U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM

6,519 posts, read 8,605,050 times

Advertisements

Since most of those kids don't own a car, don't have a drivers license, how are they getting to the mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM

3,402 posts, read 928,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Since most of those kids don't own a car, don't have a drivers license, how are they getting to the mall?
From my observations, they just ride with someone who does have a license and a car. Even if you only know 20 or so people in high school at least one of them is bound to have a car. Parents also just drop their teens there and come back to get them in a few hours.

Even if none of them are options, the mall here is only a good 20-25 minute walk from the high school, even less than that if they bike there using the nearby trail.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,312,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
If teens are not doing anything wrong, I don't see why banning them is a bad idea? I am not for banning teenagers from congregating and hanging out with their friends, boy/girlfriends at the mall. Malls are a great place to hang, you can eat something, shop and look at stores, watch a movie.
I have a teenage son. Can't go to the mall; can't go downtown; can't hang out in the park;can't congregate on the street corners. At the risk of sounding like the proverbial old fogie when I was a teenager I would hang out in the town center with friends in front of the local variety store, frolic around and then get in cars and go driving around. Now that activity will get you arrested and a police record.

Maybe teenagers now spend so much time on the computer because they have no place to go. Go to school, do homework, go on computer. Is that the teenage routine these days? Teenagers do not seem to go out as much as they used to. We live in a world of little tolerance and that is not necessarily a good thing.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 PM

10,053 posts, read 6,999,787 times
Teens are a disgrace.

Glad I never was one.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Teens are a disgrace.

Glad I never was one.
Yes you were ,I think the ban is silly

Old 01-07-2015, 09:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,514,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I think we should put them on an island, Lord of the Flies, style when they are 10 . . .
Make them suffer hard labor and humiliation hours and hours a day, until they are 18.
Then, at 18, give them sort of a limited parole back into humanity as a test period. If they comport themselves sanely, civilly and respectfully, they will be allowed to move back into society. If not, back to the 'reeducation' island until they get it.
LOL, I know you're being facetious but you touch on a nugget of wisdom, which is, our society's lack of a formal 'rite of passage / adventure' to enhance learning and acceptance and expectations of proper behavior. A good read would be former New York State teacher of the year, John Taylor Gatto's book on the education system and some of the unorthodox teaching methods he implemented - when he had the ability to customize learning for his students.

Basically, it involved finding something of interest to the individual child and giving them a challenge they could accomplish, but which many professional educators would balk at. I bring up the 'rite of passage' concept because when you examine USA society in particular, and the current acculturation process, there are no rites of passage - outside of learning to ride a bicycle - that are not potentially destructive if not presented with educational forethought (sex, alcohol, drugs, driving an auto etc..). Having some urban 'outward bound' type programs with expected achievement and behaviors would likely help keep the problems of 'teens' interacting in public down.

As for the malls banning teens - I think the problem amplified within the past 25-30 years with the growth in absentee parenting. The 'drop the kids off at mall' and let the feral children roam mentality. I know my generation of teen peers some late 70s early 80s would hang at mall if they lived near, but none that I knew of ever wantonly engaged in destructive or anti social behaviors. It seems the defacto feral "children of children" types which are causing the problem. We did have fun in the large local theater before the multiplexes spread. Most of the time groups of us would play predominantly outside or in inclement weather at a friends house in basement.

I recall the description a comedian gave a few decades ago about his observing the occupants hanging out at the mall - and it's been my observation as well. He said a significant amount appeared to be dropped off via the bus load as part of the 'Jerry Springer show guest release program'.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,886,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
They go with mom, split up at the door.

In the case of the thugs at the Dayton Mall they take the bus, that is why the Fairfield Commons Mall did not want a RTA line going there.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:41 PM

539 posts, read 377,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
LOL, I know you're being facetious but you touch on a nugget of wisdom, which is, our society's lack of a formal 'rite of passage / adventure' to enhance learning and acceptance and expectations of proper behavior. A good read would be former New York State teacher of the year, John Taylor Gatto's book on the education system and some of the unorthodox teaching methods he implemented - when he had the ability to customize learning for his students.

Basically, it involved finding something of interest to the individual child and giving them a challenge they could accomplish, but which many professional educators would balk at. I bring up the 'rite of passage' concept because when you examine USA society in particular, and the current acculturation process, there are no rites of passage - outside of learning to ride a bicycle - that are not potentially destructive if not presented with educational forethought (sex, alcohol, drugs, driving an auto etc..). Having some urban 'outward bound' type programs with expected achievement and behaviors would likely help keep the problems of 'teens' interacting in public down.

As for the malls banning teens - I think the problem amplified within the past 25-30 years with the growth in absentee parenting. The 'drop the kids off at mall' and let the feral children roam mentality. I know my generation of teen peers some late 70s early 80s would hang at mall if they lived near, but none that I knew of ever wantonly engaged in destructive or anti social behaviors. It seems the defacto feral "children of children" types which are causing the problem. We did have fun in the large local theater before the multiplexes spread. Most of the time groups of us would play predominantly outside or in inclement weather at a friends house in basement.

I recall the description a comedian gave a few decades ago about his observing the occupants hanging out at the mall - and it's been my observation as well. He said a significant amount appeared to be dropped off via the bus load as part of the 'Jerry Springer show guest release program'.
Great point with the rite of passages. How about we give these kids something and somewhere to go rather than the damn malls?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,437,419 times
The reason we have these little thugs running around is either they have parents who are the same way..or they have parents who are afraid to do anything because nowadays it is considered child abuse if you discipline your kids...

This almost never happened when I was a kid... Parents or even any adult would beat your ass...

Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 PM

20,869 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Remember the show "Happy Days?" The kids all hung out at "Arnold's" the drive in restaurant after school. I remember on the "Mickey Mouse Club" of the fifties, Annette and her friends hung out at the malt shop. I know that was just TV but teens always liked to hang out together so there is probably some truth to it.

I think I vaguely remember places like the YMCA or various Community Centers in my city that had programs for teens like sports or music back in the olden days. I know the park district had programs for grammar school kids. I used to go to those after school. I don't know if today's teens would like things like that though. They couldn't take their IPhones with them to an organized activity like they can to a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or