U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 PM

21,569 posts, read 26,201,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Those were certainly the everglades. Check the link source.
I checked the source of the photo. Had to Google the image, since you did not provide a link.

The photographer is from Florida.

The photo you posted was taken when he made a trip to North Carolina. The scenery is from the Blue Ridge, not the Everglades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 PM

20,919 posts, read 22,498,363 times
This is what I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
For a third time I am asking you, "How do you know what this family's financial situation is?" Many Americans have enough for college, a nice car and a decent house. That doesn't make them wealthy.

You said you are willing to take criticism but why aren't you willing to back up your statements? All I see is a lot of rhetoric to hide the fact that your comments are based on pure conjecture and you have no proof of their validity.
This is what you responded quoting my post
Quote:
For a child right after or in HS? Definitely not.

It's funny how many of you can't see the obvious. I guess if a girl behind a Lamborghini dies behind a car crash and had Louis Vuitton, an actual 24k gold-plated iphone 6+, a million dollars worth of jewelery on her, s/he probably wasn't the owner. She could have been some person driving it for someone.
What the heck does your answer have to do with my question? It makes no sense. A 7 year old girl driving a Lamborghini? After High School? You are correct, I am not "seeing the obvious." Would you please enlighten me.

And for the record, if her dad had one Lamborghini or fifteen Lamborghinis I would still feel sorry for her because I am a human being with a heart and compassion. It's funny how you cannot see the obvious in what people are trying to point out to you.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 PM

4,863 posts, read 3,730,422 times
Quote:
No, it's not. People also just want a nice feel-good story.
Last I checked, anyone losing their family members is not a feel good story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrateduser59 View Post
OP is spot on... I don't usually post on comments but signed up just to agree with him/her.

Money runs the world
Created a second account to agree with yourself, I see.

Quote:
Barack Obama considers anyone making over $200,000 to be rich, and this family definitely fulfills his requirements, and to an higher extent than that. This girl isn't in any financial struggle with what she's going to get, and it's a shame that a fund is being set up for her. She clearly doesn't need it. Maybe she'll use it to take more vacations (no offense but you have to do something with your money) when she realizes how much she has alone without any assistance from the public. She already had enough for college, a nice car, and a decent house combined, and she needs more money?
So you've seen the family's bank account, huh? Their balance sheet? Their tax return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This is what I posted.

This is what you responded quoting my post

What the heck does your answer have to do with my question? It makes no sense. A 7 year old girl driving a Lamborghini? After High School? You are correct, I am not "seeing the obvious." Would you please enlighten me.

And for the record, if her dad had one Lamborghini or fifteen Lamborghinis I would still feel sorry for her because I am a human being with a heart and compassion. It's funny how you cannot see the obvious in what people are trying to point out to you.
The OP appears to be in his own disjointed, odd world. And off his meds.

That little girl is quite the tough, scrappy little trooper. She will have a rough road ahead of her. I wish her all the best.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 PM

4,863 posts, read 3,730,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I checked the source of the photo. Had to Google the image, since you did not provide a link.

The photographer is from Florida.

The photo you posted was taken when he made a trip to North Carolina. The scenery is from the Blue Ridge, not the Everglades.
Yep, Suzy, you are correct! Basic Internet know-how and simple reading comprehension. The photo is definitely NOT the Everglades.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM

22,765 posts, read 28,640,887 times
Quote:
I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle.
there are a lot of posts in this thread, so im sure I wont be the first to say this. I have nothing but very bad things to say about you and your friend.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 PM

13,467 posts, read 5,247,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there are a lot of posts in this thread, so im sure I wont be the first to say this. I have nothing but very bad things to say about you and your friend.
Some comments show that a person is mean and disgusting.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:45 PM

11,409 posts, read 6,820,345 times
Quote:
Those were certainly the everglades. Check the link source.
A point of information for the poster's "enlightenment"?

Sugarloaf Mountain (Florida) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-07-2015, 12:12 AM

3,140 posts, read 3,967,754 times
To answer the Original Post, without reading the other comments, I would have to say that the OP's understanding of wealth and social class is severely lacking.

