Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I just love the denial. Gotta be an engineer.
Nope, I actually work in the oilfield - that's how I know WTF I'm talking about when it comes to oil & gas E&P.

Since we're speculating about occupations, and given that you posted something as absurd as "the Earth is a sentient being," I'm guessing that you are a serial participant in clinical trials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Nope, I actually work in the oilfield - that's how I know WTF I'm talking about when it comes to oil & gas E&P.

Since we're speculating about occupations, and given that you posted something as absurd as "the Earth is a sentient being," I'm guessing that you are a serial participant in clinical trials.
You have no idea what reality is my greasy friend. Insinuating that someone who is smarter than you is "crazy" is typical high school bullying behavior.

But, that is not unusual.

People don't even know the speed of our planet in space. They are not aware of the theories about how the earth responds to our effects. They just want their dinner. Like yourself billions of people are far to busy to worry about the cause and effect of fracking (great name for it btw) or the earth warming or anything which actually is happening. They just want to watch TV. The only reason I challenge you (and others) is to perhaps get one person to look around at the idea that the earth responds to our input...You know, cause and effect?

You won't get it but someone else might. Nothing personal, but your anger is just the beginning of the awareness. Listen to the stars oil man.

Last edited by AADAD; 01-14-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 AM

In case you missed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/us...T.nav=top-news

"In Oklahoma, for example, quakes have increased sharply in recent years, including the state’s largest ever, a magnitude 5.7 tremor, in 2011. Both state and federal experts have said fracking is contributing to the increase there, not only because of the fracking itself, but also because of the proliferation of related wells into which fracking waste is injected. Those injection wells receive much more waste, and are filled under high pressure more often, than oil or gas wells, and the sheer volume of pressurized liquids has been shown to widen cracks in faults, raising the chances of slippage and earthquakes."

Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 AM

23,547 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Oh please. You work in the midstream sector driving truck, not in the E&P upstream sector. I'm in no way belittling your job since it is often a hard and hazardous job, but E&P it's not.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
In case you missed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/us...T.nav=top-news

"In Oklahoma, for example, quakes have increased sharply in recent years, including the state’s largest ever, a magnitude 5.7 tremor, in 2011. Both state and federal experts have said fracking is contributing to the increase there, not only because of the fracking itself, but also because of the proliferation of related wells into which fracking waste is injected. Those injection wells receive much more waste, and are filled under high pressure more often, than oil or gas wells, and the sheer volume of pressurized liquids has been shown to widen cracks in faults, raising the chances of slippage and earthquakes."
Your insinuation is that the 2011 earthquake was caused by fracking. Actually the 5.7 earthquake in 2011 was along an existing fault line, the Wilzetta fault. In fact, seismologists with the USGS have specifically stated that that particular earthquake was NOT caused by fracking.

Oklahoma Earthquakes Stronger Than Fracking Tremors, Experts Say

I do believe that in SOME soil types and formations, fracking CAN cause very minor tremors. Soil and earth formation types should be closely examined before any well fracturing is commenced. But understand that I live in an area which has been "fracked" for thirty years - with no ill effects, no earthquakes, no problems whatsoever. So I don't just automatically assume that earthquakes are caused by well fracturing. My first step is to go immediately to the USGS website and look up the history of an area as well as the documented fault lines. Most of the time this research shows that there are existing fault lines and a history of quakes in the area in question.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 AM

Well the pros say that the quake is caused by fracking. It's not an insinuation in the least. It's their facts. Go argue with them.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Fracking is amazing - the topic of fracking if anyone digs just a little will reveal a world which most people cannot believe actually exists. It truly will awaken you when you start researching the topic and start using alternative news sites (vs the major media outlets).

To summarize, you cannot fathom the money the Oil companies have, and the money that executives earn in this industry! The industry has too much money (trillions and trillions!) to not be pulling the strings of all the world's major governments and media outlets at will. Fracking has so much money behind it that of course politicians and farmers are bought off to allow it to continue. Everyone has a price, and because most of us cannot fathom how much we are actually worth (and never realize it), our price is minuscule compared to what the Oil companies offer (think about how life changing 1 million dollars would be for most of our families!).

