Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 08:40 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
No, the 'n' word had been used as a pejorative before the 20th century, it just wasn't as common and also had non-racist connotations before then as well, particularly in literature. But you seem to forget that blacks were (at least overtly in those days ) considered inferior to whites, even by those that weren't considered racists. .....
I have a 1967 edition of The American College Dictionary. The N-word appears in that once very common dictionary. Definition is given as follows 1. A Negro, 2 Any member of a dark skinned race.

In regards to your second point, it only makes sense if you hold that belief. i.e. Blacks have words that are just as hateful towards Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e. Blacks have words that are just as hateful towards Whites.
Like what?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
I'm a pretty generous tipper, even to a fault, but based on this research and everyone's experience about black people tipping, I'm just going to stop tipping servers, valet people, my cleaning lady, etc, since it's apparently a 'black thing'.

It's really amazing how people continue to argue this ridiculous point. It's not just a word, it's a word that for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years was used as a racial slur. Those 'certain people' are the ones that used that word to disrespect and degrade blacks. WHY on earth would anyone want to use that word towards a black person? Er or a, it doesn't matter.

Can someone please tell me that? Anyone ??

So then why use the word AT ALL? Here's the thing about language-- it's not based off who gets to use it based on their skin color. I'd be just as happy if that word went away all together....but until it does, it's just another divide to say only some can use it.

I'm sorry, but blacks are not the only ethnic group in the history of mankind that has been given the total short end of the stick; but for some reason, seem the ones least likely to be able to overcome it, emotionally.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes. Woman friends who call each other b*tch in jest. Have some random man say it to them & watch the outcome. Maybe that's another experiment you could do?

That is completely not the same thing at all, as it's not even based in race. Can you think of an actual example in which one race can use a word but another can't? I'll wait.

Edit: somehow you managed to grasp that context matters in this latest post...that's progress I suppose.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
An interesting point about tipping. When I was in Germany and went to dinner with my bud I paid the bill and tried to leave a tip. My bud said that the writers are paid very well and that it was customary not to leave a tip. I wonder how the custom of tipping started in the US?
I am a good tipper however I refuse to tip the Starbucks cashier who gives me my coffee at the counter.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
From the news link: "We tried not to make a big deal of it." By running to the press to report it??

Seriously, why do people think they have to go to the local news station to report if someone calls themnames? The 18 year old Syrian waiter was fired on the spot. Wasn't that enough? Those insulted had just come from church. Jesus teaches to turn the other cheek.
"We tried not to make a big deal of it, does anyone have Big Al's (Sharpton) phone number?"

Now that we've put this restaurant on the news for the actions of ONE worker (who was fired) we'll now put them out of business with bad publicity destroying the livelihood of many for the actions of ONE ignorant fool.

Why does this stuff have to be blown up wayyy out of proportion? People say/write bad stuff to others constantly, it's not like it was the owner of the business but now he's got to suffer.

I know, let's fire all waitstaff and hire Ipads and robotics to interact with customers so there's no more risk of incidents such as this. Oh, and be sure to paint them with Zebra stripes so there is no black or white issues.

Yep, there's the answer!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I have a 1967 edition of The American College Dictionary. The N-word appears in that once very common dictionary. Definition is given as follows 1. A Negro, 2 Any member of a dark skinned race.

In regards to your second point, it only makes sense if you hold that belief. i.e. Blacks have words that are just as hateful towards Whites.
We'll agree to disagree, but I'm pretty sure I'm little more brushed up on my African American knowledge than you are.

Blacks...have words just as hateful to whites? That might be the funniest thing I've heard in 2015.

Yeah, I remember reading in my history books in school about how blacks made whites sit at separate counters, use separate facilities, made them sit in the back of the bus, turned water-hoses on them, lynched them for whistling at their black women, bombed their churches, harassed them when they were just trying to go school, etc., all while using a specific word to degrade and insult them, years after they enslaved them, unmercifully beat and whipped the men and raped the women.

Oh wait....

I'm sure some white people call other white friends cracker or redneck (you notice how I don't have to censor those words, right?), but I have no desire to use any of those terms towards white people. You get it now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
So then why use the word AT ALL? Here's the thing about language-- it's not based off who gets to use it based on their skin color. I'd be just as happy if that word went away all together....but until it does, it's just another divide to say only some can use it.

I'm sorry, but blacks are not the only ethnic group in the history of mankind that has been given the total short end of the stick; but for some reason, seem the ones least likely to be able to overcome it, emotionally.
This is getting old. NOT ALL AFRICAN AMERICANS USE IT. Just because some use it doesn't mean you should be able to use it, when historically it had a negative/evil meaning when white people used it.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this.......but I cannot control what other black people do. Stop holding ME responsible for stuff THEY do. If they use the 'n' word in public, if they don't tip the waiter, if they wear their pants below their hips, that's what THEY do, but it doesn't reflect ME or the millions of African Americans that don't practice these behaviors.

Like I said, feel free to use it if your obsession/desire to use it is that strong. Just be prepared to handle the potential consequences.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
That is completely not the same thing at all, as it's not even based in race. Can you think of an actual example in which one race can use a word but another can't? I'll wait.

Edit: somehow you managed to grasp that context matters in this latest post...that's progress I suppose.
It's the exact same thing, using gender instead of race.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Like what?
Certainly.

Start here. I like definition #3. Sums it up perfectly.

The site has a thesaurus so there is plenty there to educate yourself.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Blacks...have words just as hateful to whites? That might be the funniest thing I've heard in 2015.
See my previous post.

The rest of your post is a list sarcasm and fallacies so I won't address them. However I note, since we are talking about words, that you never provided your definition of racism. Would you please do so now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events