U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 PM

5,201 posts, read 4,777,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's a map of seismic hazards present in the US:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/p...a2pct50yrs.pdf

Here is a map of fault lines in the US:

Interactive Fault Map

Please note that there's a fault/seismic hazard area that sits directly under Oklahoma. In fact, nearly the entire state is at an increased risk for earthquakes.

Here is a list of historic earthquakes in Kansas. Note that these predate any fracking activity.

Kansas

Here is a list of historic earthquakes in Oklahma. These also predate any fracking:

Oklahoma
Quote:
A new U.S. Geological Survey and Oklahoma Geological Survey analysis found that 145 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater occurred in Oklahoma from January 2014 (through May 2; see accompanying graphic). The previous annual record, set in 2013, was 109 earthquakes, while the long-term average earthquake rate, from 1978 to 2008, was just two magnitude 3.0 or larger earthquakes per year.
Quote:
USGS statistically analyzed the recent earthquake rate changes and found that they do not seem to be due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates. Significant changes in both the background rate of events and earthquake triggers needed to have occurred in order to explain the increases in seismicity, which is not typically observed when modeling natural earthquakes.

The analysis suggests that a likely contributing factor to the increase in earthquakes is triggering by wastewater injected into deep geologic formations. This phenomenon is known as injection-induced seismicity, which has been documented for nearly half a century, with new cases identified recently in Arkansas, Ohio, Texas and Colorado. A recent publication by the USGS suggests that a magnitude 5.0 foreshock to the 2011 Prague, Okla., earthquake was human-induced by fluid injection; that earthquake may have then triggered the mainshock and its aftershocks. OGS studies also indicate that some of the earthquakes in Oklahoma are due to fluid injection. The OGS and USGS continue to study the Prague earthquake sequence in relation to nearby injection activities.
Record Number of Oklahoma Tremors Raises Possibility of Damaging Earthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:12 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Fracking is only going to be banned in Liberal states.
A true shame -- because when the drinking water is corrupted in all the red fracking states, there will be a great "Larry the Cable Guy" diaspora. (And probably driving their monster "rolling coal" trucks to their new, blue neighborhoods.) After ruining their homes, they will move elsewhere and ruin those areas also.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:27 PM

325 posts, read 386,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
A true shame -- because when the drinking water is corrupted in all the red fracking states, there will be a great "Larry the Cable Guy" diaspora. (And probably driving their monster "rolling coal" trucks to their new, blue neighborhoods.) After ruining their homes, they will move elsewhere and ruin those areas also.
Well, the exact opposite is happening now, people can't flee blue areas fast enough? So maybe folks don't mind fracking so much?

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Fracking is only going to be banned in Liberal states. I do think that you can't deny the numbers of earthquakes it causes, just look at geological survey data for many midwestern states. I am not sure they cause MAJOR earthquakes, but the technology is still so new that we don't know that it wont eventually cause that. I do think it may be wise to try to find and alternative, because even the smaller earthquakes fracking causes can do damage.
Continued small quakes do cause damage to structures. If oil companies insist they must, then they should provide free and repeat fixes to homes and businesses caused by the quakes they trigger. Yes, small quakes DO cause damage. Any resident of an area with damage should have it paid for by the company with prompt repairs. See how happy they are then. And if like me there is one of their setups near where I have to see it, before one goes up every resident and business near should have veto power.

People can get rid of things business do in normal life. Oil companies should not have any privilidge.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Fracking is not new actually, we've been fracking since the 1940's.
It was used in Long Beach then. Land started to subside and buildings become unstable and it was stopped. It also never reached deep, but closer to the surface and was not the high pressure that the current form uses, nor the volume. I'm close to one of the current rigs, and you can feel the vibration in the ground through the foundation when they do their crap. It feels like your on a bed and someone is jumping on it. It's not just quakes and damaged foundations, but the way the water is getting worse.

It should be something the oil companies have to PROVE does not cause harm and open examination of research and the ability of any area to veto it at any time. They should not be allowed to break any ground until they have complete approval and shut down at any time the possibility of damage has occured.

People matter more than oil giants.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Well, the exact opposite is happening now, people can't flee blue areas fast enough? So maybe folks don't mind fracking so much?
It has nothing to do with fraking. It's costs and jobs and for some crowding. Lots of reasons, but I think a lot will care a LOT about fraking especially when they have to keep fixing the foundation and the water tastes funny.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:54 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,820,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
That's because I'm not a company man.

I'm an inhabitant on this planet who cares about my environment and I endeavor to be a responsible steward of it for myself, my family and friends, my fellow human beings, and all future generations, to the best of my ability.
Welcome to the club; we all fall into that category.

But if you want to debate O&G exploration & production, you'd best learn about it so that you're not making ridiculous arguments from a position of ignorance or based upon misinformation.

FYI, "the company man" is the operator's representative in the field - the one responsible for overseeing all aspects of a well, particularly during drilling. He even lives on location while the drilling rig is up.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:16 AM

11,970 posts, read 10,762,630 times
Let's shift the paradigm here for those of you who are able.

The earth is not owned by anyone. Just look around. It is exists is a universe so vast as to be in comprehensible to most people. It rotates through space and time at tremendous speed suspended as it is by an invisible force which is linked to the series of planets. That is the backdrop.

The earth is a sentient being. (In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care)

It has a history and life of it's own. As such it has, just as we do, a mission to survive and grow. All things grow here...and they thrive.

The problem - and it is a problem - is that most believe that we can do what we want to the planet. We are only now just beginning to see that we cannot, not without consequences. We may disagree, but consider that the response of the earth to our breaking down it's structure may not be predictable, pretty or preventable. The earthquakes to my thinking is like pricking a bear. It is unfortunate that modern science thinks that they can get away with that without suffering the consequences. The earth is a sentient being. Rare and beautiful.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM

4,093 posts, read 2,820,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Let's shift the paradigm here for those of you who are able.

The earth is not owned by anyone. Just look around. It is exists is a universe so vast as to be in comprehensible to most people. It rotates through space and time at tremendous speed suspended as it is by an invisible force which is linked to the series of planets. That is the backdrop.

The earth is a sentient being. (In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care)

It has a history and life of it's own. As such it has, just as we do, a mission to survive and grow. All things grow here...and they thrive.

The problem - and it is a problem - is that most believe that we can do what we want to the planet. We are only now just beginning to see that we cannot, not without consequences. We may disagree, but consider that the response of the earth to our breaking down it's structure may not be predictable, pretty or preventable. The earthquakes to my thinking is like pricking a bear. It is unfortunate that modern science thinks that they can get away with that without suffering the consequences. The earth is a sentient being. Rare and beautiful.
This person desperately needs to go to rehab. Like, yesterday.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:34 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,762,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This person desperately needs to go to rehab. Like, yesterday.
I just love the denial. Gotta be an engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events