U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,472,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
ATG5: It is highly offensive for a non-black person to use the N word, so why isn't it equally offensive for a black person to use it?

Does the word hurt black people, or doesn't it?
If not, then anyone can use it, no harm no foul.
If it does, then nobody should use it.

I don't want to use the N word, in fact, I don't want anyone to use that word. What I do want is to eliminate the double-standard that surrounds the usage of the N word. Double standards are what Dr. King, Medgar Evers, and other civil rights leaders fought to overcome.
Use the word to your hearts content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:04 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,929,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I have yet to meet a White, Asian, or whatever that "wants" to use the N-word presumably because they can't. That is silly. If they want to use it, they will use it.

The issue, which obviously you are trying to distract from, is the dichotomy of a minority wanting to use a word as part of their culture while at the same time getting hugely offended if anyone else does. In this case it's members of the African American subculture & the N-word, vs Western Civilization at large.
Quote:
ATG5: It is highly offensive for a non-black person to use the N word, so why isn't it equally offensive for a black person to use it?

Does the word hurt black people, or doesn't it?
If not, then anyone can use it, no harm no foul.
If it does, then nobody should use it.

I don't want to use the N word, in fact, I don't want anyone to use that word. What I do want is to eliminate the double-standard that surrounds the usage of the N word. Double standards are what Dr. King, Medgar Evers, and other civil rights leaders fought to overcome.
I've already answered these questions in full detail (really ad nauseam), so I'm not going to rehash it.

Use whatever word you want to, to whoever you want to. No one here is responsible for what may happen to you.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,877,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I've already answered these questions in full detail (really ad nauseam), so I'm not going to rehash it.

Use whatever word you want to, to whoever you want to. No one here is responsible for what may happen to you.
You haven't answered any of the questions I've asked - if you had, there'd have been no need for me to ask them.

Also, you seem to have no problem with the double standard I mentioned previously. Do you support or oppose the double-standard surrounding usage of the N word?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:59 PM

21,848 posts, read 26,540,188 times
Quote:
It is precisely because that word was & is used to degrade an entire race of people that nobody (black, white, black & white mixed, and otherwise) should use it.

But if some folks are going to use it, then everybody should be able to use it. And if it's going to be used, it should be received like all other words, i.e. its connotation should be determined by context and the speaker's tone of voice & body language, not by the speaker's race or ethnicity.
"Used rightly or wrongly, ironically or seriously, of necessity for the sake of realism, or impishly for the sake of comedy, it doesn't matter. Negroes do not like it in any book or play whatsoever, be the book or play ever so sympathetic in its treatment of the basic problems of the race. Even though the book or play is written by a Negro, they still do not like it. The word ******, you see, sums up for us who are colored all the bitter years of insult and struggle in America."

---- Langston Hughes (1902-1967)

It is time the word was dropped from everyone's vocabulary.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 AM

39,478 posts, read 15,850,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I've already answered these questions in full detail (really ad nauseam), so I'm not going to rehash it..
You can't "rehash" something when you never hashed it in the first place. You are simply avoiding the point.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You consider dichotomy a "big word"? Did you check out ATG5's post? Oh I forgot, being literate isn't apart of your people's culture...
Derision is simply a fallacy to avoid actually addressing the point made. As to your second question I did. It's been dispatched as well.

The fact of the matter is you guys refuse to acknowledge the hyprocracy of a minority that holds one low standard for itself yet constantly demands a far far higher one for everyone else. The only thing that is accomplished by such hypocrisy is that "everyone else" has stopped listening.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,804,917 times
So basically the gist of what everyone is saying here, black customers are the worst and don't tip and therefore deserved to be called a n***er by a person that is supposed to be serving them. Even if it were true that blacks don't tip, they are still spending their money to eat at restaurants just like anyone else. So "all blacks" listen to hip hop and therefore deserve to be called n***ers when going out to eat if they don't tip well. Right.

I am black and I work in the hospitality industry and there is no one more rude, entitled and hostile than white people who have money. Despite being friendly to them and trying to provide them good service, many of them still look down on those serving them simply because of the jobs that they do, and they don't always tip well either.

