Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why? These are all minor earthquakes. KS, PA, IL, and OK had some too

Why? I'm not sure why they deny the earthquakes, but it's not like we are even talking about anything near a 6.0.

Richter Scale & Magnitude

http://www.sms-tsunami-warning.com/t...hter_scale.gif
http://www.sms-tsunami-warning.com/t...esentation.gif
My sil lives here. Her house is bigger than mine. She has to contually have the foundation shifted since we started having all these quakes. And something which makes doors not latch are NOT minor. They aren't Van Nuys, but they are something which is concerning.

California has had for years (since Long Beach) had higher standards for building. So these 'not major' quakes have enough effect to remind everyone that one day one will be the Big One, but just knock things off shelves. Most areas have not been shaken that much or that strongly as these quakes do, and they ARE causing damage to homes. And there are valid reasons why the frakers could well be causing them. And they don't want to take the chance to stop it for a long enough time to see either since they don't know either.

One of the places is near me. I HATE it. Its made my house worth less, and when they do their crap the whole ground feels like it jelly and gives a dizzying feeling. I don't believe these small waves it created do not damage things like plumming and foundations, and might trigger something bigger. Big oil does not want anyone to really investigate, and keeps saying there is no evidence. Areas where fraking is done should be able to say yes or no to them. They should be subject to a full and complete study not financed by oil companies before it can begun, and if the effects happen it should stop immediately.

People should have more rights than oil barons.

Remember in Battlestar Galactica, *frak* was a swear word. Still is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...83134100,d.eXY

While I realize some of you will question the source, Think Progress, if you bother to read the article it is bases on University of Miami, State of Ohio DNR and the Bulletin of Seismological Society of America studies. Yes it also concludes that being near a previous unknown fault was probably involved.

My brother has been drilling oil/gas wells, traditional and hydraulic wells for the last 30 yerts. He believes that fracking does cause quakes, although not the "big ones".
If it is stimulating a 'previously unknown fault' then it should be stopped immediately and forever. That someone who workes for an oil company and does drilling doesn't matter, since its their job AND they are not experts. Water has gotten worse and with an odd taste since the fraking as well and that should matter more too.

If a fault is involved and its being triggered and they don't deny it then they should accept the responsibility and STOP. Period.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The best, non-biased reports I have found suggest that fracking *might* be causing earthquakes. But no one can say for sure. Left wing blogs like Think Progress or Mother Jones are certainly going to sensationalize it.

Even if it turns out to be true, I'd rather have earthquakes than be fighting wars in the Middle East to defend the oil supplies!
Then let the companies stop fraking until there is a definitive answer. And I'd rather see people allowed to control the area they live over fraking. Saying stop until there is a definate NO is NOT sensationalizing it. It is taking proper caution. If they don't stop, then they should finance the repairs to houses, even old ones, who are damaged as an alternative for disregarding the potential safety of people.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
Fracking has been the cause of earthquakes. Ohio Earthquakes Linked To Fracking, A First For Region

Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
I'll let ya all in on a little secret..Earthquakes happen in EVERY state and have for some time..One of the biggest seismological events occurred in what is now NJ many many many years ago.....

And no it does not have anything to do with fracking.. If that was the case, then all of the earthquakes would trigger another earthquake.. and so on.. Also all the construction and quarry explosions would trigger them.... not to mention just the mere traffic on all the roads all the time...

Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
It is probably only a matter of time before a major fault line gets fracked and causes a major quake of 6.0 or greater.

No major fault line will ever be fractured.

Why not? Because there's no need to create a fracture where one already exists!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Because it has just started and this is what we're already seeing. Plus I'm no architect but I'd imagine constant tremors can't be good for infrastructure
Minor earthquakes in the Dallas area (as well as east Texas in general) haven't "just started." They have been going on long before any "fracking" activities. I'm not saying that fracking absolutely has not caused any earthquakes anywhere ever but minor earthquakes in northeast Texas are nothing new and predate any fracking activities.

Texas

Old 01-07-2015, 10:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not. In my brother's neighborhood several people have cracked pools.
Now this is an older neighborhood (late 80's) and the pools have all lasted this long with no problems.
Now with all these tremors and such the pools have cracked.

Folks also reporting foundation problems with homes on concrete slabs shifting.

My brother lives just east of Dallas.
I live in northeast Texas.

The area around Dallas has also been in a serious drought for several years. Clay soil wreaks havoc on foundations, pools, etc during droughts.

This has caused widespread problems for slab foundations as well as pools over the past couple of years.

I'm not saying that minor earthquakes haven't caused any problems but my point is that we shouldn't overlook KNOWN issues when it comes to foundations and pools and soil types and destructive weather patterns.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuwe09ew90ew09 View Post
Anyone who supports fracking is an evil brainless bigot. Fracking destroys people and the earth .
Well isn't that special.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 AM

23,468 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I'll let ya all in on a little secret..Earthquakes happen in EVERY state and have for some time..One of the biggest seismological events occurred in what is now NJ many many many years ago.....
Surprise - it's no secret that earthquakes naturally happen all over the world, and had done so since long before man showed up. The subject is not about natural earthquakes, but of fracking earthquakes ... even then it's not really the fracking that is looked at as the culprit of the earthquakes, but rather it's the disposing of the wastewater fluids, from the fracking process, into old underground injection wells. Those fluids create an enormous amount of pressure, and, if injected into an old injection well that is near a fault line could cause the fault line to slip which would create earthquakes.

Quote:
And no it does not have anything to do with fracking..
See above.

Quote:
If that was the case, then all of the earthquakes would trigger another earthquake.. and so on..
Yes, sometimes an earthquake can trigger another earthquake, and sometimes it doesn't. (not talking about aftershocks).

Quote:
Also all the construction and quarry explosions would trigger them.... not to mention just the mere traffic on all the roads all the time...
Gee, why didn't you include a little kid bouncing a nerf ball on the sidewalk in with those scenarios?
The average construction and traffic isn't going to cause the amount of high pressure that would cause fault line slippage like fluid disposal does. Quarry explosions may create pressure (and for all you know maybe it has at some point in time), or they may actually relieve pressure. Even the seismic waves that are created by the giant thumper trucks have a minimal risk in causing fault line slippage and creating earthquakes.

You're in CA right? Have they started fracking the Monterey Shale, and, been dumping the wastewater into the many hundreds (if not thousands) of abandoned injection wells yet? Or, maybe they will use the unregulated acid and steam jobs instead (yeah, good luck if they use those methods)

And don't think that CA is the earthquake capital of the US. That title now belongs to Oklahoma, which has more than double the earthquakes that CA has, and, has more seismic activity than any other continental state in the US. OK now also pumps more than a billion gallons of wastewater into old injection wells each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
No major fault line will ever be fractured.

Why not? Because there's no need to create a fracture where one already exists!
Wow.

The studies on fracking and dumping wastewater into old injection wells hasn't been going on but for a few years. Even so, so far the results of the studies do point at the wastewater and injection wells. Naturally the oil companies are denying it, after all, if it ends up proving without a doubt that is why there's been so many earthquakes, and earthquake swarms, in all of these states - what are the oil companies going to do with the mega gallons of wastewater each year that they would be stuck with

Wondering if some people are listening to the oil companies instead of the experts at the USGS and other experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events