Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 01:42 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,625,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And here is some news for you too. I never said they were.

Now that that was said, it makes the rest of your post moot.
You wish.

I ask again, why do you have such a problem with the fact that black people use that word but white people can't without being thought of as racist? Most white people probably don't give a toss that black people are using it. I know I don't.

You keep linking it, and hiding it behind a short URL isn't fooling anyone. Why are you chomping at the bit to use a racial slur without having to face people getting upset? What is it about that particular word that's so appealing to you personally that you just have to make it OK for white people to use it too?

I have never used that word. I never want to use it. I never will use it. Ever. I really can't imagine why any white person who wasn't a racist would use it when so many other adequate English cuss words and insults exit. So please shed some light on the subject, since white people not being able to use that word is such a big deal to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,890,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I've given 100%, even 200% tips on occasions where the service was above and beyond the call of duty. Usually only happens at like Olive Garden or something.

If I eat out at Christmas they're getting a larger tip.
If they're cute they're getting a larger tip.
If they flirt they're getting a larger tip.
Yeah, all that. Me too. But 25-30% is enough, unless it's on a $2 cup of coffee. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to "buy" them.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,537,899 times
My sister has worked in the restaurant business for 10yrs. She is currently working at a high end restaurant in NYC and she tells me the stories about dealing with black patrons. While not every single black customer is a bad experience, for the most part they aren't pleasant to deal with. Bad tippers ( if they tip at all), rude, demanding, etc. The best part she says is when the check comes. It takes them about 20 minutes to calculate who ate what and who owes what. Then they all want to pay separately.

She's told me stories of how they come in and ask for the price of drinks before they even order them. Mind you, this is a high end restaurant. If you have to ask for the prices of a cocktail then maybe you cant afford to be there. One party was celebrating a bday and brought their own cake. That's fine, but the restaurant has a policy where if you bring your own cake, there is a $5 service charge per person. Of course they made a big fuss about it and cried racism. Another time a guy walks in with his date and orders a bottle of champagne. Half way through the bottle he attempts to hide the bottle under his jacket along with both glasses and walk out. The staff stops them and tells the man that they cant leave with the bottle and have to either finish their drinks inside or leave it behind along with the glasses he attempted to steal. Again cries of racism ensued.

She tell me that when black patrons walk in it is usually the newer staff with no seniority who take their tables as nobody wants to wait on them only to more than likely get stiffed on a tip.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,493,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I ask again, why do you have such a problem with the fact that black people use that word but white people can't without being thought of as racist? ..... So please shed some light on the subject, since white people not being able to use that word is such a big deal to you.
Who said that Whites don't use this word? Not me. As far as Blacks thinking someone is racist, who cares what they think? They use the R-word now as freely as breathing air. Stub their toe, sidewalk is racist. LOL This is the fundamental mistake you make.

I don't have a problem with the usage of this Black term of endearment. As long as African Americans are using it, I'm fine with everyone else using it. We all know what it means. Equal opportunity, son.

Now when the day comes when they ban it amongst themselves, then I might change my stance on this. Until that day, I don't believe in giving special favors to one group because of their skin color. You might want to consider this too.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,008,305 times
Quote:
Likewise, personal anecdotal posts can't be verified or proven so they are even less relevant to the discussion.
Personal experiences are fully relevant because they are in direct contrast to your blanket statement.

Now, if you want to say,

Quote:
In my personal experience, I have found that Blacks do not tip
Then that's a personal experience that can't be rebutted, and it's likely valid information. That's not what was said.

Instead, what was said is akin to saying that Whites don't go anywhere without a white hood stuffed behind the seat of their pickup truck. Blanket statement, no basis in fact. Let's avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Yeah, all that. Me too. But 25-30% is enough, unless it's on a $2 cup of coffee. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to "buy" them.
For back in my younger years, yeah. I was trying to buy them in a way, because I reduced their value in my eyes to a dollar amount. Like making it rain in the clubs, though I never did that, the ridiculous tipping was my way of doing so.

As far as 100%/200%, I don't think so. If the meal was $50 and it's Christmas and this gal is working her tail off on a holiday when she should be home, I see absolutely no problem with making the work worth it, and even if she's already getting holiday pay, her base pay is horrible. Considering all of the bad attitudes I encounter at stores and other places, it's gotten to the point, to slightly modify an old saying, that I have to struggle to look for good people, so when I find them, I reward them.

In any event, with as many women as I've met over the years that simply refused to work and would rather self-pimp themselves to rich men, I applaud hard working women.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,493,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
...Then that's a personal experience that can't be rebutted, and it's likely valid information. That's not what was said..
Indeed. That is why I added "personal experience" to what I said. It's clear that I am not presenting it as something definitive. That's quite different over what you were trying do. It's called context.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Are you insinuating that Blacks are uncivilized & the entire Black race are bad tippers solely based off of your experience driving a cab?

Wow...
Being an ex-bartender and even a bar/restaurant owner, if you were solely going on percentages, then as a percentage, blacks would be worse tippers. That is from YEARS of experience. I am not sure why. Even Tiger Woods has a horrible reputation. On the other hand, one can't just judge in some big category like that because a new customer should always be given the benefit regardless of anything.

Of course to be honest, I think the words. black and African American shouldn't be used. People dropped all that crap years ago with Celtic American etc. No one says that anymore. Just say, American.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Being an ex-bartender and even a bar/restaurant owner, if you were solely going on percentages, then as a percentage, blacks would be worse tippers. That is from YEARS of experience. I am not sure why. Even Tiger Woods has a horrible reputation. On the other hand, one can't just judge in some big category like that because a new customer should always be given the benefit regardless of anything.

Of course to be honest, I think the words. black and African American shouldn't be used. People dropped all that crap years ago with Celtic American etc. No one says that anymore. Just say, American.
I remember not too long ago there was a civil rights activist that wanted a law excluding police depts from mentioning if a suspect they were looking for was black and instead just describe what he/she was wearing. As if mentioning if the suspect is white or black doesn't help narrow down who their looking for!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 AM

It wouldn't be a stereotype if there wasn't some truth to it.

-Asians are bad drivers

-Jews are cheap

-Blacks are bad tippers

Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I remember not too long ago there was a civil rights activist that wanted a law excluding police depts from mentioning if a suspect they were looking for was black and instead just describe what he/she was wearing. As if mentioning if the suspect is white or black doesn't help narrow down who their looking for!
Don't twist things for your agenda. Describing a suspect to police is NOT the same as daily life. If you say someone with a mustache or black or male or female or whatever, that is a description. I am talking about the use of it as if a black american is somehow different to an american. Being an international family, we just don't acknowledge these silly subgroups, unless in a response like this thread, but really the difference in race is kind of silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events