One white person threw his room keys at my co-worker (who happens to black) because he was upset that his room keys demagnetized. Would she have been justified in writing "h**key" or "cr**ker" on his bill? A Mexican female guest also cursed me out and threw her room keys at me for the same reason, even though I wasn't the person who made her keys in the first place. Would that give me the right to write "wet back" on her bill? We have no control over whether or not room keys demagnetize.

I have had many white guests become hostile toward me and throw things and curse me out over things that I have no control over after I have bent over backwards to provide them good service. In fact, white women come into our establishment and act up so bad that we have to have security throw them out. A white woman called another black person working here a n****ger because she was upset that the black person working here would not go against our security policy to let her use a credit card without ID. But wait, my black co-worker deserved that because black people call each other that anyway.

I had a white woman over the phone call me a dumb n***er because she had an issue for which my department was not at all able to help her with, despite me politely explaining it to her and trying to point her in the right direction. But even though I don't throw that word around and absolutely can't stand hip hop music, I deserved that, right?

As Relevated so eloquently pointed out, the income disparities between blacks and whites is not taken to account as to why blacks may not tip is much. It is a fact that blacks more often than not get paid less money than whites for the same jobs, black women even moreso. Blacks simply have fewer assets and less disposable income than whites.

But all of this aside, let's take race out of the conversation for a second. Women regardless of race call each other or themselves b**ches all the time. So if a white woman who referred to herself or other women as b**ches and didn't leave a tip, would the waiter be justified in writing "B**CH!" on her final bill?

I have experienced my fair share of racism from white people, both as an employee and as a patron, or even walking down the street. I have even experienced racism from Mexicans and Indians, yet I still have lof white, Indian and Latino friends, and have dated within these ethnic groups. Despite the racism I have experienced, I don't go about throwing racial epithets at white people or anyone else.

There's just no justification for what this waiter did it all and I find it laughable it how people on here like to say black people deserve the racism we get.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 01-09-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

There's just no justification for what this waiter did it all and I find it laughable it how people on here like to say black people deserve the racism we get.
You are correct about the waiter. He was fired for his deed. Restaurant owner publicly apologized. Case closed.

Everything else is about the "hurt" feelings of the customers who didn't accept the apology, didn't accept that the waiter was fired, and instead went on TV to complain about how racism "ruined" their New Years Eve celebrations.

Nobody is entitled to special favors because they like to drop the racism word at every turn. When they tried that ploy is when they opened themselves up to the derision they have received.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 AM

6,742 posts, read 3,929,990 times
Quote:
You haven't answered any of the questions I've asked - if you had, there'd have been no need for me to ask them.

Also, you seem to have no problem with the double standard I mentioned previously. Do you support or oppose the double-standard surrounding usage of the N word?
Quote:
You can't "rehash" something when you never hashed it in the first place. You are simply avoiding the point.
I've made 19 posts in this thread not including this one, feel free to find my answers in those posts.

I ALREADY SAID I don't support it, but I can't CONTROL what other AA's do. Regardless, even if only one AA used it, it doesn't mean white people should use it when HISTORICALLY it was used to degrade and defile blacks for hundreds of years. No one has said you CAN'T use the word, they're saying you SHOULDN'T use it. Suddenly changing your perception/definition of the word won't erase the racism against blacks since they came to this country and even today. If you can't understand that, then that's your problem and your grave you're digging. Like I said in one of my first posts that you just chose to ignore because the truth hurts, even if blacks didn't use the word AT ALL, non-blacks would STILL use it. I've been called the n word more times than I can remember by non-blacks, mostly whites, and not one of those times was the word being used as a term of endearment.

Done.

Last edited by ATG5; 01-09-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,804,917 times
Quote:
You are correct about the waiter. He was fired for his deed. Restaurant owner publicly apologized. Case closed.

Everything else is about the "hurt" feelings of the customers who didn't accept the apology, didn't accept that the waiter was fired, and instead went on TV to complain about how racism "ruined" their New Years Eve celebrations.

Nobody is entitled to special favors because they like to drop the racism word at every turn. When they tried that ploy is when they opened themselves up to the derision they have received.
Again, are you saying this because black people use the word? How do you know the black patron in question uses the word? Because other blacks use the word the waiter had the right to use it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or