U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 AM

38,160 posts, read 15,318,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Source?
LOL.

If someone wrote "the word that's considered proper & acceptable when used in Rap Music" on your receipt, would you leave a tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,039,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Brilliant quote from Soletaire "if you want to get rich working at a restaurant, go get a real skill and become the Chef...that way you wont have to stress and bellyache about tips...you'll get paid what your skills demand...but realistically, the world doesnt owe you anything...you signed up for the job, either do it or leave and go find a better one...whining and playing the victim card about tips wont change the fact that no matter where you go, until you go get a real, valued (by employers) skill or credentials, youll always be at the mercy if customers hoping they are charitable enough to give you more money than they have to...might as well go stand out on the corner with a tin cup and a squeegy...go become an employee, not a charity case."

& Wow, you're seriously willing to assault someone over something as minuscule over a tip? Here's a tip, avoid being in public and seek mental help.
LOL! It's common sense.. I am a chef. I don't do it for a living though. If I did, the tip would be added on to the bill as I said.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,400,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL.

If someone wrote "the word that's considered proper & acceptable when used in Rap Music" on your receipt, would you leave a tip?
Majority of the blacks I know (I say blacks because I have black friends who aren't from African descent), do not listen to rap due to the content. So, the word is not considered proper nor acceptable as you put it to all black people. Just as is the case for these people who tried to enjoy a nice evening.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,526,998 times
I frequent this Hibachi restaurant by my house. If anyone has ever been to a hibachi restaurant you know that they sit you at a large table with other people while each table has a chef assigned to it and they cook your meals in front of you and put on a little show in the process. One time I'm seated next to a black couple. The guy was overly serious and demanding (not politely asking) extra sauce, water, napkins, etc. Everyone has their meal and they come around with the checks. I see angry man slip the cook $5 then looks over at me and tells me "I only tip the cook because he's the one doing all of the work". Mind you there's an entire wait staff working at each table. My response was "Well when you leave a tip on the bill, its split between the entire staff including the cook". This man flat out refused to leave a tip. When he got up to leave after paying I saw the staff looking at his check and whispering in their language. You can tell they were NOT happy.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 AM

38,160 posts, read 15,318,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Majority of the blacks I know (I say blacks because I have black friends who aren't from African descent), do not listen to rap due to the content. So, the word is not considered proper nor acceptable as you put it to all black people. Just as is the case for these people who tried to enjoy a nice evening.
I already addressed this above, but I will repeat it again for your benefit.

If the waiter did what is claimed, he was rude, and should be fired. I have no problem with that. It appears this is indeed what happened. He was fired, the owner apologized to the individuals, and though I don't know for sure, he most likely comped them the meal. Happens every day, there are bad employees everywhere. Case closed.

Except it isn't "cased closed". These individuals were not able to accept the apology and corrective action and instead decided to go to the ABC TV station affiliate in Dallas, Tx to plead a case of "racial discrimination". Once they parade themselves like that, especially when we are talking about nothing more than maybe some hurt feelings, they open themselves up to the same impossible standards they have set for everyone else.

What more do they want? If their crusade is against the N-word, then so be it, but they didn't do that.

Hopefully this clears it up for you.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,039,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If you really believe you would have done that, you need anger management stat! As for the waiter, the waiter knows he makes under minimum wage and that is HIS CHOICE. He should also know that not every table is going to give him a generous tip. It goes with the territory. If he cannot accept this, he needs to find a new line of work.
Oh yeah, there is that attitude as well. Let's see-- You are the waiter and it's not my fault that you are in this position but you have chosen it- so you know you don't make anything and if I don't leave a tip-- it's your own fault. So, eat this..

Listen, there has to be waiters for restaurants. It's not up to anyone to pre-determine anyones ability based on their job.

If I am the chef, I have general liability and I also have to keep my business going and that is to include waiters. My tip would be on the bottom of the bill, because for number one-- it would take to much time for the ten or fifteen bucks.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM

27,266 posts, read 15,048,153 times
Quote:
So in other words,
  • if a Black person says the word, there is no offense. It's "art".
  • if a White person says the word, it's automatically assumed to be a racial thing, even when the White says it was a joke.
The hypocrisy runs very deep here.

Now I agree with this part of your post completely.

Give us all a break from the false outrage. If members of the Black race don't want to keep hearing more of it, then they should stop walking around with huge asses on their shoulders.
Quote:
LOL.

I guess it's appropriate then - to refer to my customers as spics, dagos, dinks, gringos, polacks . . . and so on and so forth because they occasionally refer to each other in this manner?

Make good business sense to you, Mr. Trump?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,860,258 times
I am not defending the waiter and if this is true it is horrible. However, it could be more to it. I remember when I waitressed and I worked at a restaurant that mostly got African American customers. The older ones tended to be polite but yes the younger ones were usually rude. I was often called racist names and many would pick a fight with me. In one instance they left a dime tip to show me how wrong I was. My crime? their food was apparently not cooked to their specifications, I told them I would get them new plates or heat it up for them but nope. They started to berate me, to the point I had to get a manager. I told them I didn't cook the food but would replace it.

It got to the point at this restaurant if I got young African American customers I rarely expected to receive tips, would often receive harassment, and yes they were usually acting like thugs. I do not think most black people act like this, but the ones we were getting were like this. I ended up quitting one night after dealing with a long 8 hour shift of being busy and making $20 in tips (mostly from white and older black people).

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,907,406 times
Quote:
Yes it is. Got anything else to say about it?
When it comes to what black people think and feel, no it is not. You don't have incomplete information on this subject - you have no information whatsoever. That makes you unqualified to speak.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,400,838 times
Quote:
I already addressed this above, but I will repeat it again for your benefit.

If the waiter did what is claimed, he was rude, and should be fired. I have no problem with that. It appears this is indeed what happened. He was fired, the owner apologized to the individuals, and though I don't know for sure, he most likely comped them the meal. Happens every day, there are bad employees everywhere. Case closed.

Except it isn't "cased closed". These individuals were not able to accept the apology and corrective action and instead decided to go to the ABC TV station affiliate in Dallas, Tx to plead a case of "racial discrimination". Once they parade themselves like that, especially when we are talking about nothing more than maybe some hurt feelings, they open themselves up to the same impossible standards they have set for everyone else.

What more do they want? If their crusade is against the N-word, then so be it, but they didn't do that.

Hopefully this clears it up for you.
But where does this mean that they are OK with the usage of this word in rap music? I don't agree with them 'parading themselves around', as you put it, but this doesn't mean that they agree to the word being used in the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or