U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,692,737 times

Advertisements

WOW! I wonder where it went wrong for this poor misunderstood lad. I hope he reforms himself in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,692,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
He is the embodiment of what a parent fears their child could become.
I showed my chick the pic of this guy and asked her if our Son came home looking like this someday would we still love him. Her answer was shocking. Without hesitation she said NO!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 PM

687 posts, read 652,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Really, 'crickets' before I had a chance to respond?

Employ
I'm not an employer, but I've made two hiring decisions. The people who get to me have to get through various pre-screenings before they get to me, so someone similar would likely be excluded (by other people) before he got to me.

If I were directly hiring for a customer-facing role? Probably not, because customers usually expect someone who can deliver the fake Professional Smile and the whitewashed milquetoast look. If I were directly hiring for a programmer role and the applicant was a good programmer? Sure. If I were directly hiring for a graphic arts role and the applicant was a great modeler / animator / artist? Sure! And so on.

Rent
I wouldn't let ANYONE rent a room in my home, so it's irrelevant, but I know and have known folks with similar looks. Well, maybe not the tattooed eye, that is a unique BM I haven't seen before, but who the he|| am I to judge?!?

-------------------------

Again, this is a demonstrably horrible person. I'm judging the actions.
It was a joke.
I knew when typing it that no one would have a chance to respond, and I did not expect 'backlash' like this, but rather a couple chuckles.

If you do want to get semi-serious about it, I was in part making a statement about how people often use the phrase "I have no problem with XYZ" (or similar) when in reality when you dig deeper there really is an issue.

Oftentimes it's just the cool thing to say, to state that you "don't have a problem with...." in an effort to appear Politically Correct, because giving even an inkling that you don't toe-the-line 100% of the time with every thought, neuron, and synapse might garner backlash from the group.

Lots of people do this in an effort to conform (which is interesting here talking about supposedly 'non-conformist' styles like getting face tats) with the overall group, especially if that group is politically correct and conforms to the party line of thought.

When typing the comment I also knew the odds of anyone being an employer are fairly low in the general population, and no I didn't seriously think you had a room available, the odds once again were somewhat low.

As for judging....people judge all the time. It is an evolutionary trait and it has kept our species alive throughout history. "Judging" (in the neutral sense of the word, not the negative context the word usually takes on) lets us know whether something is safe or whether there is potential (or likely, or near certain) danger.

Most reasonable people (and especially employers) would "judge" getting tattoos on one's face to be a fairly poor decision. And by "fairly poor decision" I mean....quite awful. If someone was willing to choose such a horrible and permanent action...well what else are they capable of? [and clearly in this man's case we know the answer to that!]

Sorry if all of this is uncomfortable for you. No need to lie/pretend to me, the forum, or to yourself that you would actually bend over backwards and be so accommodating as to employ someone who came to your office looking like that (were you in the position to do so). Because....you wouldn't. And neither would I nor anyone who posts here.

Last edited by mapmd; 01-04-2015 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,899,499 times
Oh boy. I'm not the PC police. I say what I mean. And your post did not read like you were hoping to elicit 'a couple chuckles' from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Oh!....buuuut I thought you said you didn't have a problem with it???
I said what I meant as far as employment. I wouldn't pretend for you. Judging someone on their job performance merits when appearance is irrelevant is hardly bending over backwards. I've been around tatted up and pierced folks throughout many different phases of my life. It's not my bag (I'm in a small minority of my friends, family, and co-workers who actually doesn't have ink and / or piercings) but it doesn't bother me.

A friend of mine has a fairly large tat of a black widow on his neck. It is to remind him of his past heroin addiction and how it's always right there. He's a VP at a large financial firm and an amazingly devoted father.

Sorry all of this is uncomfortable for you. Not everyone is like you. And for that you've made me grateful.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:51 AM

156 posts, read 156,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I showed my chick the pic of this guy and asked her if our Son came home looking like this someday would we still love him. Her answer was shocking. Without hesitation she said NO!
That's kind of messed up, though. Conditional love is never a good thing.

Not saying it would be wrong to ask him to move out or leave him with to the consequences of his own actions, but saying she'd never love him again for body mods seems like it's indicative of a serious issue.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,505,539 times
Brings the term stink eye to a whole new level.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,378,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Check this guy out. He even had the whites in one of his eyes tattooed. I didn't know you could do that.

'Eyeball' man sentenced for shooting officer
I looked at his picture with one eye closed. It somehow makes it look not as scary.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 AM

3,425 posts, read 3,243,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
That's kind of messed up, though. Conditional love is never a good thing.

Not saying it would be wrong to ask him to move out or leave him with to the consequences of his own actions, but saying she'd never love him again for body mods seems like it's indicative of a serious issue.
Well maybe it was a fast, emotional kind of reaction to a weird question. I mean, let's wait and see. If he actually got an eye-tatt (i-tatt?) not to mention all that other ink, and cultivated a gaunt, scary look guaranteed to scare away respectable girls, then Mom's going to be rather disapproving at the very least. To stop loving him... well that's not something we can will ourselves to do, unless we never loved them in the first place.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,196,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
He looks like a wonderful chap , I'd like to introduce him to my ex wife.

LOL A rep for you and can I have him next? I have a couple of people I'd like to introduce him to as well.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,946,432 times
I don't get it. So what if he looks weird? It doesn't seem like a big deal. Getting in a gunfight with cops seems like a much bigger deal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or