U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:38 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times

Advertisements

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I think the father never wanted to be a parent in the first place.
Hear this, people: the next time a friend, relative or acquaintance says they don't want kids, don't bug them about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,037,769 times
He was questioned hours before ( according to People Magazine)

Cops Questioned Dad Hours Before He Allegedly Threw 5-Year-Old Daughter Off a Bridge - Crime & Courts, Murder, True Crime, Real People Stories : People.com

Jonchuck, 25, was in attorney Genevieve Torres's office to sign paperwork about a custody dispute. His 5-year-old daughter, Phoebe, was with him. During the meeting, he rambled about his attorney being God, and asked her to read from a Swedish-language Bible. He told her that he was heading to a nearby Catholic church. When he finally left, Torres called 911

"He's nuts," Torres told the dispatcher in a 911 tape obtained by PEOPLE. "He's out of his mind, and he has a minor child with him. He's driving to a church now, and I should have kept the child."

Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,037,769 times
Also, in this interview, it says he locked the girl in a room for hours and yelled at her. That is what I picking-up on with this little girl in the purple dress picture. ( 1st article posted) The mother had to know this about her HUSBAND, or that he was a sick-twisted individual. Interview is here

Police say girl was alive when father tossed her over bridge

Old 01-11-2015, 11:20 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,439,256 times
Maybe he was on drugs.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:41 PM

4,111 posts, read 12,829,334 times
Read the article. BOth parents had arrest records (not sure of details though). I really wish parents would have to take some sort of test if their parenting is questionable - there was a well-check visit done on the father a few days before he killed her but apparently all seemed ok. I guess we'll find out more in the coming days. What a shame, the child had so much potential, it's a shame she really didn't have a chance

Old 01-11-2015, 11:55 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As a mother of young children, my heart aches reading this. it really does. drowning is absolutely horrible, especially for a young frightened girl whose final thoughts were of a father who betrayed her trust. I have zero sympathy for parents who kill their children. Zero.
I think that in a month or two, a caring relative should seek out a bona-fide spirit medium, and see what the girl has to say. Finding the real deal can be a bit of a challenge, though.

It sounds like there was mental illness on the father's part. "Hours before Pheobe's death, Jonchuck called his attorney "God", and asked her to translate the Bible", greenflute's article says. The att'y called police and child welfare authorities.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
WTF? People hate the father because he THREW HIS DAUGHTER OFF OF A BRIDGE. How is that not crystal clear? Who cares if he was fine one day & then the next day threw his daughter off the bridge. That doesn't indicate he was on drugs. You realize that people can plot things & no one ever knows, right? I won't pray for that scum. Maybe if he took your daughter & threw her off a bridge you might not be so forgiving.
Well, a couple of things.

Who cares? I do. Why?

Because saying people are just crazy doesn't give us information on how to the detect the next one and prevent it if we can. Because saying people are just crazy doesn't give us a definitive way to try and punish people..................and in a codified system, that is extremely necessary.

Otherwise, one could easily end up with a Totalitarian government which uses "crazy" as a means to get rid of anyone they don't want around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Me too. I couldn't look at this story although I saw it posted to my phone earlier. Something was going on in the picture (by my observation) when the child was wearing the purple dress. That is an abused look really ( kind of like walking on thin needles) Sick. I bet it was hard on this officier but I am glad he/she was there.Very sad story.
Would it make a difference to you if she were not a beautiful child? Beautiful or ugly, it is still a tragedy and in evaluation of the situation, I focus on the latter. While I don't believe I have any active case input, it is still a level of professional approach I use. Be motivated by the offense, not by the beauty of the victim.

Finally, for all the most painful ways to execute him, I do not dwell on such for at least 4 reasons. First of all, it's not healthy. Secondly, such executions are counter to the Constitution so why bother thinking about such when it can't be done and the Constitution is part of the guide line to professional behavior. Third, it's not the mission. There are times when one might have to use psychology and "get into the mind of a general of an opposing army". If so, then it might be necessary to dwell on such dark thoughts, find what is necessary to unnerve someone.....but that's not the case here.

Finally, you are the person with the gun, cop or otherwise. This has just happened. This man is in front of you. Are you going to take him into custody or .................................

Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,439,256 times
This guy sure does bring up God a lot. I wonder if he'll say this was a ritual killing.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I think in cases like these, once it is proven he is responsible for the crime, he should be summarily executed. No delays, no appeals, just kill this mother****er.

A classic understandably knee jerk response.

Careful though.

If in this case this man may have had a serious mental illness.
Such as schizophrenia. In schizophrenia, there is an actual physical brain change. It can be seen on a CT scan.
It is real.
It causes real hallucinations.

Statements as your post only keeps the mentally ill as crazies in the publics view point.

About 10 years ago here a mother in her twenties threw her young son and daughter over the bridge.
One child lived and one died.

My daughter knew of this mother threw circle of friends.
My daughter saw this lady the day before it happened.
This mothers family tried to get her help for a long time, but be g over 18, one cannot be forced mental health care.
She had schizophrenia.
She threw her kids over the bridge due to hallucinations.

For the rest of us, we can shake our heads, blame, be sick from it, wish this person dead.
All real and true thoughts.

A better and more productive form of energy would to advocate and work on changing laws for the mentally ill.

Last edited by Atalanta; 01-12-2015 at 06:02 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:50 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
This guy sure does bring up God a lot. I wonder if he'll say this was a ritual killing.
Bringing up God alot is another sign of being in a mental health breakdown.

Last edited by Atalanta; 01-12-2015 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or