U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM

3,680 posts, read 3,261,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Stupid Yahoo News. Using a stock photo of an interracial group of smiling middle-class girls. The problem is Thug Culture, not middle-class girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM

1,686 posts, read 921,782 times
Mall management can't ban the subset of teens responsible for the majority of the problems so they need to ban all teens. Similarly, we know who really needs the extra TSA treatment and who doesn't, but we all need to play the role of tacit suspect.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 PM

30,520 posts, read 9,123,268 times
They're not "banning" teens at malls here per se, but mall management does require that those under a certain age be accompanied by an adult after a certain hour.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,936,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
We need to stop using the word "teen" I think trash, thugs etc are more fitting
Gee, how did you escape managing to be one? I wish I had been able to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Love the pictures as if it somehow relates to those in question lol
In fact it does. The trouble in malls is largely caused by boys. One of the primary reasons they go to the mall is to see girls and show off for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I always thought Chipotle played their bad music so atrociously loud for the explicit purpose of making the environment hostile for lingering. I mostly hung out in coffee shops.
You might not like Chipotle's music; it's your right to have your own taste. But it's not "bad" to anyone who knows anything about music other than the narrow narrow hit list radio adheres to. Chipotle changes its music program, which is eclectic and sophisticated, on about a semi-weekly basis. They play about one recognizable classic for every nine songs that are by a wide variety of groups who get no radio play. It's an international list, too. Some of the songs are not even in English. Broadening our horizons ... what a concept! As for it being too loud for you, go to the counter and ask them to turn it down. I'm one of the people who goes to the counter and asks them to turn it up and they always have complied when it was very quiet. You might not like Chipotle's music but one of the primary reasons I eat there instead of getting take out is to listen to the music. I've found a lot of new music to add to my collection from things I heard first at Chipotle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm not that familiar with how much teens spend and shop on their own, but won't banning middle class teenagers hurt business?

I really do not know, but is it black teens specifically that are causing these problems? That's been the case in place this has occurred that I am most familiar with, the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. I'm genuinely curious if non-black kids are doing this. Recently in the Kansas City area there was another similar issue at an indoor mall, Independence Center in Independence, MO, and race was not mentioned, nor could I find any pictures of the situation.
This is not a race issue. It's a behavior issue. In neighborhoods where indoor malls are located, most of the teens hanging out reflect the racial balance of the surrounding area. Have you ever heard of flash mobs? If not, Google it. That's how the large groups are assembled. But the kind of trouble that can cause curfews often doesn't need a huge mob. The trouble is caused by teens who have been unsupervised most of their lives and who suffer from narcissism and impulse control. These kids will cause trouble wherever they go. Many of them have already been kicked out of school, many are unwanted in their own homes. Our society fails to address these issues until they reach the criminal level, so the trouble is always going to erupt somewhere. It's in indoor malls in the winter; in the summer it will be in public parks or the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
According to no end of studies and articles, black parents are more likely to use physical discipline than any other group.

Corporal punishment rates higher in Black community In America - CNN.com Blogs

Since it appears from the various videos that the troublemaking teens are mostly black, I'd guess that most of them have had their butt beat.

The strange thing is that when you hit kids, they tend to hit others. Go figure.
On a nationwide basis, the trouble-making teens in malls are NOT majority black but you do, indeed, make a very good point that corporal punishment is not the answer to instilling good behavior and discipline in children. People who were beaten as children learn that as a response to their own anger when they grow up. Children imitate adults; physical violence breeds physical violence.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:50 PM

33,166 posts, read 39,145,829 times
Teens represent a huge spending demographic, business must be good if a mall can ban this segment of society.
Teenage Consumer Spending Statistics | Statistic Brain

Old 01-08-2015, 02:01 PM

20,887 posts, read 22,478,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I see your location says Cleveland Heights. Look what happened to Randall Park Mall. I drive past it every day, when I take my wife to work, and what was once a thriving, beautiful mall has become an an eyesore due to the riff raff that scared people away! They are finally demolishing it!
I just moved to Cleveland so I don't know Randall Park Mall history but on the Cleveland forum people were posting it's been an eyesore for years and was decaying. Would that be due to the surrounding area?

When I moved to Portland back in the late 70's The Lloyd Center was in terrible shape. Gangs ruled. Then in the late 80's it was renovated from an outdoor to an indoor one and although it was still the site of some gang violence it was much improved. It maintained a bad reputation in many people's eyes though much of it because of Holladay Park across the street where gangs hung out until around the late 90's when the city pretty much cracked down on them.

Even in recent times I would hear people I worked with say they wouldn't shop there because they thought it wasn't safe. I always did though. I was sad to hear that Nordstroms was leaving even though I could never afford their prices. The area around the mall is becoming gentrified at least parts that have not already been and that may help but they will have to convince people that the mall is perfectly safe and will have to find a really great anchor store to replace Nordie's.

I think the solution is a lot of good, well placed security people walking the mall on foot to protect shoppers from thugs whether they are teens or any age. Rather than singling out one group to ban, everyone should be welcome as long as they behave.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM

10,866 posts, read 18,930,000 times
Quote:

I think the solution is a lot of good, well placed security people walking the mall on foot to protect shoppers from thugs whether they are teens or any age. Rather than singling out one group to ban, everyone should be welcome as long as they behave.
One mall here got so bad that they put a police substation inside the mall. After that, the mall was like a ghost town for 5 years, and then it went out of business.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,824,378 times
So a mall that has a lot of shoplifters should just ban everybody. How would you guys feel if teens complained about adults in a mall and they banned you. All I'm saying is be fair. And you guys need to stop being controlled by the media. Seriously, it's like everybody's scared of everything these days.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,110,600 times
If a certain race, gender, orientation or religious group was banned from a shopping area everyone would freak out. If the elderly were banned the same thing would happen. However, when there is blatant discrimination against teenagers nobody cares. This is a bs double standard. (And no, I'm not a teen, I'm in my 20's)

Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 PM

72,873 posts, read 64,312,187 times
Quote:
Is hanging out in malls more of a suburban thing? I know I am talking about the dinosaur era, but when I was a teen back in the 60's, I lived in Chicago where there were no malls in the inner city. My friends and I hung out at each others houses after school or went home because there were no other places for us to go. Sometimes there were great after school activities at our schools. A lot of us had jobs to go to.

That's why this is kind of foreign to me and I am asking about it. My suburbanite sister and BIL who raised my two nieces are both in now in their mid twenties tell me that the mall is just the place for kids to be and has been for a very long time. But to socialize and not to stage fights in.

I can see where malls would be attractive places to hang out if there is nothing else to do.
I take your point; why is there nothing else for them to do? Skateboarding, biking, hanging around playing guitar or drumming at someone's house, for the musically-inclined, goofing around on youtube together, whatever happened to playing video games? Organizing a music group, working on an art mural, experimenting with photography and developing one's photos in someone's darkroom. or building a darkroom together, volunteering somewhere, playing basketball. Have a lot of teens lost the ability to come up with their own projects and pastimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or