Things that they could not do if guns were not so readily available.
Indeed? It's worked so well with cocaine...

Old 01-04-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm quite serious. Not everyone gets emotional in an emergency, no matter who is involved. Some people actually react in quite the opposite manner, and get very unemotional as a coping mechanism. It's very possible for someone who's been in law enforcement for a long period of time to be conditioned not to have the physical responses that often cause heighten emotional responses (racing heart, hyperventilation, etc.).
I've seen it numerous times. People react differently. His reaction means nothing. It's the rest of the story that will count.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,694,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I've seen this happen before. Lax is more like it rather than idiot though.
Nah idiot. Though it has served him well he has moved up in rank several times since that incident.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:27 AM

2,957 posts, read 3,195,085 times
Wait! Did they say the gun WAS fired twice?
If so then there's your evidence re ''accidental discharge''. Once, maybe. Twice? Nah.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,205,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Who knows if it is accidental or not.

However one thing to point out - police officers are not immune to accidental shootings. On the contrary, the number of negligent and accidental discharges caused by police officers would scare you - just do a google search. Many probably go unreported. And this is something to think about for those people that say only the police should own guns. A police officer with a weapon scares me because I do not know his level of comprehension with a weapon, a civilian with a carry permit at least I know he's had training (in most states).

There are reasons for this - a police officer gets complacent with his weapon, handles it every day, becomes to familiar and comfortable with it. Complacency kills! Another reason is these glocks (idiot proof weapon commonly used in LE), which are also popular civilian weapons (not sure if a glock was involved here). No safety? Yeah, not for me. I do not choose that as my carry weapon because of this. A third reason is lack of training. You think police take regular firearms training? Think again.

You are absolutely right about the accidental discharges. I know of a couple first hand as well. One was in a car with another officer.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,195,085 times
Are there any new developments in this case?

Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,061,209 times
McCollum initially reported that the gun discharged twice, but this was not the case. The wife has been upgraded to "good" condition, so it appears, much to the Chief's dismay I imagine, that she will survive.

The wife was questioned and said she was sleeping but she 'thought it was an accident'. Thought it was? Wow. If my wife ever shoots me, I hope I can say unequivocally that it had to be an accident. No question in my mind at this point, this is an attempted murder. Whether or not they'll be able to charge him is another matter.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
McCollum initially reported that the gun discharged twice, but this was not the case. The wife has been upgraded to "good" condition, so it appears, much to the Chief's dismay I imagine, that she will survive.

The wife was questioned and said she was sleeping but she 'thought it was an accident'. Thought it was? Wow. If my wife ever shoots me, I hope I can say unequivocally that it had to be an accident. No question in my mind at this point, this is an attempted murder. Whether or not they'll be able to charge him is another matter.

If the wife thinks it was attempted murder...and goes back to live with him? Nah, I think she truly thinks it was an accident if she walks back into that household. If not...that's crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or