U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:11 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,726,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
So because the family was wealthy (according to you- no reference to that in the article), this child who lost her entire family in a horrific accident deserves no sympathy (?). I'm sorry, I don't agree with you at all. My criteria for feeling compassion for another human being isn't dependent on the size of their bank account. I can only hope this little girl has other loving family members to help her through this tragedy.
^^^^ this.

It didn't even occur to me that they had money. When I heard the news, all I could think was "poor child, she has lost her family". All the money in the world won't give her her mom and dad back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,627,921 times
I have a friend who was hit while riding his motorcycle by a domino's delivery making an illegal turn. He has permanent cosmetic (one arm is 13.5", his other is 16.5", he lifts. It severed a nerve) damage and physical damage (he cannot run) and lost around 30# during hospitalization and nearly lost his leg.

His settlement was for millions.

I asked him one time now that the pain is mostly gone and he is 100% mobile, just hurts if he runs, "is it worth it?". He told me he would live in a trailer in a trashy trailer park and live on Ramen noodles to have back what he lost.

He lost nothing close to what this girl has.

Money doesn't make some things better, contrary to the atheist views of the world or the Christian interpretation of Job or any viewpoint in between. Some loss simply cannot be quantified or compensated.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 AM

9,964 posts, read 11,858,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I have a friend who was hit while riding his motorcycle by a domino's delivery making an illegal turn. He has permanent cosmetic (one arm is 13.5", his other is 16.5", he lifts. It severed a nerve) damage and physical damage (he cannot run) and lost around 30# during hospitalization and nearly lost his leg.

His settlement was for millions.

I asked him one time now that the pain is mostly gone and he is 100% mobile, just hurts if he runs, "is it worth it?". He told me he would live in a trailer in a trashy trailer park and live on Ramen noodles to have back what he lost.

He lost nothing close to what this girl has.

Money doesn't make some things better, contrary to the atheist views of the world or the Christian interpretation of Job or any viewpoint in between. Some loss simply cannot be quantified or compensated.
If they are healthy people do not understand how wealthy and fortunate they really are.

Money is a fleeting thing and when you come right down to it it doesn't matter.

When he died of pancreatic cancer Steve Jobs had a reported net worth of $10.2 billion.

My understanding is pancreatic cancer is not an easy way to go and it is very painful. In his last photo taken in 2011, Steven on the left is being helped by a friend, he looks a little older than 56 years old to me.

At the time that photo was taken, Steve had very little time left with us when it was, what do you suppose Steven Jobs would have given to you to make him as cancer free and healthy as you are? $1,000? $10,000? $100,000? $1,000,000?

How about ALL OF IT? Given Steve Jobs condition, lots of pain and nearly bedridden, is there anyone here who would have tried to negotiate with someone who could give back your perfect health?

I would have said "You got it all, dude!"

We all need to remember if you have your health and live in America you are among the most richest people on the planet having more wealth than Steve Jobs had when that photo was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think they got off right after someone making a lame-ass attempt at politicizing this incident.
I was asking a simple question to which I already knew the answer.

The OP, not me, politicized the accident with her very first post.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,045,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.

Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.

Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.

It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

I don't understand this world.
You are what is wrong with this country.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 AM

820 posts, read 761,850 times
This is a miracle. I have a feeling there will be many more Sailors in this world. May her life be filled with a gentle and comforting breeze that has the love of her lost family.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 AM

703 posts, read 658,515 times
It looks like everybody feels sympathetic to the wealthy. Think about how many Mexican children (7 years old) die just trying to get across the border. Do we ever report on them when every case happens? When was the last time you ever heard of a wealthy person on death row? Apparently, the jury only sentences the poor to death. CEO of a company in Texas murders his wife in the most brutal way with beatings and stabbings, 25 years in prison. A trailer park man kills his girlfriend with a pill, death. This country has never felt any sympathy for the poor, and I'm tired of it. I'm not going to sit down and feel one shred of sympathy for the extremely wealthy. I will only feel sympathy for the less fortunate because they deserve it.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 14,949,535 times
Quote:
It looks like everybody feels sympathetic to the wealthy. Think about how many Mexican children (7 years old) die just trying to get across the border. Do we ever report on them when every case happens? When was the last time you ever heard of a wealthy person on death row? Apparently, the jury only sentences the poor to death. CEO of a company in Texas murders his wife in the most brutal way with beatings and stabbings, 25 years in prison. A trailer park man kills his girlfriend with a pill, death. This country has never felt any sympathy for the poor, and I'm tired of it. I'm not going to sit down and feel one shred of sympathy for the extremely wealthy. I will only feel sympathy for the less fortunate because they deserve it.
It's a big story not only because she survived, but because of how she survived, the incredible strength she showed. This child had the smarts to use the burning wing of the plane to light a branch so she could then tromp barefoot wearing only shorts and a t-shirt in frigid weather, with broken bones and bleeding, through 3/4 of a mile of brush, thorns, even a 12-foot creek bed, no trails, in pitch black woods, no compass or way to know where she was, knowing she is the only one who can get help to her family....it is an incredible story of survival and she is an amazing little girl and deserves admiration as well as empathy and compassion. What on earth is wrong with people?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-04-2015 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 10:05 AM

12,001 posts, read 6,620,565 times
Quote:
Do you have links for those cases? Were they in the same state? How do they relate to a 7 year old girl being the lone survivor of a plane crash?

You know what is really sad...if you needed help I would bet that family would have helped you.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:11 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,529,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
A 7 year old who survived a plane crash that killed her family is definitely worthy of sympathy. Regardless of her family financial situation (which none of us know). There's no amount of money that will bring her family back. She's obviously a tough, smart girl.
Just imagine if that little girl had knocked on the door of some sicko instead of the decent human being who answered the door. Things could have gotten worse.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 AM

31,288 posts, read 57,507,744 times
Quote:
Alright, I'm ready to get slammed
And you deserve each and every slam. Money is no substitute for a mother and a father.

And there is no such word as "alright".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or