Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:39 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you are asking.....

The report comes from WFAA, a TV station. This is News Channel 8, the ABC affiliate in Dallas, one of the top markets in the USA. If there was a real story here, you can bet the likes of NBC, ABC, CNN and MSNBC would be running a story every 10 minutes.

Since the waiter doesn't fit the mime of racist White American, they are not interested in it. They can't drum up more false outrage over it, and it exposes how the rest of the world really views the African American sub-culture. They won't go there because that contradicts their false mime of Blond Haired Blue Eyed Demon racists.
Lol...i was just thinking the same thing...if this was a white boy who wrote this msnbc, cnn, and nbc would have breaking news reports about it...plus, its in Texas too?!...pssshh..this would turn into a 3 week news event, followed by round tables about "how to begin the healing process", "where to go from here as a nation," and how this incident just shows us that "theres still work to be done" yada yada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm picturing myself being a food server back in the day and getting asked for SIX separate checks when I could be making money instead by serving people who tip- on NEW YEAR'S! WHAT A PITA!!

Why can't people just figure out bills themselves and how to pay for them?! Or ask for separate checks PRIOR to ordering.

OF COURSE this was uncivilized BUT.....

Black people are notoriously bad tippers. It's extremely frustrating as a server who is only making $2.35 per hour. Asking for a check to be split into 6 is not a good sign for your tip as i know from experience. I would never have done such a thing but I understand needing to get that anger out!!

He should have been cordial until the very end and then have confronted them if/when they left a subpar tip (if any tip at all.) And no need to confront w hate speech, just the facts.

Also, i dont understand the colossal victims' mentality people have about black people not tipping...(not to mention: there are plenty of whites and other non blacks who didnt tip when i worked in the service industry). If you dont like not getting a tip for bringing someone's food to them, then dont do it. Simple as that..Thats the beauty of free market capitalism at work. Go find a job that values your ability to walk in a straight line while holding food on a tray enough to consistently pay you what you think is a fair wage from the outset, instead of hoping customers are charitable enough to donate more money to you than the bill indicates. If that doesnt suit your fancy, then maybe go get a real skill, and a few certificates/degrees behind your name and then maybe you wont have to cry over "tips". And if you're a kid working at Denny's to make some extra money, i have news for you: youre A KID...i know soulja boy and justin beiber and whichever other pimply faced adolescent millionaire has you believing otherwise, but youre not SUPPOSED to get rich (working at Denny's) as a teenager..

if you want to get rich working at a restaurant, go get a real skill and become the Chef...that way you wont have to stress and bellyache about tips...you'll get paid what your skills demand...but realistically, the world doesnt owe you anything...you signed up for the job, either do it or leave and go find a better one...whining and playing the victim card about tips wont change the fact that no matter where you go, until you go get a real, valued (by employers) skill or credentials, youll always be at the mercy if customers hoping they are charitable enough to give you more money than they have to...might as well go stand out on the corner with a tin cup and a squeegy...go become an employee, not a charity case.

Last edited by soletaire; 01-04-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM

471 posts, read 620,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For those who don't want to read the article, yes, the waiter pretty much admitted he did it.

World's Worst Waiter Writes N-Word on Check; Does Not Apologize - Eater
When a non dark skinned person says:

****** =>Slave

When a dark skinned person says:

****** => pal

****** really means Negro which is black in Spanish. The Spanish brought slaves from Africa and they were called negros in Florida because all slaves were Negros (Black)

Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
What a fascinating dynamic to see a bunch of posters defending a waiter's actions to degrade his Black customers; a waiter named Ragheed who under any other circumstances would be accused, by the same posters defending his use of the N-word, of probably being an Islamo fascist sympathiser who needs to be kicked out of the country.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I don't see where I said what he said or wrote was right or okay or a good idea or conducive to continued employment or justified or...do you?

That being said, 1 week as a waiter is plenty of experience to notice a trend. Btdt. You?
Haha been there done that? Absolutely. In fact, I started a thread on Side Gigs and listed all of the side gigs I have done here in NYC - the "melting pot" full of many cultures and races so funny you should ask. As a cater waiter, cocktail waitress, bottle server, coat check attendant, and much more that I won't bore you with, I have encountered many different people from all walks of life. My conclusion: there is NO 1 race that does or doesn't tip. It will depend on several factors (but race is never one of them).