To me, the names of the family members were almost as horrifying as the crash. Those were not "Upper Class" names (I think the Op was basically calling the little girl 'Upper Class'). In fact, people in my circles would consider those to be Lower Class names. So, any money in the family is surely extremely new. People like that generally don't have very solid wealth.

And that was just a little twin-engine PROPELLER PLANE. It wasn't a private jet.

Not long ago, many ordinary Middle Class AMERICAN families in my native Mississippi had their own planes. It was a normal part of modernity. And magazines like Popular Science anticipated the day when Americans would have their own Flying Saucers: http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/upl...ing-carpet.jpg They, like Airplanes, were to be considered normal extensions of the lives of ordinary Americans.

But then, our future got stolen. Kennedy opened up the country to disadvantageous immigration, and Johnson instituted programs which caused the least productive segment of society to begin reproducing at a frenetic pace. The war in Viet Nam killed-off a generation of our Best & Brightest men, to be replaced who-knows-what, from other countries. The replacements were/are not as industrious, as technically proficient, and as prudent as Americans.

That little girl's family's level of affluence reflects the immense productivity of ordinary Middle Class Americans. We were once an overwhelmingly Middle Class nation. Unfortunately, Americans have been diluted/displaced/replaced by "others". The decreased productivity of the "others", and the immense costs associated with the social ills they generate, have sapped the nation's resources.

Too, the country has become overcrowded. The skies are full . The roads are packed. The nation, quite by design, is being transformed into a dumbed-down Third World country - its Heartland transformed into a landscape of giant factory farms served by an immense CHEAP LABOR POOL. You wouldn't believe what's happening to Iowa, Nebraska, and Arkansas, these days.

So, maybe that family were Dinosaurs of sorts - relics from a time when ordinary Americans, once the tallest and smartest people on the planet, flew around in their own little planes - planes paid for with the proceeds from those Americans' own intelligence, prudence, and productivity. It is hardly the fault of families like that little girl's, that they have come to be surrounded by people who are incapable of generating the sort of affluence which Americans ought to be able to take for granted.

It is not the Gutzler family's fault that all across America, people who are too poor and feckless to raise children, continue to irresponsibly bring babies into this overcrowded world. The fact that some people have far less than the Gutzlers did is not evidence of that family's being greedy or grabby, or of there being some unconscionable systemic inequality.

I just looked up the accident, and see that the "family fortune" is about fifty years old, and consists of a small furniture store in a small town in the Heartland. The little girl's father was (in addition to working in the furniture store) a part-time commercial pilot/flight instructor, which explains the ownership of the plane. These were apparently just ordinary Lutheran German-Americans: smart people who worked hard for what they had. America used to be FULL of people like that.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-07-2015 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM

20,919 posts, read 22,498,363 times
I have been thinking about the OP's original post and have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't belong in the Current Events forum.

The OP has used this story as a platform for his own political agenda to spew his hatred for those who have wealth. By bringing this child's sad situation into the picture he has created an atmosphere of political debate that should really be in the Politics Forum. He discusses the family from a socioeconomic point of view and then expounds upon his political opinions. This has nothing to do with the current events aspects of this story which is simply one of the tragedy of a brave little girl who was able to save herself after losing her family in an horrific accident.

Since there are now so many good posts that are discussing the child and her family, it's become a mixture of politics and current events so there would be no point in moving it at this stage of the game. Having said that, I for one, am going to ignore the political rantings of this inappropriate OP from now on. I am going to stick to commenting about the story of a child who has been through a terrible ordeal and who deserves all the help and support she receives now and in the future.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:28 PM

451 posts, read 357,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
What's the price to smash your face beyond recognition with an aluminum bat? How much money will you accept to stand there while someone does it? You may/may not live through it, it's a risk you would have to take...

Dollar amount?

Maybe money isn't everything...
This is a great idea! We could help make the OP wealthy beyond recognition. Maybe make an event out of it and charge $*** per swing with the bat. Of course, OP gets to keep all the proceeds. He/she could leave the millions that would likely be collected to his/her 7 yr. old. who would then be left alone with no mom, dad, sister... no clue about what to do with money or life. But hey... the child would be wealthy.

I can't believe the OP is for real........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or