U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 PM

21,618 posts, read 26,307,193 times

Advertisements

Perhaps there is family money, but the furniture store is not making anyone rich:

Gutzler's Furniture Store in Nashville IL 62263-1040

Estimated sales volume of $910,000 with about 11 employees.

It appears furniture stores do not generate a lot of income, though this article is undated:

The Average Profit Margin in Furniture | Business & Entrepreneurship - azcentral.com

They may not pay rent, since they have been in business so long, possibly owning the building outright. Still, the owners probably have modest incomes, and it looks like Sailor's dad supplemented by giving flight lessons.

OP's assumptions are way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 PM

73,176 posts, read 64,726,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It looks like everybody feels sympathetic to the wealthy. Think about how many Mexican children (7 years old) die just trying to get across the border. Do we ever report on them when every case happens? When was the last time you ever heard of a wealthy person on death row? Apparently, the jury only sentences the poor to death. CEO of a company in Texas murders his wife in the most brutal way with beatings and stabbings, 25 years in prison. A trailer park man kills his girlfriend with a pill, death. This country has never felt any sympathy for the poor, and I'm tired of it. I'm not going to sit down and feel one shred of sympathy for the extremely wealthy. I will only feel sympathy for the less fortunate because they deserve it.
How do you figure this is about feeling sympathy for the wealthy? The child's family is dead. She's no longer wealthy. To the contrary, a charity fund has been set up on her behalf. You seem like a very confused person.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
When I was 16, one of my friends got a brand new Mustang gt for their first car. I got a cobbled togather decade old police car. I never had much growing up. Low income parents plus a divorce and all that. Always wore my shoes ragged until they got replaced, family vacations were trips to visit family, movie theater visits and the like we're rare as money allowed. Sent off at age 13 to live with my grandparents.

So ya see, that kid getting a brand new Mustang gt just wasn't fair. We both got good grades and neither of us caused problems with the law. I deserved it just as much as he did. But I didn't have it. It wasn't fair and it was wrong that he should have and I should not.
I can't imagine complaining about being given a car in highschool. The vast majority of kids in my school didn't get anything, whether new or used. Most of us didn't expect anything. How sad for your parents that you didn't appreciate their great gift, that they sacrificed to give you. There's really something wrong with the world when a teen is given a car, but all he sees is how it's not as shiny and new as the next kid's free car.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,630,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't imagine complaining about being given a car in highschool. The vast majority of kids in my school didn't get anything, whether new or used. Most of us didn't expect anything. How sad for your parents that you didn't appreciate their great gift, that they sacrificed to give you. There's really something wrong with the world when a teen is given a car, but all he sees is how it's not as shiny and new as the next kid's free car.
Given? I guess. I helped build it in the drive-way from spare parts, though. Also, I did enjoy it and was grateful.

However, like most 16 year olds, when you see a kid who got a new sports car who didn't have to crawl around under it replacing the engine and transmission before he could drive it...ya get kindof jealous.

Is it right? No.

Is it proper? No.

But I learned from it, and it inspired me to provide for myself what I wanted for myself. If you're not content with what your parents do for you---that's not WRONG. It's good. It inspires you to do better.

But nowhere did I say I did not love them for it, and thank them, and appreciate what they DID do for me.

I think my Dad's proudest moment in relation to me in a while was when he went to the dealership to see my Z06 before I took delivery. They had it roped off on the showroom floor as "Sold". I told my sales guy he would be by, and they let him sit in it, etc. Some guy came up and snapped pictures of it and asked my Dad if he minded. My Dad said "No, click away, I'm just looking at it. It's for my son." The man asked "How much was it?" My Dad replied "I wouldn't know. He didn't tell me."

I think raising a child who is capable of hard work, and goals, and achieving them was partly a product of me being discontent with the status quo...and my parents WANTED ME discontent. They wanted me to have a better life than them.

Am I ungrateful? About some things (my parent's divorce, and the things surrounding it), yes, but not about my first car, and the lessons it taught me, or the love and sacrifice it represented, or even the quality time spent under it with my Dad and Grandpa turning wrenches. That is what I liked most about that car. Hands. Down.

Anyway, lest you think I am ungrateful, I try hard remember who did nice things and sacrificed for me. This rifle cost more than my first car, and it came turn-key. My Dad had a great Christmas last year (this year it's an optic mount), and I am thankful for the ability to do things like this for the man that helped inspire me and enable me to build a good life for myself, to do the right things, and to instill in me the values that I have.

Last edited by JWG223; 01-06-2015 at 01:58 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Given? I guess. I helped build it in the drive-way from spare parts, though. Also, I did enjoy it and was grateful.

