U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM

5,362 posts, read 6,492,706 times

Advertisements

sounds like a brave and determined little girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM

58,056 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
€˜Tough little girl,€™ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.
Not that it should make any difference but how do you know there are any factors of wealth involved? PA-34s have been produced since 1971 and are available from ~ $110K and may well be used as business tools. Do you actually have any factual information about the value/use of this aircraft or did you just feel like singin' the blues??

Quote:
Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.
I guess you'd quickly close the sympathy bag if you heard they were returning to a $1.5M home, eh?

Quote:
Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.
What is your interest other than whining about people living their lives?

Quote:
It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

I don't understand this world.
The only sensible thing you've written.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:26 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,578,071 times
What a crazy post. No matter how lavish her lifestyle she is a child and a child not only needs but loves their parents. This is devastating to that little girl.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,685,796 times
The child who survived an accident that killed her family...that child is entirely deserving of my sympathy! Not to mention the ordeal she went through to find her way from the site of the accident all that way to that house through such rough terrain all by herself! I feel for her, as I would for any child who is left an orphan by such a horrific experience.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:44 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,427,506 times
Quote:
‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect.

I don't understand a person like yourself. It's so amazing that this little girl survived a plane crash and then walked the distant that she did. She is an example of a walking miracle. I'm so happy that she survived. The fact that you're jealous of her socio-economic status is pathetic and says a lot about you.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 26 days ago)

12,307 posts, read 7,456,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
OP, so your level of compassion is dependent on the balance sheets of the victims?
There are a lot of narrow, vicious minds on this site who believe that a lot more than that should be determined by that "standard".

Old 01-03-2015, 07:04 PM

51,697 posts, read 13,037,142 times
You are one heartless human being.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM

10,111 posts, read 12,332,459 times
Quote:
€˜Tough little girl,€™ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.

Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.

Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.

It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

No, you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Wow. OP you need a reality check.
I'm about to give her one now.

You voted for Obama and change, right?

Where do you get off with the $800,000 aircraft routine???

It's a PA-34 or more commonly known as a Piper Seneca.

Here is a Piper Seneca for sale, 1980 PIPER PA-34 Seneca, which can be purchased for $110,000 which, last time I did my math, is a long way from the $800,000 you mistakenly claimed.

Actually if you offered $100,000 the owner would most likely take the offer.

I've flown a Seneca and it's a little underpowered for my taste but it is reasonably priced

Having been a pilot for 45 years flying airplanes can get a little pricey but there are ways around it which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

My last airplane was a PA28/200R that was $90,000 and when I say "we" there were four of us and the four of us would defray the fixed cost of ownership.

We each put in $25,000 (that is a lot of money but not a billionaires ransom) which we used to purchase the airplane, rent a spot in a T hanger ($200/month) and purchase insurance which was $4,700 for the four of us.

We added up the fixed cost of hanger rent, insurance and cost of annual inspection and split those cost four ways payable in monthly dues. My monthly cost was $250 whether I flew the airplane or not. That was the cost of ownership.

To fly we each paid our own gasoline which is properly called aviation fuel.

Engine overhaul is $25,000 and Lycoming had our engine at 2,000 hours but we figured 1,800. Engine overhaul was $14 per hour so I had to pay $14/flight hour (hobbs hour which only runs when the engine is running with the hobbs meter activated by oil pressure).

So I paid $250/month and if I flew 20 hours (2,800 hours @ 140 mph) for which I paid $336 plus the fuel which at 9 gallons per hour would run $40/hour. Avgas is not cheap. 2,800 miles in a month would run me $1,330 or $0.47/mile.

That is less than what the IRS allows for automobile travel on a per mile basis.

As for the miles airplanes travel mostly in a straight line. If you are driving 1,000 miles on a road trip and I'm flying to the same destination it is not unusual at all for my miles to be 800 miles. That 2,800 miles I flew was actually closer to 3,500 in equivalent road miles so by comparison I was spending $0.38 per mile which is about what you would spend in your Honda traveling the same distance.

How would you feel if this family had driven the family Honda to Key West and had been killed in a road accident in Kentucky? Would you feel all better about it?

Many of us who fly have a passion and while I never was into boating or golf I know people who spent a lot more money on sailing and golf than I did on flying. My hobby wasn't cheap but it was my passion and as a trade off my wife got someone who worked hard to be able to do it, never drank, didn't like boats or even sports because everything I did was centered around the airplane. On the plus side my wife and I once flew 600 miles to have lunch in New Orleans but what is that to you?

So before you spew I would suggest you find out how the real world operates.

Oh, if he was rich he would not be flying a Seneca. Not at all, if he is rich then maybe a Cessna 425 Conquest which is an $800,000 airplane.

Last edited by nicet4; 01-03-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 08:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,919,079 times
A 7 year old who survived a plane crash that killed her family is definitely worthy of sympathy. Regardless of her family financial situation (which none of us know). There's no amount of money that will bring her family back. She's obviously a tough, smart girl.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,991,676 times
That poor girl.

As for the OP, wow.
Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or