U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:13 AM

11,992 posts, read 10,862,127 times

Advertisements

The earth is on it's own course. No person owns it. The worst, I am afraid is yet to come. If you have ever witnessed a tsunami or a volcanos devastation or a super storm like Sandy you might just want to pay attention. Imagine an 10magnitude quake in Tulsa. Will you pay attention then or just think that it was a coincidence.

People depend upon predictability. Nature is not. It will protect the earth. When they went to the makers of disaster movies they contemplated a 10 earthquake off the coast of Japan which killed hundreds of thousands and destroyed the nuclear power plants. The project was shelved as "unrealistic". Guess what happened. An entire area of a country poisoned by nuclear waste NEVER to return to use. Sea walls 30 feet high tossed around like legos. Japans food system in the water poisoned.

This is reality. Homes still are not rebuilt from Sandy. (This was all predicted)...And the big ones, the really massive disasters are just around the corner. The earth is a sentient being alive and beautiful and it is protecting itself.

Fracking? $$$...poking the bear is gong to cost lives, infrastructure and bedrock water contamination. Why; I do wonder do these people always make the wrong turn on the wrong road...every time.

Bewildering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM

5,469 posts, read 4,870,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hold up a minute.

For starters, that quake did occur ALONG AN EXISTING FAULT LINE. I'd say that's pretty pertinent to the whole scenario.

For that matter, the initial 5.0 tremor the previous day was also along that same pre existing fault line.
Exactly. When an injection well is 'no where near' a fault line, then there are no earthquakes when wastewater is forced into that injection well.
When the wastewater was put into the injection well along that fault it triggered the 5.0, which they believe that 5.0 triggered the 5.7 - which is why I said the 5.7 wasn't directly caused from the wastewater injection, but it was created by an indirect cause from that injection. (created by the 5.0, which was created by the injection)

Quote:
"Fracking" and wastewater injection are not the same process - at all. So let's get that straight right now and quit using the terms interchangeably.
Yep, I'd already mentioned in this thread that wastewater injection is the cause, not the fracking (which are two separate things) - I simply put it as fracking/wastewater injection since so many on here continue to use the term fracking.

Quote:
As I've already stated, I do believe that geological formations and existing fault lines should be carefully considered before an area is subjected to hydraulic fracturing or wastewater injection. Or mining, or any other number of industries.
Completely agree with that.

Last edited by berdee; 01-14-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM

37,096 posts, read 38,687,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
This is reality. Homes still are not rebuilt from Sandy. (This was all predicted)...And the big ones, the really massive disasters are just around the corner. The earth is a sentient being alive and beautiful and it is protecting itself.
What was the earth protecting when two similar storms hit the same area 2 years apart in the 1600's? The earth must of been really angry to do it twice.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 AM

We just don't know....do we?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What was the earth protecting when two similar storms hit the same area 2 years apart in the 1600's? The earth must of been really angry to do it twice.
I cannot disagree with you other than to say the earth operates on a whole different relevance than we do. It has been around much longer that WE, and it's ways are hard to understand. We tend to try to put our rational minds to work and while I cannot disagree with you in kind, I can say that in the past ten years the predicted outcomes of warming (and now fracking) are just beginning to be understood. To get a glimpse...think of the weight of the earth, - the whole ball -,suspended in space by an unseen force and you can get an idea of how difficult it is to comprehend the forces at play.

When I toured Mt. St Helens after the eruption, we took off 50 miles from the rim. At 40 miles (40 MILES) trees were knocked down like toothpicks - thousands of them. I can no more conceive of that force any more than anyone else, but it happened.

Predicted Katrina...far worse

Feared Sandy....utter devastation.

Tsunami 2004 2010 350,000 dead an ecosystem in ruins.

I can't explain it to you but those events have occurred in rapid succession. We tend to think that we can predict. Let's admit to ourselves that we simply cannot see it coming.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,026,636 times
Default There are huge revolts all over to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
So I'm a bit concerned about some friends who moved out to Dallas, Texas...they've seen a huge increase in earthquakes since fracking began. 4 yesterday and another this morning. Have corporate apologists come to their senses about the dangers of fracking yet? I can't believe there's not a revolt against it.
Many are against it. Kids are getting sick in some areas, communities are fighting them left and right and the corporations are trying to shove them down their throats.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:41 AM

37,096 posts, read 38,687,506 times
Quote:
Predicted Katrina...far worse

Feared Sandy....utter devastation.

Tsunami 2004 2010 350,000 dead an ecosystem in ruins.

I can't explain it to you but those events have occurred in rapid succession. We tend to think that we can predict. Let's admit to ourselves that we simply cannot see it coming.
Events like these have been going on forever. Krakatoa, Pompei, Lisbon...... the list is endless. The big difference now is twofold, A)larger concentrations of populations and B)media reporting it sensationalistically.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Events like these have been going on forever. Krakatoa, Pompei, Lisbon...... the list is endless. The big difference now is twofold, A)larger concentrations of populations and B)media reporting it sensationalistically.
All of the ones I listed happened within 10 years. Add that to the equation.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 2,867,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Oh please. You work in the midstream sector driving truck, not in the E&P upstream sector. I'm in no way belittling your job since it is often a hard and hazardous job, but E&P it's not.
You assume I have always gathered crude, but that has not always been the case. When on location (drilling rig, frac/coil tubing, workover rig, and flowback) all day, who better to learn from than the guys in the data van and the company rep?

My point in the previous post was that, unlike the other poster, I was repeating factual information from my own experiences as well that which I have learned from others who shared their firsthand knowledge with me. Who knows where the other poster got his/her info and what filters it has been run through.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:23 AM

3,479 posts, read 3,286,391 times
Quote:

Fracking? $$$...poking the bear is gong to cost lives, infrastructure and bedrock water contamination. Why; I do wonder do these people always make the wrong turn on the wrong road...every time.

Bewildering.
Actually, fracking is like "burping" the Earth. It feels good. The earth likes it. These little tremors are expressions of pleasure. Love quakes.

Don't worry; fracking is a good thing and will help us all in the long run: more jobs, more prosperity, less war. What's not to love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events