U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2015, 01:44 PM
 
10,608 posts, read 13,472,648 times
Reputation: 17169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
There are plenty of documentaries about how animals are farmed and processed on an industrial scale, about how their poop, goop, and pink slime makes its way into sausages, spam, etc. Or if you look at how people live in the massive landfills or in areas where factories dump chemicals - there will be a lot that one's stomach can't handle. There's a dark side, an underbelly, an ugly side - to every society that no one wants to see.
.
I am laughing so hard at the comparison between AMERICA - especially nutritionally proven pink slime - and the "UNDERBELLY - UGLY SIDE" of India.

Oh ... and Americans living IN (or even near) "massive landfills"....

Do you live near America's big landfills? - Business - Forbes.com | NBC News

That's as ridiculous/funny as one of the Chinese comments on the Filthy India blog post:

Quote:
Actually, this is exactly how America does it, using violence to beat the Indians [Native Americans] to death, pushing the Asian, African, and poor out into the country, running the poor white people into the surrounding outskirts of the cities. America’s police are even more terrible than China’s chengguan. If you’re within two meters of a police officer, you have to raise your hands, otherwise American police have the right to shoot you dead.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-06-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:34 PM
 
237 posts, read 194,061 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I am laughing so hard at the comparison between AMERICA - especially nutritionally proven pink slime - and the "UNDERBELLY - UGLY SIDE" of India.

Oh ... and Americans living IN (or even near) "massive landfills"....

Do you live near America's big landfills? - Business - Forbes.com | NBC News

That's as ridiculous/funny as one of the Chinese comments on the Filthy India blog post:
Actually, if you want to know the truth, the underbelly or ugly side of America is not pink slime - it is slavery. I am rolling on the floor laughing at how ridiculously ignorant you are of trashing another country when your own treated its people like dirt (actually worse than dirt), systematically brutalized them, raped their women, enslaved their children.

So please.. before you trash another country, take a long hard look and try to understand what the "dark side" really means. Pink slime was just a frivolous example. Doesn't mean that is the only example.

Treating humans as cattle, as sub-human, and raping their women for decades, chaining their children, killing them, forcing them to work and die, so a few elite could sip on tea and crumpets - I am not sure how to deal with those kind of horrors.

So please - don't get all peachy and cocky - at least not just yet. Wait for a few centuries like all decent civilizations do - before time buries all these dark pasts. And in the meantime, do try and acknowledge that if others can be massively screwed up, so can you. We're all in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,863,526 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Value all life huh?.....A little incongruous then how they just allow the dead bodies of (supposed) loved ones to float or sit out rotting to be picked apart by animals.

I just went through the photos in the link above about the filth in India....I consider myself someone with a very strong stomach who is not affected by gore but the photos shown had even me getting disgusted.....and the fact that people there will bathe, swim and DRINK (!!!!) from the water with the dead rotting corpses of humans and animals floating in it is beyond comprehension. And for those who haven't visited the site linked to (would be best if you didn't on a full stomach!), I'm not talking about some abstract "burial at sea" where the deceased are sent to a watery grave.....the photos are of dead, bloated, rotting corpses floating IN FULL VIEW and close to the riverside where people are bathing, brushing their teeth, drinking.....it is truly horrifying.

Talk all you want about culture, religious beliefs, etc. but to live like that is ABNORMAL to any reasonable, rational thinking person and IMO it is a culture that either needs to change to get with the times or should become extinct.
A lot of this has do with the religious superstition that the Ganges, Yamuna, and other "holy" rivers cannot be contaminated by any human activity, and that it's a great blessing to bathe in them, which reduces the number of reincarnations they have to go through. It's a belief that more or less worked out way back in the days before the population explosion, and when ease of travel to those sites greatly increased (people couldn't afford to stop all their work and move a corpse a thousand miles by oxcart).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
The truth hurts, but when my fellow Americans start getting on their high horse, I remind them of the following:

- If measuring by GDP, Americans are the 4th poorest in the world.
- We have fewer rights than pre-revolution Britian (no 5th or 1st amendment).
- The U.S. has engaged in attacks in 49 different countries since 1950.
- We have committed 32 invasions of other countries since 1950.
- 12 out of the 41 million of all war deaths since 1945 are by Americans.
- 8,200 military and 3,000 civilian deaths of the 41 million war deaths since 1945 are by Americans.
- 49 out of the 200 (24.5%) of all incidents in the world (post 1950) were by the US.
- The U.S. is the only country to have used an atomic bomb or WMDs in a war.
- The U.S. is the only country in the world that has never been invaded by a foreign country.
- US military spending is half of its tax revenue.
- If you are an American your chances being killed by a "terrorist" is 1 in 20,000,000.
- If you are a non-American, your chances of being killed by an American is 1 in 600. <<<READ THIS
- Hundreds of thousands of people around the world die of sickness and poverty due to US exploitation.
- The US attacked 2 different countries in the wake of 9/11. Neither of which had supported WMD's or terrorism.

