Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 08:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times

Advertisements

The argument that nobody could or would recognize the patient is absurd. it is still him and his family and pet sitter and probably others recognized him too. I can only imagine the pain of this family to have to relive this all over again. To use somebody's death and the family's pain as a way to "sell" a hospital (and the products sponsoring the program) is so wrong on so many levels.

What do you think? How would you feel if this happened to you?

‘I Saw My Husband Die’: TV Show Broadcast Patient’s Death Without Permission | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,269,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The argument that nobody could or would recognize the patient is absurd. it is still him and his family and pet sitter and probably others recognized him too. I can only imagine the pain of this family to have to relive this all over again. To use somebody's death and the family's pain as a way to "sell" a hospital (and the products sponsoring the program) is so wrong on so many levels.

What do you think? How would you feel if this happened to you?

‘I Saw My Husband Die’: TV Show Broadcast Patient’s Death Without Permission | Alternet
This doesn't surprise me at all, considering the 'ratings are everything' mantra of today's media. I wonder what would have happened if they had asked for the family's permission to air it, and the family had refused. My guess is they would have aired it anyway.
For me personally, I know I would not want my late wife's last moments on this earth to be broadcast for public consumption... blurred images or not.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:36 PM

997 posts, read 1,055,900 times
How despicable. Personally, I will never understand the appeal of reality tv but apparently, I am in the minority.

My mother was treated and died at NY Presbyterian -- I would have been livid if they filmed her treatment without my knowledge.

I do hope this woman's appeal goes through.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:17 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,051,447 times
Even filming a patient's treatment without consent is a violation of federal HIPAA laws. Let alone releasing it.

We will be hearing about the fines in a year or two. Asshats.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Even filming a patient's treatment without consent is a violation of federal HIPAA laws. Let alone releasing it.

We will be hearing about the fines in a year or two. Asshats.
But they are claiming since it is a part of the News Division and only because they brought attention to his identity by filing the lawsuit that it doesn't matter. I simply do not understand how they can get away with this.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But they are claiming since it is a part of the News Division and only because they brought attention to his identity by filing the lawsuit that it doesn't matter. I simply do not understand how they can get away with this.
That's at the stated level. The Feds will have something entirely different to say.

The filming itself didn't even fall understand HIPAA exemptions which are 1. Treatment 2. Payment ( patients insurance ) or operations ( security cams and such )

I'll be shocked if they don't get a 50k fine per incidence of this.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's at the stated level. The Feds will have something entirely different to say.

The filming itself didn't even fall understand HIPAA exemptions which are 1. Treatment 2. Payment ( patients insurance ) or operations ( security cams and such )

I'll be shocked if they don't get a 50k fine per incidence of this.
*state* level.

Gotta love autocorrect.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,724,063 times
TV has never been great, but these new reality shows are the suckiest, lowclass level creation any show producer has ever come up with. I can not see the attraction in watching stupid people doing stupid (drama laden) things for an hour. They also insult our intelligence by telling us these shows are reality and spontaneous, when we can clearly see they are scripted and the things that happen are put in there for the drama they create.

Every week they crank out a brand new reality show on subjects ranging from naked people roaming around in the jungle, to housewives that I could care less about. Thank God for the internet !

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events