Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Which ones did you teach at?
I didn't submit any papers to journals in undergrad. That doesn't seem unusual.
SBCC and Berkeley City.

A lot of people are getting degrees without getting a college education. You might not have submitted a paper yourself, but I bet your name was on submissions as a contributor (usually masters and PhD students submit papers, undergrad students just contribute to them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
SBCC and Berkeley City.

A lot of people are getting degrees without getting a college education. You might not have submitted a paper yourself, but I bet your name was on submissions as a contributor (usually masters and PhD students submit papers, undergrad students just contribute to them).
I doubt it, I was a math major.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I doubt it, I was a math major.
Liberal Arts, such as math, have the widest selection of academic journals.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Liberal Arts, such as math, have the widest selection of academic journals.
That may be true but I'm pretty sure nobody submitted my stoch calc homework to any journals.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:23 AM

468 posts, read 582,695 times
Default Free is not Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....

Someone is going to pay for this. And it won't be Obama. In fact he just dumped his vacation bill on the taxpayer. Him and Manshelle has spent 1.4 Billion on themselves in vacations since they stepped into the WH. If America is 'borrowing" from China where is Obama getting this money to pay for this "freebie" education that is not so free since the professors want a paycheck and so does the rest of the school staff.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
That may be true but I'm pretty sure nobody submitted my stoch calc homework to any journals.
Oh, I'm not talking about homework. I'm talking about the research you did outside of the classroom. The academic work with professors and PhD students (where the real college education comes from). No one is going to care about the classroom work.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Someone is going to pay for this. And it won't be Obama. In fact he just dumped his vacation bill on the taxpayer. Him and Manshelle has spent 1.4 Billion on themselves in vacations since they stepped into the WH. If America is 'borrowing" from China where is Obama getting this money to pay for this "freebie" education that is not so free since the professors want a paycheck and so does the rest of the school staff.
The education level of this country always comes into question when we have people living here who cannot even spell the First Lady's name.

I'm not sure what China has to do with this given how little skin they have in the game.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 AM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
lol at "free".

Old 01-10-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
lol at "free".
The same term that Reagan used with his "free phone" program.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:50 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Of course he's doing in Knoxville; he was supposedly inspired by the TN Promise.

In WA, the setup is a little different. The program is called Running Start, and it pays up to 2 years of community college for qualified attending HS Seniors/Juniors. Does this mean those students would qualify another 2 years of free college after high school?
Probably not, and that's a problem - the aim of this program (free to nearly free CC) is already available in many, if not most, states, through existing state run programs. The programs may not be setup for "free CC" but they can effectively function as such.

This program seems awfully redundant in many respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events