U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:46 PM

152 posts, read 105,364 times

Advertisements

This has been taking place for years!
Kids misbehaving at the mall is nothing new...but the use or misuse of social networking has led to a huge uptick in the amount of these unruly ghetto trash incidents.

Quote:
It was a spasm of violence that stunned residents: some 200 black youths raising hell - what police called a full-blown riot - in Austin, Texas.

Angry black youths inexplicably converged by the Highland Mall, near an iconic haunted house attraction, and walked atop parked cars, fought among themselves, and hurled rocks at some 30 arriving police officers. Several people, including one officer, suffered minor injuries. Later, police said so many squad cars were need that the department was unable to provide adequate 911 emergency coverage to the rest of Austin.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...tin_texas.html
It was a riot, all right. But, not 'inexplicable.'
Every year at that time the 'Texas Relays' meet occurs in Austin.
Hanging out at Highland Mall was called Mardi Gras-Lite!
With young black thugs showing off their rims, etc.

The mall 'deserted' shortly after and was bought by the
city to house a new ACC campus. Good luck with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 04:54 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,575,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't buy that. While there were no malls around to hang out in when I was growing up in Chicago, my parents both worked and so did many of my friends' parents. We didn't get into fights in public places or private ones for that matter. Are there statistics you can provide that show the vast majority of mall fights and the cause and effect in relation to working parents?

I mean, if one or the other parent were home, what would there be to stop the kid from going to the mall and getting into trouble after school regardless of who was at home? Is the stay at home parent supposed to sit on the kid and watch him/her to make sure he/she doesn't got to the mall and start a fight?

I don't think that's my answer. I think plenty of teens with working parents go to the mall and behave themselves just fine.
I'm not talking about leaving kids home alone/working parents. I think you saw the word "work" in my post and didn't understand the point I was making....I meant the "work" of mom and dad creating messed up kids, ie their "job" as parents. Kids are being brought up in certain cases not to respect this or that, parents are not disciplining their kids/teaching them wrong from right, etc or come from more broken homes and this is all the teachings and decision moms and dads make, or in some cases, single parent households.

Here's some eye opening broken family/divorce stats/single family homes that have been known for a long time that can lead to what you're seeing in this mall situation:

Children from broken homes are five times more likely to suffer mental troubles, says Government study | Daily Mail Online

And yes, plenty of kids do behave well but their seems to be a trend toward parents these days treating their kids like they can do no wrong, yell at teachers for failing them, their kids great at everything, etc. And entitled people act entitled without much care for those around them.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 PM

20,865 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I'm not talking about leaving kids home alone/working parents. I think you saw the word "work" in my post and didn't understand the point I was making....I meant the "work" of mom and dad creating messed up kids, ie their "job" as parents. Kids are being brought up in certain cases not to respect this or that, parents are not disciplining their kids/teaching them wrong from right, etc or come from more broken homes and this is all the teachings and decision moms and dads make, or in some cases, single parent households.

Here's some eye opening broken family/divorce stats/single family homes that have been known for a long time that can lead to what you're seeing in this mall situation:

Children from broken homes are five times more likely to suffer mental troubles, says Government study | Daily Mail Online

And yes, plenty of kids do behave well but their seems to be a trend toward parents these days treating their kids like they can do no wrong, yell at teachers for failing them, their kids great at everything, etc. And entitled people act entitled without much care for those around them.
Yes, I did think you meant work in the sense of jobs. I see your point now and I agree.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:25 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,720,491 times
Isn't that ageist?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM

977 posts, read 817,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
One of our malls has a 6pm curfew for those 17 and under, I love it. It makes for a much more pleasant shopping experience.
Its nice, isn't it?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM

44,580 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Instead of banning teenagers, why not just lock up the persons who keep causing violence?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Referring to poverty in white Appalachia, and drug abuse, is just a liberal ploy to be politically correct and avoid speaking the truth, as usual.....and this is Just my opinion and my view,...but I agree with the ban, anytime you get a large group of African American teenagers, strolling around, there is the greater risk that they will wreak some type of havoc possibly, not saying every time, or only them....but most likely them...... be it a mall, or a park, and wherever......just my opinion and my view....so bans are necessary as a result....
So you believe a ban on African-Americans would be a good idea?

Old 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM

240 posts, read 196,952 times
The teens should stay home and read a book.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,167,820 times
I don't go to malls much any more but my favorite time to go is when school is in session. So much more peaceful then.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 PM

Banning teenagers would be bad for the ones who actually don't cause problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or