Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Boy am I glad I don't live where you live.
I will agree, there isn't much for those teens to do here. Everything is either too expensive or too far from the school for them. Glen Burnie is a "working class neighborhood", so places like Chipotle look to other neighborhoods further south.

Most teens I've seen at the local mall (Marley Station) are fairly well behaved, but it is somewhat of a repository for the mall rats around here. Glen Burnie mall is almost dead, and Arundel Mills and Annapolis are too upscale for most teens to spend large amounts of time or money there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 04:14 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Where are the parents in kicking these kids a**es for when they get out of line?! I was a teen once too, and I wasn't exactly a saint either, but I knew damn well my parents would kick the crap out of me if I would have partook in some of what these teens are doing today.
Exactly. We weren't perfect back in the Dark Ages, but my mother believed in discipline. My sister and I behaved or there would be heck to pay. So guess what? Behaving was a much better option than dealing with our mother's wrath

Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
If teens are not doing anything wrong, I don't see why banning them is a bad idea? I am not for banning teenagers from congregating and hanging out with their friends, boy/girlfriends at the mall. Malls are a great place to hang, you can eat something, shop and look at stores, watch a movie.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
If teens are not doing anything wrong, I don't see why banning them is a bad idea? I am not for banning teenagers from congregating and hanging out with their friends, boy/girlfriends at the mall. Malls are a great place to hang, you can eat something, shop and look at stores, watch a movie.
I think what's happened is there's been too many instances of late where large groups of teens have been causing trouble at malls. If the mall gains the reputation of being unsafe, they will lose too much business. Unless the bulk of their revenue comes from teen shoppers, the move makes a lot of sense. I agree it does suck for the kids who aren't doing anything wrong.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:10 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
When I was hanging around malls (ten years ago or so) the mall security used to give us a ton of **** for pretty much hanging around not causing trouble. Of course after they hassled us for doing the same thing every old person does, we would then start some trouble.

These towns are at fault more than anything. How bout opening up some activities for kids in their young teens to hang out away from their parents. Make these places productive and fun.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I agree with this policy. Anyone under 16 should be doing homework.
Yeah because sitting around doing homework all day is how you make well rounded adults...(sarcasm if you don't understand that)

Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
A lot of malls are shut down or close to it, when I was a teenager we went to the malls all the time, it was a good place to meet girls.

At the Dayton Mall there are a lot of thugs hanging out there causing trouble, they should be thrown out as opposed to punishing all teenagers, a lot of whom are well behaved. Recently a thug named Jawaad tried to rob someone at gun point of their air Jordan's at the Dayton Mall, he wound up shot and killed by the man he tried to rob, there were a lot of people who knew this kid making him out to be a saint on the news. Ban troublemakers, not teens.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:39 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I agree with this policy. Anyone under 16 should be doing homework.
And don't forget staying off your grass!!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
I think we should put them on an island, Lord of the Flies, style when they are 10 . . .
Make them suffer hard labor and humiliation hours and hours a day, until they are 18.
Then, at 18, give them sort of a limited parole back into humanity as a test period. If they comport themselves sanely, civilly and respectfully, they will be allowed to move back into society. If not, back to the 'reeducation' island until they get it.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
The mall in Toledo that is mentioned in the article is absolutely beautiful and is the only indoor mall in Toledo. During this time of the year when the temps hover in the single digits in the Toledo area, everyone, good and bad, gravitates to the mall at some point, because it is just too cold to spend the day at one of the upscale "lifestyle centers" in the area if you want to shop and it is a warm place to hang out for bored kids.

I have shopped at this mall many, many times and yes, many of the teens that hang out there, particularly on the weekends, are obnoxious and totally oblivious to the safety and comfort of other shoppers. They will walk in a row 6-8 across, making it difficult to walk through the mall, and they do NOT get out of the way. It's their world and we just share it with them.

I think it's great that they have instituted this policy. Why should hard working, law abiding, citizens be prevented from shopping in a safe environment because some people don't care about their kids enough to raise them to behave in a respectful and decent manner in public?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events