Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree with you somewhat about Police doing their job. We disagree about discretion. There seems to be many people who feel the same way and are starting to get fed up.
The law is (or, at least should be) black and white. I disagree that we need more discretion on the police level. We need to change our laws, yes. But I don't agree that the police should decide whom to arrest, and whom not to, if there is evidence of a crime.

To address your bolded questions in the quote, I really don't know. Perhaps the consequences the criminals face aren't severe enough to deter them from committing crimes? Perhaps it's because the poverty level is increasing due to a variety of factors? Perhaps that's just the way our culture is devolving. It could be all or none of these things, but to hinder a person who is mandated to do a job is not the answer. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,711,310 times
There are more police killing unarmed people than there are unarmed people killing police.

Police have a license to severely beat & kill people for just about any reason. I hallucinated a gun so I killed them is forgiven. Non-violent cannabis users are the crooks, as they threaten corporate profits? I think cannabis should be legal. I think use should be mandatory for violent cops & violent protesters. It makes people non-violent if anything does.

96% of people on internet polls want cannabis legal. It would be a good anti-dote for the 85,000 toxins approved for our air, soil, food & water. Police say they are strongly opposed to something quite healthy, give lies or no reasons. The police & politicians can ignore 96% of those online, but should they really do that & if so why? Bribes & stealing may seem great, but does Civil War 2 sound good to most cops & pols?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't buy that. I think people are using the VERY few instances where police have gone overboard, and used that as an excuse to become animals. And the media is perpetuating the entire wave...

Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 PM

There are more police killing unarmed people than there are unarmed people killing police.

Police have a license to severely beat & kill people for just about any reason. I hallucinated a gun so I killed them is forgiven. Non-violent cannabis users are the crooks, as they threaten corporate profits? I think cannabis should be legal. I think use should be mandatory for violent cops & violent protesters. It makes people non-violent if anything does.

96% of people on internet polls want cannabis legal. It would be a good anti-dote for the 85,000 toxins approved for our air, soil, food & water. Police say they are strongly opposed to something quite healthy, give lies or no reasons. The police & politicians can ignore 96% of those online, but should they really do that & if so why? Bribes & stealing may seem great, but does Civil War 2 sound good to most cops & pols?

Quote:
I don't buy that. I think people are using the VERY few instances where police have gone overboard, and used that as an excuse to become animals. And the media is perpetuating the entire wave...

Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,312,198 times
Soooo my thing is....we built this human chain to keep the police from arresting you. Not only do you get arrested but you still dirty after all of that? I would have beat the crap out of him.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Under cannabis decrim, police can fine or look the other way, with some exceptions. States that don't have decrim, could be up to 100 years in prison. Supposedly, states could agree to have the Federal penalties or worse, but not a lesser penalty. So, states rights & not states rights both OK? Then why not states can have lesser penalties or no penalties? Our alcohol laws are part Federal, part state, part county, & part municipal. So is that a violation of the commerce clause if Feds don't get 100% say?

Quote:
Because, as of now, it is illegal there. One does not get to pick and choose which laws to obey. Well, actually, one CAN choose, but must accept the consequences of said choices..

Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 PM

Is beating the crap out of him a terroristic threat, or are you another police officer to whom the laws don't apply? Were you really part of the human chain, or just fantasizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Soooo my thing is....we built this human chain to keep the police from arresting you. Not only do you get arrested but you still dirty after all of that? I would have beat the crap out of him.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 PM

People who are using cannabis are no threat to you or anyone else. Dozens of millions of whites in US also use it & know this law penalizing the harmless is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Four arrested after police stop turns into melee in Delray Beach, police said - Sun Sentinel

Well, maybe we should just make it so that blacks cannot be arrested by the police when they are committing crimes?
I'm sure over time they will stop feeling "oppressed" and will start getting along swimmingly with everyone else.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,105,991 times
I think this incident counts as justifiable civil disobedience against the draconian marijuana laws. It's not morally right to lock up large numbers of people at great expense, just for using a mild intoxicant.

Most people didn't want a different set of laws for people of different races or ethnicities, even though it was legal 60 years ago ...... people had to break the law through civil disobedience to make it more of a headache than it was worth to keep the playing field slanted. Same with the Vietnam War, where civil disobedience was the only way to end a war that was only to the advantage of the military-industrial complex.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM

3,604 posts, read 4,447,100 times
Quote:
Because, as of now, it is illegal there. One does not get to pick and choose which laws to obey. Well, actually, one CAN choose, but must accept the consequences of said choices..
So that automatically makes it right? Unjust laws have to be changed somehow...and blindly obeying is not the answer. That being said...neither is throwing bricks at cops. Or whatever the thugs were doing. Human chain would have been great. But..of course they had to escalate to violence. Of course.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,080,046 times
Had they not gotten destructive about it, they could've had a legit impromptu protest going on. And I would support that 100%. But by getting violent, they ****ed everything right up and set things back even more for those of us who partake peacefully and responsibly.

Quote:
Quote:
You were definitely that kid who always reminded the teacher to give the class homework. ..weren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events