U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 05:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,733,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
What?? your FREE CAPITALISM is allowing the foreign people to buy our land and ports they own our weaponry and specialty parts- they rising and we failing- 1/2 of our kids on drugs - 40% never graduate college and least 25 do not graduate high school while others over seas are excelling in the sciences etc. educate OUR kids!
QUOTE: Federal Reserve Bank of New York data showed that Americans collectively owe $1.1 trillion in student loan debt. By comparison, we owe $8.2 trillion in mortgage debt and $659 billion in credit card debt.

go watch the IVORY TOWER and see reality
I used to think like you. However, this latest maneuver by the Comrade in Chief has finally allowed me to put 2 and 2 together. Not only are we literally selling off the scraps of our cities to the Chinese, we are now about to embark upon a "Cultural Revolution" led by an actual "manchurian candidate" of a president, groomed from a young age in Chinese occupied Hawaii, and then again in Chinese owned schools in Indonesia.

The country has been fighting for years over the birth certificate of our supposedly muslim president, while providing a smoke screen for wholesale purchase of our real estate, ports, and pig farms. Now that they own most of american soil, and all of the foreignly held t-bills, they realize that the next step is to also "own" the minds of young americans. Much like they have already done in their African colonies like Kenya, they are now using our own Kenyan president to direct the country down a path to communist totalitarianism. Only the Chinese, with their genetically proven higher IQs could have concocted such a diabolical scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:36 PM

17,635 posts, read 12,234,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If you can't find a way to pay your way through CC, you'll likely come out just as confused as when you started.

Strange my post said nothing about who was paying

Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 PM

11,409 posts, read 6,449,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're not making sense. Most people don't want to wait tables all their lives. That's why they go to school.
Why would one wait tables all their life if they're only doing it to pay for college? I don't understand your point.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,513,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I used to think like you. However, this latest maneuver by the Comrade in Chief has finally allowed me to put 2 and 2 together. Not only are we literally selling off the scraps of our cities to the Chinese, we are now about to embark upon a "Cultural Revolution" led by an actual "manchurian candidate" of a president, groomed from a young age in Chinese occupied Hawaii, and then again in Chinese owned schools in Indonesia.

The country has been fighting for years over the birth certificate of our supposedly muslim president, while providing a smoke screen for wholesale purchase of our real estate, ports, and pig farms. Now that they own most of american soil, and all of the foreignly held t-bills, they realize that the next step is to also "own" the minds of young americans. Much like they have already done in their African colonies like Kenya, they are now using our own Kenyan president to direct the country down a path to communist totalitarianism. Only the Chinese, with their genetically proven higher IQs could have concocted such a diabolical scheme.
I have never heard anyone say something of the sort like this.

I am reading your post and I am like, huh, huh, huh?
Then as I am reading on, I was thinking, hmmmmmm, that is some interesting insight

Old 01-09-2015, 06:13 PM

11,409 posts, read 6,449,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Since I have no say so in the matter and it's my tax dollars then I'm going back to school for a 2 year degree.

Obama didn't limit it to HS graduates folks..he said EVERY American and wants people to continually improve their education.

So pass this sucker so I can go and get myself another degree
I'll go back too - just for fun. Maybe I can just take classes that interest me. The subject matter is so much more fun when you don't have to worry about paying for it, the grades (2.5 gpa is child's play), or worrying finding a job.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 PM

5,771 posts, read 3,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This is so easy I don't understand why you're not getting it. It's a stepping stone to a 4 year degree, see? And science credits transfer as well, not just english or philosophy. Don't you understand that that can greatly reduce the amount of credits you need to take thus the amount of money you need to put towards your degree AND the amount of time to get your degree?

Sorry if you didn't comprehend a concept so basic.
Let's put reality on the table a bit here. First, while the credits may technically transfer, that doesn't mean they will meet the prereqs for that four year degree, assuming the four year degree is in an in-demand field. Yes, you meet the gen-ed, but not the specifics. So you still need a year of specific pre-reqs for the upper level classes. This really means 2 years CC + 3 years at the U for a total of 5. So the cost savings is only one year, with the lost opportunity cost of a year's delay in entering the workforce.

Secondly, transfer assumes the material prepares you for the higher level work. Also not necessarily so. We looked into CC for our DD and found that it wasn't a good value to spend the first 2 years at CC. These aren't meant to knock CCs, but everyone needs to ensure they look at the total picture because there's no such thing as a free puppy.

As for the number of students, time will tell, but what we've seen so far here in TN is a massive increase in the number of high schoolers applying to CC under the free program. Give it a couple years to see how many actually belong in college.

The way I see it, the only way such a free college program should work is the top 20% of each high school get 4 year college free; the next 20% get 2 years CC free; the next 40% get trade school free. And the bottom 20%? Well, they better learn to ask "Do you want fries with that?" because their welfare just went to pay for the education program. But, will never happen.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:30 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,038,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This would have been a much better ideas than attacking Iraq and much cheaper too. I don't know enough about the long term costs and benefits to ascertain if this is a good plan, however I don't need to- all the experts on here with thepolitiical agendas will be happy to enlighten us.
If we spent the money on college tuition's that we have on Iraq, we could've put SO many kids through 4 years of college, and had SO many productive valuable and non indebted citizens running around right now.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,370,973 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;37953050]Part of the rationale is that it's about job re-training. That's a good thing, it would boost the economy overall to get unemployed adults back into the job market .... Why are we importing workers from India and Eastern Europe, instead of employing our own? Americans have to catch up and get their act together.[/quote]

You can't 'catch up' without brains... and with over a billion souls, they done got mo' of 'em than us.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,815,957 times
I'd rather have my tax dollars going to help educate people and give aid to the poor than blowing people up and spying on all of us. I'm not a big Obama fan, but I have no problem with this proposal.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,799,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's easy to see why there's such pushback:

Who wins? Poor people. Young people. Minorities.

Who loses? Unaccredited for-profit diploma-mill "colleges" and their associated student loan financing companies.

As usual, follow the money (and the stench).
On the flip side if all the poor, young, minorities become educated maybe they'll eventually become Republicans. Gotta think long term
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or