Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Even if that wasn't happening, why would anyone want to go there?
Typical American ethnocentric response. How about the beauty many areas of India offers? How about curiosity? Or enjoying learning about another culture? My father is from India, and someday, when I can afford it, I will go there and explore my roots. Crime happens in all areas of the world, including your very own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
With all the stories in the news about gang rapes in India why would anyone go there?

Another reason to stay out.

India Failing to Control Open Defecation Blunts Nation
Probably because not all parts are equally bad. India is a lot like the European Union, an amalgamation of different cultures and regions, some better than others. North India is generally the "Eastern Europe" of India. That's not to say that the South is great, but it is significantly safer and more modern. All the same, it's probably not a good idea for anyone - male or female - to visit alone on their first trip. This also goes for people of Indian descent as well as people who were born in India but haven't visited in a long time. Life in the safe Western world tends to eliminate street-smartness.

Gaya, btw, is in India's most crime-ridden and poorest state of Bihar. The New Delhi rapes were also committed by people from this state.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM

65 posts, read 73,286 times
Poor lady. I hope she can recover from this terrible ordeal.

There is much reporting about India and rape. I wonder how wide spread and how typical it actually is? After all rape happens every day in the US too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well, for starters many Americans men and women are assigned to go there for business. India is a huge job center for our offshoring job operations. And many Americans have to go there to train and assist Indians there.
Very true. India is a big supplier in my field too and a female coworker of mine travelled there alone on business. She came back safe.

Last edited by hmmppm; 01-04-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well, for starters many Americans men and women are assigned to go there for business. India is a huge job center for our offshoring job operations. And many Americans have to go there to train and assist Indians there.
So would they be going there if their employer wasn't sending them there for business?

Quote: "India is a huge job center for our offshoring job operations".

Forgive me, but I don't see this as a plus for our country. But that is a different topic altogether.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM

249 posts, read 419,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Even if that wasn't happening, why would anyone want to go there?
Because it's a beautiful place with a rich history and great food. Many British go there for vacation for the last 100+ years.

Plenty of Americans visit Mexico and we all know Mexico has huge issues

Protip: no place is perfect. why would anyone want to visit America with all of our gun violence? Oh thats because gun violence is a small part of Americas issues.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:45 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I've heard far more cases about cop violence or mass shooting in the US than women raped in India. However, nobody has ever asked "why would anyone want to go to the US?".
That's the key. We haven't heard about India's long history of sexual violence until these recent spectacular cases. Just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't a serious problem.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:46 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmppm View Post
Poor lady. I hope she can recover from this terrible ordeal.

There is much reporting about India and rape. I wonder how wide spread and how typical it actually is? After all rape happens every day in the US too?
Not too many brutal gang rapes, though. You don't usually have to fear your bus driver in the US.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
Because it's a beautiful place with a rich history and great food. Many British go there for vacation for the last 100+ years.

Protip: no place is perfect. why would anyone want to visit America with all of our gun violence? Oh thats because gun violence is a small part of Americas issues.
The other issue with India, is that rapists caught usually get away as the victims chose not to cooperate due to shame or fear of their life. They prosecution rate for rape is very low and their government haven't taken a harder line handing out stiffer punishment until some of the recent gang rape + murder cases. Still it won't change the culture there because it is a large country and many rural areas are lawless.

Similar conditions in China where many areas are largely lawless but you don't hear of rape cases because different cultures.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I've heard far more cases about cop violence or mass shooting in the US than women raped in India. However, nobody has ever asked "why would anyone want to go to the US?".
It's interesting you should say that. My cousin and her family including many other family members through marriage live in Israel. They had to take cover often during the recent fighting in Gaza. Yet, when I mentioned concerned for her safety, with all the random shootings they read about and see on the news taking place in the US she was concerned for mine.

It's all a matter of one's point of view I guess.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
Mexico may be a good example of India since 90% of it is not safe for an American by themselves or in a small group.
Outside the Beach resorts, no way would I travel to Mexico. We used to cross the Borders.
No longer is Mexico safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events