Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 04:34 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times

Advertisements

my fear is that like the japanese soon we will be forced to seek employment in other countries and find ourselves prey for similar monsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 04:50 PM

404 posts, read 383,665 times
A female coworker of mine (from Chennai) was just telling me about how unsafe it is for women there. She said she does not go out at night. She also travels with men that she knows. She said several streets are packed with groups of men that will yell and howl at women. I asked her about the recent rape reports and she said it's common and she's glad to be here working in the U.S. Something simple as going to the mall by herself is amazing over here.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:52 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,244,468 times
When an old roommate of mine brought his French fiancee over to the states for the first time, she was afraid of getting shot and also was under the impression it would be hard for her to breathe the dirty air, being used to clean air. She thought most people here would be uneducated idiots.

You don't really know until you've actually explored.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM

687 posts, read 909,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Huh ? India is not a muslim country.
And yet it has a higher population of Muslims than Pakistan does.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,343,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's the key. We haven't heard about India's long history of sexual violence until these recent spectacular cases. Just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't a serious problem.
I'm not saying that it's not a serious problem, I'm just saying that India is a huge country with more than 1 billion inhabitants, of course there are crime capitals, but there are also safe places. America has tons of ****ty run-down ghettos where tourists or residents got shot at or beaten up, but obviously that has never stopped people from flooding into it even though applying for visas is such a nightmare for those who are not included in the VWP(which we are, yay!).
Anyway, my point is "Why would anyone want to visit India" is a laughable statement.

For the record, I have female friends who have been to India for several times and I'm pretty sure that they have never been raped.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-04-2015 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I'm not saying that it's not a serious problem, I'm just saying that India is a huge country with more than 1 billion inhabitants, of course there are crime capitals, but there are also safe places. America has tons of ****ty run-down ghettos where tourists or residents got shot at or beaten up, but obviously that has never stopped people from flooding into it even though applying for visas is such a nightmare for those who are not included in the VWP(which we are, yay!).
Anyway, my point is "Why would anyone want to visit India" is a laughable statement.

For the record, I have female friends who have been to India for several times and I'm pretty sure that they have never been raped.
Rape is a serious offense and less in common, the more common offense is harassment. You can walk down some street and expect verbal or even physical harassment in public places. Rape is getting attention because there is fervor that the government is not doing anything to stop it or handing out stiffer sentences.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,711,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
And yet it has a higher population of Muslims than Pakistan does.
That is the stupidest one liner I've ever heard. India is the second most populated country in the world with over 1.2 billion people. Of course their muslims are going to be more than Pakistan's, which only has what? 180 millions people maybe? Roughly 15% of India's population?

India is not for everyone and any woman traveling alone should definitely take extreme precautions, even when you go to Europe, let alone India. Both my visits there had been really pleasant, everywhere I went the people had been helpful and welcoming, the food fantastic, and the beauty of its landscape could only be rivaled by few countries: from snow capped mountains to blue seas to red cities to miles and miles of empty sand dunes.

I feel for this woman. I hope she has the courage to press charges and see it through trial.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,365,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not too many brutal gang rapes, though. You don't usually have to fear your bus driver in the US.
Exactly. There has been some analysis of the rape problem in India.

While the official rape rate is higher in the U.S., you have to keep in mind that women in India face more obstacles in reporting rape. They are far less likely to get any justice and they are more stigmatized as victims. The real rape rate in India is far higher than reported.

The main difference between the U.S. and India, is that rape in the U.S. tends to involve private locations and acquaintances. Rape in India tends to occur in public places by total strangers.

The infrastructure in India is very poor as far as basic public safety on the streets. This is also why so many of the rapes in India are gang rapes, which are rare in the U.S.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,365,593 times
Also, India has been very tolerant of men harassing and groping women on the street.

They call it "Eve teasing".

BBC News - Eve teasing in India: Assault or harassment by another name

Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,829,683 times
Just what is it with Indian men and gang rape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events