I have an older friend who's father and uncle founded a propane business in the midwest... and just a few years ago he sold his business for $66 million dollars + a full time paid position as an Exec at his bought out company until he felt like retiring. That was nothing to the conglomerate that bought his company but it was certainly life changing for my friend. For $66 million dollars, he gave up the decision-making and direction-choosing future of his family's company (and in my opinion he most significantly lost the ability to pass on the company to his children and grand children). Did he care? Nope, not at all, it was more money than he had ever imagined earning in a lifetime, and so he took the deal. Fracking is just like this folks. There is such big money involved that most people's morals are tested (and they fail) and the only way to stop the momentum of fracking destroying the lands we all live on and the water supply we all need is to band together and resist the temptations of an easy and unexpected buck. We need to treat our land and water as sacred and pass on these ideals to our children lest Corporate and Individual Greed will destroy everything.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Well the pros say that the quake is caused by fracking. It's not an insinuation in the least. It's their facts. Go argue with them.
The "pros" at the USGS say otherwise. I posted the source - which is more than you've done.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 AM

23,547 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The "pros" at the USGS say otherwise. I posted the source - which is more than you've done.
It doesn't appear that the 5.7 earthquake was directly caused by fracking/wastewater injection, but it does appear that it had been indirectly caused by the fracking/wastewater injection. If not for the 5.0 foreshock the day before, which was caused by fracking/wastewater injection, then the 5.7 may not have happened
Quote:
A study by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) associates a 5.7-magnitude earthquake in Oklahoma—the most powerful in the state’s history—with the practice of injecting wastewater from fracking into the earth’s crust.

The quake occurred on November 6, 2011, near Prague, Oklahoma. USGS scientists say it may have happened as a result of a 5.0-magnitude foreshock that happened on November 5 near some wastewater injection wells. The 5.0 quake increased stress at the site of the next day’s 5.7 quake.

“The observation that a human-induced earthquake can trigger a cascade of earthquakes, including a larger one, has important implications for reducing the seismic risk from wastewater injection,” said USGS seismologist and co-author of the study Elizabeth Cochran.
Controversies - U.S. Geological Survey Calls Oklahoma Quake the Largest

Quote:
One of Oklahoma's biggest man-made earthquakes, caused by fracking-linked wastewater injection, triggered an earthquake cascade that led to the damaging magnitude-5.7 Prague quake that struck on Nov. 6, 2011, a new study confirms.
Wastewater Injection Triggered Oklahoma's Earthquake Cascade

(edited to add - the experts have been continuing to study the issue ... the article that you had posted was first published in 11/11 and updated 1/12 .. the articles I linked were both published in 3/2014)

Last edited by berdee; 01-14-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
It doesn't appear that the 5.7 earthquake was directly caused by fracking/wastewater injection, but it does appear that it had been indirectly caused by the fracking/wastewater injection. If not for the 5.0 foreshock the day before, which was caused by fracking/wastewater injection, then the 5.7 may not have happened
Controversies - U.S. Geological Survey Calls Oklahoma Quake the Largest

Wastewater Injection Triggered Oklahoma's Earthquake Cascade
Hold up a minute.

For starters, that quake did occur ALONG AN EXISTING FAULT LINE. I'd say that's pretty pertinent to the whole scenario.

For that matter, the initial 5.0 tremor the previous day was also along that same pre existing fault line.

I've already posted the links from the USGS showing that ancient fault line so forgive me for not looking it up again and posting it.

From one of your articles:

Quote:
The 2011 quakes struck along the Wilzetta fault, a fault zone near Prague...Each of the three biggest quakes tore apart a different part of the Wilzetta fault, the researchers said.
A link within the article, used as a source, actually says this:

Quote:
The wastewater was from traditional drilling, not the controversial hydraulic fracturing method...Though the process that caused the Oklahoma earthquake didn't involve hydraulic fracturing, fracking often involves injecting spent water into the ground, which carries the same risks.
Oil Extraction Causes Biggest Recorded Earthquake in Oklahoma

"Fracking" and wastewater injection are not the same process - at all. So let's get that straight right now and quit using the terms interchangeably.

The article also states this:

Quote:
Whether or not an area is prone to such tremblers depends on the permeability of the local rock: If water can't seep through the rock easily, meaning it's not very permeable, pressure builds up and makes an earthquake more likely. Earthquake risk also depends on the presence and angle of faults in relation to the water-injection site.
As I've already stated, I do believe that geological formations and existing fault lines should be carefully considered before an area is subjected to hydraulic fracturing or wastewater injection. Or mining, or any other number of industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events