Perspective, people, perspective.
I very much doubt the first two, and we were indeed invaded by the Japanese in WWII: They took possession of two Aleutian islands in Alaska for a year or so, which resulted in a few hundred deaths by the time they were driven off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM
 
Location: NoVa
2,044 posts, read 2,794,355 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
I'm well versed in Geography. India is a Hindu country and I didn't state otherwise. However close to 20% of their population is Muslim, and considering it is the second largest country in the world (with nearly 4x the population of the 3rd largest country in the world) that is a huge raw number.

There are nearly 190 Million Muslims in India.

Aside from Indonesia (which is the fourth largest in the world, but overwhelmingly Muslim) India has a larger population of Muslims than any other country in the world. Pakistan falls into third place with a total population slightly over 180 Million people (virtually 100% Islamic).
So what's your point? The folks committed the rape in the news were Hindus.

PS: For Hindu posters on the board, I'm not implying that Hindus are rapists. I'm just baffled by the above poster's irrelevant argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,454,117 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
Actually, if you want to know the truth, the underbelly or ugly side of America is not pink slime - it is slavery. I am rolling on the floor laughing at how ridiculously ignorant you are of trashing another country when your own treated its people like dirt (actually worse than dirt), systematically brutalized them, raped their women, enslaved their children.

So please.. before you trash another country, take a long hard look and try to understand what the "dark side" really means. Pink slime was just a frivolous example. Doesn't mean that is the only example.

Treating humans as cattle, as sub-human, and raping their women for decades, chaining their children, killing them, forcing them to work and die, so a few elite could sip on tea and crumpets - I am not sure how to deal with those kind of horrors.

So please - don't get all peachy and cocky - at least not just yet. Wait for a few centuries like all decent civilizations do - before time buries all these dark pasts. And in the meantime, do try and acknowledge that if others can be massively screwed up, so can you. We're all in the same boat.
I cannot rep you enough for your thoughtful, truthful and insightful posts. Kudos to you, asliarun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:58 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,454,117 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I very much doubt the first two, and we were indeed invaded by the Japanese in WWII: They took possession of two Aleutian islands in Alaska for a year or so, which resulted in a few hundred deaths by the time they were driven off.
But the most shocking one of all is this one. This is shameful beyond comprehension. Each and every American needs to know and remember this when the oh-so-common self-righteousness creeps up on them. No wonder so many people in other lands despise us and our war machine.

- If you are a non-American, your chances of being killed by an American is 1 in 600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:13 PM
 
11,606 posts, read 17,601,417 times
Reputation: 17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
The truth hurts, but when my fellow Americans start getting on their high horse, I remind them of the following:

- If measuring by GDP, Americans are the 4th poorest in the world.
- We have fewer rights than pre-revolution Britian (no 5th or 1st amendment).
- The U.S. has engaged in attacks in 49 different countries since 1950.
- We have committed 32 invasions of other countries since 1950.
- 12 out of the 41 million of all war deaths since 1945 are by Americans.
- 8,200 military and 3,000 civilian deaths of the 41 million war deaths since 1945 are by Americans.
- 49 out of the 200 (24.5%) of all incidents in the world (post 1950) were by the US.
- The U.S. is the only country to have used an atomic bomb or WMDs in a war.
- The U.S. is the only country in the world that has never been invaded by a foreign country.
- US military spending is half of its tax revenue.
- If you are an American your chances being killed by a "terrorist" is 1 in 20,000,000.
- If you are a non-American, your chances of being killed by an American is 1 in 600. <<<READ THIS
- Hundreds of thousands of people around the world die of sickness and poverty due to US exploitation.
- The US attacked 2 different countries in the wake of 9/11. Neither of which had supported WMD's or terrorism.

Perspective, people, perspective.
No argument that the dangers of India are exaggerated...BUT....

There are so many inaccuracies, half truths, subjective opinions, statistical lies, or just plain outright blatant falsehoods in the above that I do not know where to start.
It's really off topic here, but please start a separate thread so we can start poking holes in it. It deserves a thread in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,863,526 times
Reputation: 8043
6,000,000,000 non-US world population / 600 = 10,000,000 ....... wow! We're going to kill 10 million people! Ummmm ...... never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,641 posts, read 31,353,217 times
Reputation: 26737
I won't travel to India for business or pleasure, but it's not because I fear being gang-raped.

1.) I have a paralyzing fear of flying. I don't travel anywhere anymore, and have not for several years.

2.) I have no interest in or affection for Indian culture, history, or cuisine. I don't have to travel to India to learn about its culture or food, anyway. I just have to swivel my chair around at work. It's all around me.

3.) I have no interest in visiting dirty third-world countries. Been there done that. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,327 posts, read 2,918,372 times
Reputation: 6786
Ahem, as horrible as this incident is, it isn't any worse than what Jessica Chambers endured at the hands of the man or men who burned her alive, and, as some reports indicate, raped her before they set her ablaze. Does anyone even know about that? I can't believe how little media coverage it seems to have received.

Violence against women isn't isolated to poor and developing countries. It doesn't happen in only majority-Muslim or Hindu countries. It occurs too often right here in the good, ol' Christian USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top