U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 AM

28,324 posts, read 43,680,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Right. Congrats for being a white guy. 9 times of 10, you will be on the right side of 'officer discretion' presuming you are 'respectful'.

The comically perverted system of "MAKE EVERYTHING ILLEGAL BUT OFFICER DISCRETION WILL SORT OUT THE GOOD FROM THE BAD" basically means that old white guys never get tickets for anything, while all black people not only get tickets but impounded cars, mugshots in the newspaper, etc, etc, etc.... over trivialities.

It comes as no shock to see some communities finally crossing the tipping point as far as the ridiculous police abuse that routinely occurs in this country considering that 'officer discretion' often hinges on the opinions of someone who not a month before graduating their 4 month 'police academy' was making Whoppers at Burger King.

Having black friends and hearing the stories- then, one time, seeing it for myself- is what changed my opinion on this from naive white guy who always got 'warnings' to a guy who realized that this entire apparatus of society known as 'law enforcement' is like a dog that no longer serves its master, only its own impulses, and its categorized entire large groups of people as enemies.

For whatever problems black culture has (and there are definitely some), for whatever disorder and annoyance those same dysfunctions cause, they don't scare me nearly as bad as the cultural corruption of many of our nations polce forces.
I'm not a white guy, lol... and I certainly don't think everything should be illegal, in fact I'd vote to legalize ALL drugs if given the chance. So please stop and re-read my post, as you completely missed the overall point.

I was merely saying that discretion has always, and should to some degree, be used by LE. But then I also said it's not always exercised equally - or randomly (without regard to demographics) - which is the underlying problem here. So basically you're preaching to the choir, as I fully understand and acknowledge these inequities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:04 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,049,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Wrong. What there should have been was a hail of machine gun fire into the wall of the 70 skells. All kill shots.
That would be a great way to start something really really bad. Lots of citizens own guns in FL, and most of them don't agree with marijuana being illegal or police gunning down 70 of their fellow citizens for non violently sticking up for a citizen smoking it.

There are a lot more armed citizens then there are police. If they really wanted to they could take out every single police officer before the national guard could even get here.

People shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:41 AM

5,314 posts, read 6,025,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That would be a great way to start something really really bad. Lots of citizens own guns in FL, and most of them don't agree with marijuana being illegal or police gunning down 70 of their fellow citizens for non violently sticking up for a citizen smoking it.

There are a lot more armed citizens then there are police. If they really wanted to they could take out every single police officer before the national guard could even get here.

People shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.
So, you didn't read the article.. good to know.

FYI - I did read the article. How are rocks, bricks, injuries, and broken windshields non-violent?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 16,698,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
All this outrage at police officers, and yet nobody is upset at the lawmakers who made pot illegal in the first place, and who continuously outlaw, restrict, and regulate anything and everything.

The only thing worse than a bad law is a bad law selectively enforced.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I really wish they didn't get violent..otherwise I would have totally supported them in forming a human shield to prevent someone from getting arrested for smoking some ****in' weed. He was just walking down the road smoking a joint. WHO. CARES. In Florida no less, where the majority of the citizens in November wanted to legalize the damn thing. Sucks they had to get violent.

This about sums up my thought, and getting violent is where they lose my support. However; it is time to end the damn war on weed once and for all, and legalize it already!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The only thing worse than a bad law is a bad law selectively enforced.
Wrong.

A bad law rigorously enforced is worse.
A politician responsible for a series of bad laws is even worse than that.
A tyrannical government hell-bent on controlling citizens' everyday lives is the worst of the whole lot.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM

4,446 posts, read 5,205,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this is not about police misconduct.
its a rebellion against current law and order. civilians and police being murdered to intimidate the populous.
civil rights progress is being set back 60 years.
these are not peaceful protests.
boko haram has come to america.
So, think before you/we vote next time.

The police are there to protect peaceful citizens from thugs who think they should be treated like some kind of royalty. Our tax dollars should be spent on worth while projects like education and health care, not wasted because spoiled thugs don't like being responsible for their own actions. Respect is earned.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,576,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't buy that. I think people are using the VERY few instances where police have gone overboard, and used that as an excuse to become animals. And the media is perpetuating the entire wave...
Don't be ridiculous. You're living in right wing denial land. You can watch HOURS of police brutality and malfeasance online. Imagine what doesn't get video recorded.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,025,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Don't be ridiculous. You're living in right wing denial land. You can watch HOURS of police brutality and malfeasance online. Imagine what doesn't get video recorded.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Thomas Jefferson
And, similarly, you can watch HOURS of "citizens" acting like animals. And, for the record, I am certainly not "right wing".

Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,052,692 times
I think the argument of whether or not we have Police corruption issues in this country has already been decided. The only one's who don't believe there's a problem tend to represent a specific demographic and are on the fringe on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or