However, like most 16 year olds, when you see a kid who got a new sports car who didn't have to crawl around under it replacing the engine and transmission before he could drive it...ya get kindof jealous.
But you must have learned a lot about repairing cars, whereas the kid who was handed a brand new one didn't learn anything. You were the one who came away from the experience better prepared for life. Congratulations on your attainments!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:03 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,630,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you must have learned a lot about repairing cars, whereas the kid who was handed a brand new one didn't learn anything. You were the one who came away from the experience better prepared for life. Congratulations on your attainments!
Yes I certainly have. I also got to bond with my Dad and Grandpa building that car, and like I said, it was annoying and made me pouty then, but now, I look back on it and wish I could build another "cheap car" with them. Any day. Funny how getting a little older changes things, isn't it? If only we could live life in reverse...

Thank-you for the congratulations, but I certainly am not "super accomplished" or anything. Nor am I implying otherwise. HOWEVER, compared to where I came from, I am doing very well, and part of that---a LARGE part---is because of how my father guided me to succeed in life. To pay my bills, to remember where I came from, to do the right thing. All without exactly telling me to.

I will say though, I kept in touch with Leroy (Mustang GT guy, we are friends on Facebook and keep in touch.). He's upstanding, has as good or better career than myself, good guy. Just as successful as me, if not more, and plenty able to deal with life, as well. His parents raised him right, too. They just had more money to do it, and bought him nicer things than mine bought me. It's an interesting datapoint as we both work in healthcare, etc. and both, I would say, ended up in a similar place. He just had more money getting there. His parents were both college graduates, mind got highschool diploma's and/or GED's. Hands down, his growing up was "better" than mine. But we both ended up in the same place roughly. So...don't hate on the "guy with money". He can turn out just as "savvy" as you, he just got there a lot nicer, had more fun, and worried less possibly. Also, don't discount the guy coming from more humble places, because he can learn!

America. It's a great country, and NOONE is "keeping anyone down" and no circumstance will prevent success, if you actually TRY!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,146,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't think it's thought-provoking at all. If the OP is genuine in his statements, he is obviously a bitter, jealous, poor man.

My guess is that you are correct. He doesn't work at Starbucks. I would wager that he doesn't work at all, and feeds off of his parents or other relatives, all the while lamenting that the world is so "unfair" to him.
Think he/she may be in prison; or a prison of his/her making. Could be lots of things; my guess incarceration. Bitter, sad, no empathy for anyone. Hope I am wrong and don't mean to offend (even though the op has offended so many.)

Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 AM

12,642 posts, read 14,682,899 times
Quote:

I think my Dad's proudest moment in relation to me in a while was when he went to the dealership to see my Z06 before I took delivery. They had it roped off on the showroom floor as "Sold". I told my sales guy he would be by, and they let him sit in it, etc. Some guy came up and snapped pictures of it and asked my Dad if he minded. My Dad said "No, click away, I'm just looking at it. It's for my son." The man asked "How much was it?" My Dad replied "I wouldn't know. He didn't tell me."

Anyway, lest you think I am ungrateful, I try hard remember who did nice things and sacrificed for me. This rifle cost more than my first car, and it came turn-key. My Dad had a great Christmas last year (this year it's an optic mount), and I am thankful for the ability to do things like this for the man that helped inspire me and enable me to build a good life for myself, to do the right things, and to instill in me the values that I have.
You are kind of making this thread about YOU and it's not about you. You have a warped sense of what matters - what your dad was able give to you and what you are able to give to him. You place too much emphasis on THAT when the only thing that really matters is the love you have for each other, not that he sacrificed to give you things and that you grew up and gave him a great Christmas gift in return. Geez. Just warped thinking if you ask me. Did your parents teach you not to covet?

Kids who were given a brand new Mustang at 16 may or may not also understand that LOVE is what matters, not material things, not a Mustang, not the lack of a Mustang. You can have money and still be down to earth. You can have money and still build a good life for yourself and do the right things and have values. There are people who have it better than you. There are also people who have it worse than you. You play the hand you are dealt. And you don't get jealous of people who were dealt a better hand.

And back on topic - the little girl is SEVEN YEARS OLD. It's ridiculous for you or anyone to assume or insinuate that she was a spoiled brat whose life will always be cushy and extrapolate from there that she deserves no sympathy for losing her parents and sibling in the plane crash.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,650,163 times
I have not read through all 10 pages of this thread so I'm not sure if this has been posted. There is a donation drive setting up a fund for Sailor's future.

https://www.sailorgutzlerfund.com/

Op, You are what's wrong with this country. TOS are preventing me from saying more.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM

703 posts, read 659,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I have not read through all 10 pages of this thread so I'm not sure if this has been posted. There is a donation drive setting up a fund for Sailor's future.

https://www.sailorgutzlerfund.com/

Op, You are what's wrong with this country. TOS are preventing me from saying more.
Oh, giving the rich even more money? Heck, they just get wealthier, and all of the publicity!? Wow, she's turning into a celebrity. I bet a poor girl who survived a car wreck in a 2007 suburban isn't going to get as much money as she is. She's set for life. Yours truly, America. Feeling a lot of sympathy for 2007 girl. She's the real girl getting screwed over.

Last edited by lewimaech235; 01-06-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or