Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times

Advertisements

This has to be one of the most hateful OPs I've seen on here.

Way to politicize a sad moment in ones life. This young 7 year old girl had to walk through tough terrain, in the middle of the night, in a strange area, in the cold, wearing shorts, a short sleeve shirt and wearing one sock, while having broken bones. This girl probably had more resilience than I would've had. That half hour she endured was probably one of the most fearful in her life. And who knows what kind of person would've answered the door, when she knocked? It's all very scary.

You may not understand the world, but I don't understand you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Well OP, you said you want to feel sorry for this little girl because you cannot because she is wealthy. So from these many posts you can see that the plan her family owned was not worth $800,000+, she lives in a small middle class MidWesterm town, her dad owned a small business passed down to him by his father, their church consisted of regular everyday people probably much like yourself and they were coming back from a modest vacation not a trip to the Bahamas when tragedy stuck them.

In short, this family from all indication was a hard working, church going average American family neither rich nor poor who had a nine year old plane with which they used to take their vacations in nearby vacation spots. Other people probably spent more money on commercial flights to take their vacations. It certainly doesn't make either wealthy.

Click on the many links supplied since you tried to post yours. Google more of them to learn about this family to see how wrong you have been about them. So are you going to feel sorry now for this little girl now? Somehow I don't think you are because a mean spirit will always be a mean spirit but I would love to be proven wrong.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.

Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.

Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.

It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

I don't understand this world.
Have you ever considered that just because you were born into wealth, it does not mean that you are predestined to be successful? The inverse is also true. Just because you aren't as "privileged" as this little girl, does not mean that you're guaranteed to do poorly.

I'd take having my parents alive over whatever insurance policy they may have had. I think most people would. Growing up from 7 years on without parents, without your closest family, is probably incredibly hard. No matter how much money she has, nothing will ever make her life normal. She will be, for the rest of her life, the girl who was the sole survivor of a plane crash.

I won't chide you for feeling the way you do, but it's not your lack of sympathy for someone you don't know that gets me. It's your lack of sympathy for someone merely because you perceive someone who lost both of her parents and her immediate family as better off than you are.

Do you perceive your life to be that bad? If so, why are you so ungrateful? Do you believe yourself to be, with what appears to be at least an average IQ, internet access, and merely the ability to think out loud that your own life is less than what you want, that poor? Do you value your parents so little that you would take their insurance money over their lives? They are the reason you exist, and they're the reason—for better or for worse, given the context of this conversation—you are the person you are right now. Don't sell yourself short.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,295 times
OP is spot on... I don't usually post on comments but signed up just to agree with him/her.

Money runs the world

Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM

OP do you have any experience with prisoners? I knew a guy once who went to Harvard and did his thesis on this very topic.

Believe he is in prison now but you might be able to get the paperwork on his findings.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrateduser59 View Post
OP is spot on... I don't usually post on comments but signed up just to agree with him/her.

Money runs the world
What's the price to smash your face beyond recognition with an aluminum bat? How much money will you accept to stand there while someone does it? You may/may not live through it, it's a risk you would have to take...

Dollar amount?

Maybe money isn't everything...

Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Though the money from life insurance and estate will make this child's life easier than a child from a poor family with a similar tragedy, the loss of parents and siblings has to be equally emotionally devastating.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking folks who have money somehow don't experience the same level of emotional pain as those without. I think the pain is the same, but definitely the stress is lessened by not having to worry where your next meal is coming from.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:58 PM

i'm just agreeing with lewimaech235... this is such a through provoking topic. He/she should respond to the money ruling the world.

Lewimaech seriously have you ever dealt with the Ivy Leagues? You seem very smart, like you went to Brown.

I bet he doesn't work at Starbucks.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
i'm just agreeing with lewimaech235... this is such a through provoking topic. He/she should respond to the money ruling the world.

Lewimaech seriously have you ever dealt with the Ivy Leagues? You seem very smart, like you went to Brown.

I bet he doesn't work at Starbucks.
I don't think it's thought-provoking at all. If the OP is genuine in his statements, he is obviously a bitter, jealous, poor man. He also, obviously, lacks intellect, which is why he has not made more of a success for himself, so, in turn, has jealous hatred for those of us who have. Not all of us are equal. Some of us are better than the OP, because we are smarter and have worked harder in our lives. Thus, we now have more money than he has, and it infuriates him because it makes him realize that he is a loser and has not amounted to anything worthwhile.

My guess is that you are correct. He doesn't work at Starbucks. I would wager that he doesn't work at all, and feeds off of his parents or other relatives, all the while lamenting that the world is so "unfair" to him.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:

Money runs the world
Then you have obviously skipped all the numerous posts that have shown that there is no proof this family was weathly. Not that it matters. A loss is a loss not matter how much money one has. You and the OP are worse than any billiionaire on the planet because you judge people solely by their money and not by who they are or what their circumstances. Money to you is just as important as it is to any greedy person of wealth. The only difference is that they have money and you don't. All you have is bitterness and resentment that you are not rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events