U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 AM

8,591 posts, read 6,109,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's exactly why I Googled the story after I read the post, and then provided a link to the same story in The Economist, which is not an anti-police magazine/website. All my quotes are from the story in the Economist, not the anti-cop website OP used. No, no firearm. Google the story, it was in every major news source.
Thanks. I was going to do so.

If I am starting a topic I would not be using an anti-police web site as the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:11 AM

32,525 posts, read 17,636,768 times
As a civilian with a concealed handgun license, I'm held to a very high standard in regards to applying deadly force.

That the police, in numerous cases nationwide, are able to repeatedly break into homes of innocent civilians to cause death and mayhem without good cause should set off alarms for the entire populace.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 AM

8,591 posts, read 6,109,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So sad. An apparent victim of an over-the-top trigger happy cop.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
Quote:
That must be some extremely rare reaction, cause I've been around it for 40 years and also worked in healtchare for 18 years, and have never heard of it before nor known anyone ever who went to an ER due to pot. Some people can die from strawberry allergies, should strawberries be illegal because one person out of 10,000 might have an unusual reaction? On the other hand, poll the ER and ask them how many kids they get every weekend with alcohol poisoning. Per the articles I looked up on the reaction your son had, it is found only in chronic long-term users. Drink alcohol chronically over a long period of time and your diseases will be much worse than your son's. The issue is moderation, laws shouldn't be made solely for the extreme users of any substance, even sugar.
I've had a patient who was admitted for smoking pot and had problems. It happens. Dunno if it was laced or not.

Far more people with alcohol issues, but most we test who are positive for cocaine, benzos, whatever, ALSO test positive for THC. Just as a datapoint.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 AM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Like I said, no-knock warrants suck and everyone hates them and most departments have stopped doing them for reasons like this story. Had the man shot and killed an officer with reasonable doubt he was an officer, he would have walked. Had it happen locally, I believe. No-knock, wrong house, officer shot by home owner, not the home owner's fault. Luckily all survived the incident.
What are you talking about? The cop shot the 80 year old man with a submachine gun, and he died.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? The cop shot the 80 year old man with a submachine gun, and he died.
I'm talking about how the man came to be shot. It was a no-knock raid based on poor intel/fact gathering. No-knocks are going WAY down in popularity for things just like this, partially.

Personally, I'd rather be shot with a submachinegun than the SBR'ed M4 style carbine that my friend carries when he busts meth labs, since it seems to matter what he was shot with.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about how the man came to be shot. It was a no-knock raid based on poor intel/fact gathering. No-knocks are going WAY down in popularity for things just like this, partially.

Personally, I'd rather be shot with a submachinegun than the SBR'ed M4 style carbine that my friend carries when he busts meth labs, since it seems to matter what he was shot with.
Well what did you mean by saying "luckily all survived the incident"

Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
That's exactly why I Googled the story after I read the post, and then provided a link to the same story in The Economist, which is not an anti-police magazine/website. All my quotes are from the story in the Economist, not the anti-cop website OP used. No, no firearm. Google the story, it was in every major news source.

Wrong.

Two firearms. Marijuana and growing equipment. Something most news stations found convenient to gloss over...this story is being slanted hard. Also interesting that this man respected LE so much...and still insisted on growing illegal drugs on his property (per his widow, who was 32 years younger than him...doesn't mean anything, but is interesting. He had drugs...I know women who are with men for drugs, just a thought...inconclusive).

The wife's story about his glasses being off doesn't do it for me. It's her words against the officers words, and the evidence on site.

I wasn't there, and I don't know, but I think it will be pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together after the scene of the shooting is recreated in court/analyzed, as to whether or not the deceased was wielding a pistol at the time of his being shot.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Well what did you mean by saying "luckily all survived the incident"
Our PD didn't lose an officer, and the home owner survived. Please re-read my post where I told of an incident similar to this in my town.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Wrong.

Two firearms. Marijuana and growing equipment. Something most news stations found convenient to gloss over...this story is being slanted hard.

The wife's story about his glasses being off doesn't do it for me. It's her words against the officers words, and the evidence on site.

I wasn't there, and I don't know, but I think it will be pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together after the scene of the shooting is recreated in court/analyzed, as to whether or not the deceased was wielding a pistol at the time of his being shot.
Marijuana because the grandson had a legal MM card. You might be okay with police with machine guns busting into homes and shooting innocent people over nothing, but I am not, so let's just agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or