U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM

38,326 posts, read 15,359,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Notice how I didn't put any race on it. It can be whites against blacks, blacks against Asians, Asians against Hispanics, Hispanics against whites, etc. .
I did notice this. It was appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,875,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
But we learned in the George Zimmerman trial that Blacks see nothing wrong with calling Whites "Crackers". Over and over it was defended, even right here on CD. We were told it's not racist, don't act outraged, it's not actually an insult, etc. I tend to agree with that line of thinking, that's it's not a big deal, but still there is absolutely a "Black privilege" when it comes racist name calling.
Well, what that illustrates is hypocrisy on both sides of the question (but we knew that already).

DISCLAIMER: This is not what every African American thinks, however their line of thinking (assuming here) is the word "cracker" pales in comparison to the 'n' word as far as how offensive it is and historical context. I think someone even said that the word "cracker" really isn't even an insult towards whites, as it referred to slave owners. Therefore, if white people get upset at being called cracker, then imagine how blacks feel about being called the 'n' word. Really that word is a lame attempt at insulting whites, but probably falls flat on its face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I did notice this. It was appreciated.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:58 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,614,053 times
Quote:
How so?
By saying blacks are capable of having the same response as whites. Then you said you can't have it both ways. You just said that you could. Do you not remember your post?

Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,866,089 times
I attended high school with a majority of black students and many (though luckily not most)would often call white students honky. I don't like this anymore than they like the n word. They had many black clubs at school but not often a white or every race version. This wasn't fair and don't pull the they were discriminated against. Maybe in the south but in the Chicago area? not hardly. Racism is racism and it's never good.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 PM

38,326 posts, read 15,359,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
By saying blacks are capable of having the same response as whites. Then you said you can't have it both ways. You just said that you could. Do you not remember your post?
You are making absolutely no sense at all.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,614,053 times
Quote:
And neither are you so I guess we're done.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,408,460 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And neither are you so I guess we're done.
KABOOOM!!!!

Now that that's all done with. Let's get back on topic and that is this POS waiter writing this racial slur that is known to offend people on the receipt all because they asked for split checks. Whether he meant for this to be a racist remark or not, he was a problem waiter and it was only a matter of time before he was going to be fired anyways.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:29 PM

451 posts, read 357,211 times
1. The patrons should have let the waiter know they wanted separate checks from the start. (That would have made his job easier and the whole process more efficient). None of this would have happened.
2. The "N" word is wrong to use no matter what color you are.
3. After insulting the customers, the waiter shouldn't expect a tip.
4. As a former server, I know that good customer service will really help to bump your take-home pay, but you're not getting anywhere with language like that.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,866,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I attended high school with a majority of black students and many (though luckily not most)would often call white students honky. I don't like this anymore than they like the n word. They had many black clubs at school but not often a white or every race version. This wasn't fair and don't pull the they were discriminated against. Maybe in the south but in the Chicago area? not hardly. Racism is racism and it's never good.
Someone accused me of being a racist for this. Not sure why since I even stated racism is always wrong. I don't call names and I respect people of all races, in return I expect respect.

Btw, I didn't defend this waiter, I think writing this was horrific. I questioned whether he wrote it since there have been cases where someone claimed it and it turned out to be a fake. Since I see he did write it, there isn't an excuse.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,827,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Just because some use it doesn't mean you should be able to use it, when historically it had a negative/evil meaning when white people used it.
It is precisely because that word was & is used to degrade an entire race of people that nobody (black, white, black & white mixed, and otherwise) should use it.

But if some folks are going to use it, then everybody should be able to use it. And if it's going to be used, it should be received like all other words, i.e. its connotation should be determined by context and the speaker's tone of voice & body language, not by the speaker's race or ethnicity.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 01-08-2015 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: syntax error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or