So yes, been there done that in the most populous city in the United States.

Also, I never said you said he was right for putting it on the receipt, but Dpolo suggested that maybe it's how he could remember who to give it to and coming from someone who has worked many serving jobs I can attest that it is incorrect because the Table # will be available on the receipt so servers know who to give it to. Proving my point that they are incorrect in saying that maybe it's how he knew who to give it to. Nope. That is not the way.

Last edited by harrisce4; 01-04-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 10:09 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What a fascinating dynamic to see a bunch of posters defending a waiter's actions .......
I don't see any defense of the waiter. If he was rude to customers he should be fired. He was fired, owner apologized. This sort of thing happens every day in America. End of story.

But it isn't the end of story because a bunch of African Americans, yet again, are pulling out the R-word because in his rudeness the waiter used the N-word. A word, BTW which many Blacks use everyday for entertainment and to make money. In other words they are seeking special accommodation for their hurt "emotions" only because they are Black.

And this topic was created to make this very point.

This is the hypocrisy that people are complaining about.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't see any defense of the waiter. If he was rude to customers he should be fired. He was fired, owner apologized. This sort of thing happens every day in America. End of story.

But it isn't the end of story because a bunch of African Americans, yet again, are pulling out the R-word because in his rudeness the waiter used the N-word. A word, BTW which many Blacks use everyday for entertainment and to make money. In other words they are seeking special accommodation for their hurt "emotions" only because they are Black.

And this topic was created to make this very point.

This is the hypocrisy that people are complaining about.
You seem upset, maybe you should step outside.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Many Arabs tend to be racist so this comes as no surprise. Perhaps this waiter needs to be forced by a judge to attend classes on racial equality.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Haha been there done that? Absolutely. In fact, I started a thread on Side Gigs and listed all of the side gigs I have done here in NYC - the "melting pot" full of many cultures and races so funny you should ask. As a cater waiter, cocktail waitress, bottle server, coat check attendant, and much more that I won't bore you with, I have encountered many different people from all walks of life. My conclusion: there is NO 1 race that does or doesn't tip. It will depend on several factors (but race is never one of them).

So yes, been there done that in the most populous city in the United States.

Also, I never said you said he was right for putting it on the receipt, but Dpolo suggested that maybe it's how he could remember who to give it to and coming from someone who has worked many serving jobs I can attest that it is incorrect because the Table # will be available on the receipt so servers know who to give it to. Proving my point that they are incorrect in saying that maybe it's how he knew who to give it to. Nope. That is not the way.
No, I HIGHLY doubt it was used to denote the table.

Also, your experience is far from mine. We even had Blacks when seated say things like "Look, I know how to tip." before ever placing their order. THAT'S how bad it is in many places. NYC may well be different. In fact, most "melting pot" cities I go to are. I'm moving to one for that reason. From what I have seen, you can truly be "color blind" in a true melting pot city, and not come out bad for it. I like that.

Anyway, if you want to know more about what typically happens, go to YouTube and search "Blacks don't tip". For the results I got, hats off to the many Blacks who are upset by this situation and want to encourage it to be fixed. I am trying the same thing in healthcare with deliveries. Healthcare workers make horribly ****ty restaurant guests and tippers, also, for whatever reason. I noticed that, as well. YOU DO NOT WANT! a table full of nurses. Tips will suck, food requests will be stupid, attitudes of "superiority" will abound. Pretty disgusting. Part of why I won't eat with most co-workers. I want my food. AND JUST! my food. On that plate, lol!

Here is one of the first videos I found that explains this exactly:
(I'd rate this video clip PG13 for brief adult language---I am not accredited to rate videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGERiV2z7d4

Old 01-04-2015, 10:21 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Many Arabs tend to be racist so this comes as no surprise. Perhaps this waiter needs to be forced by a judge to attend classes on racial equality.
Why? He got fired. This problem will be self-limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events