U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:44 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,280,028 times

Advertisements

JWG223, yours is a very inspiring story! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:49 PM

13,122 posts, read 17,669,146 times
well Im so glad that elderly man answered his door and found her standing there . Having that presence of mind at 7 yrs old to go find help for herself cause I think she knew the others were dead . I would have probably paniced and lost my direction at my age . I cannot imagine being 7 yrs old and knowing to do that . I hope the Lord blesses her and guides her for the rest of her life . She most likely will have a long road ahead of her in coming to terms with all of her siblings gone and her parents gone . So sad I wish her well .

Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 6,577,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well Im so glad that elderly man answered his door and found her standing there . Having that presence of mind at 7 yrs old to go find help for herself cause I think she knew the others were dead . I would have probably paniced and lost my direction at my age . I cannot imagine being 7 yrs old and knowing to do that . I hope the Lord blesses her and guides her for the rest of her life . She most likely will have a long road ahead of her in coming to terms with all of her siblings gone and her parents gone . So sad I wish her well .
Somewhere in the thread it was mentioned that her father taught her survival skills. What a gift he gave his daughter, not knowing what the future held.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,658,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It appears the little girl's family ran a furniture store.

Girl, 7, Who Walked Away from Plane Crash Had Survival Skills: Family - NBC News

"Sailor's father, Marty Gutzler, had been flying since he was 16, logging about 4,000 hours, and taught as a flight instructor, family said. He had made that same trip from Florida to Illinois 'many, many times,' a family friend told NBC News.

The family owned Gutzler's Furniture, which Marty Gutzler's father opened more than 50 years ago in their hometown of Nashville, Illinois. Troy Dunbar, a 15-year employee and family friend, said the accident was a 'big time" loss for the area. 'This family is very embedded in the community,' Dunbar said."

I have no words for the OP. Just speechless.
The fact that Mr. Dunbar worked for the family for 15yrs says a lot about these people.

They also kept a business operating through some very tough economic times, which kept people employed.

What a brave little girl, how anyone could not have empathy for her is beyond me.

And you don't have to rich to own a plane. I know a couple who have no kids, who work blue collar jobs, who own a small plane.

Regardless, this girl has lost her whole family at once. I lost both my parents a year apart as an adult and am still devastated by it. Can't even imagine what she is going through.

Shame on you OP.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM

20,880 posts, read 22,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Somewhere in the thread it was mentioned that her father taught her survival skills. What a gift he gave his daughter, not knowing what the future held.
I had heard that when the story was first given on NBC Evening News. Here is a link.

Girl, 7, Who Walked Away from Plane Crash Had Survival Skills: Family - NBC News

Old 01-04-2015, 04:06 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,496,641 times
OP , consider yourself slammed !!!
what an angle to this tragedy.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:06 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,482,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It looks like everybody feels sympathetic to the wealthy. Think about how many Mexican children (7 years old) die just trying to get across the border. Do we ever report on them when every case happens? When was the last time you ever heard of a wealthy person on death row? Apparently, the jury only sentences the poor to death. CEO of a company in Texas murders his wife in the most brutal way with beatings and stabbings, 25 years in prison. A trailer park man kills his girlfriend with a pill, death. This country has never felt any sympathy for the poor, and I'm tired of it. I'm not going to sit down and feel one shred of sympathy for the extremely wealthy. I will only feel sympathy for the less fortunate because they deserve it.
Wow. Just wow. Something wrong with you, man.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,038,766 times
Quote:
It looks like everybody feels sympathetic to the wealthy. Think about how many Mexican children (7 years old) die just trying to get across the border. Do we ever report on them when every case happens? When was the last time you ever heard of a wealthy person on death row? Apparently, the jury only sentences the poor to death. CEO of a company in Texas murders his wife in the most brutal way with beatings and stabbings, 25 years in prison. A trailer park man kills his girlfriend with a pill, death. This country has never felt any sympathy for the poor, and I'm tired of it. I'm not going to sit down and feel one shred of sympathy for the extremely wealthy. I will only feel sympathy for the less fortunate because they deserve it.
No, it has nothing to do with her wealth. Being in a plane crash at 7 years old and losing your whole family is horrible, period. The fact that you feel nothing purely because her family was smart enough to amass some level of wealth above poverty level is borderline sociopathic. Everyone ends up in the ground eventually, how much money one has isn't a measure of anything other then basic intelligence and self discipline.

Building wealth over the course of a few generations in the US is not hard at all. If your family hasn't done it, you guys have nobody to blame but yourselves. You can change the fate of your family and teach your children to manage wealth so that they can continue where you leave off when you meet your inevitable demise. Compound interest is a powerful force, ignore it at your own peril.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 PM

9,293 posts, read 5,794,856 times
"I don't understand this world"

You apparently lack critical thinking skills.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 PM

13,437 posts, read 5,227,534 times
Quote:
‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.

Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.

Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.

It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

I don't understand this world.
Money doesn't replace last family. I understand why you're ready to get slammed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or