U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 06:07 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,970,423 times

Advertisements

This is merely a gift to the teachers' unions. If the taxpayers are going to pick up the tab, what incentive do state universities have to keep prices down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 PM

1,046 posts, read 712,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
The free CC seems like not a big deal, it will be cheap to implement so I'm not sure why so many are so against it.
What do you consider "cheap"? The middle and upper-middle class workers of this country will pay for it. We already pay for all kinds of grants, loans, etc.
I will be interested to see how many of these people actually show up for class and walk out with a degree. I will be even more interested to see how many land a job that pays a living wage with two years of college. I say this because the last two servers we've had already had bachelor's degrees. There are not enough good-paying jobs for this to make sense.
It's nothing more than a grab for votes off the backs of those currently paying federal income taxes. All the millenials who voted for "Hope and Change" saw that ship sail off empty, so the president has to find another hand-out to lure them back on board.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,741,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
What the foaming at the mouth corporate prostitutes don't understand is that health and education are not expenses they're INVESTMENTS. A healthy, educated society is happier, more productive and less violent. Just look at any of the Scandinavian countries, that is until the Muslim infestation started.
I am willing to say that at the community college level there's a lot of dead weight hanging around with no intentions to ever graduating or acquire skills that will help them. I donít really want to pay for someone to hang around for 10 years to study ďunder water basket weavingĒ or ďpottery of the orient.Ē The government and higher education will never boot people that are hanging around.

Besides Iím pretty sure that Obama will request that colleges lower the standards so more people who donít measure up can get on this gravy train of FREE.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,732,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
What do you consider "cheap"? The middle and upper-middle class workers of this country will pay for it. We already pay for all kinds of grants, loans, etc.
I will be interested to see how many of these people actually show up for class and walk out with a degree. I will be even more interested to see how many land a job that pays a living wage with two years of college. I say this because the last two servers we've had already had bachelor's degrees. There are not enough good-paying jobs for this to make sense.
It's nothing more than a grab for votes off the backs of those currently paying federal income taxes. All the millenials who voted for "Hope and Change" saw that ship sail off empty, so the president has to find another hand-out to lure them back on board.
Well it's not like CCs cost a lot of money to operate now.

If Germany can make real college free for visiting Americans as well as all German citizens I'm sure America can find the money for two years of $22/credit community college courses. If not, maybe American high school students should take German so they can get a free education when they graduate.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Well it's not like CCs cost a lot of money to operate now.

If Germany can make real college free for visiting Americans as well as all German citizens I'm sure America can find the money for two years of $22/credit community college courses. If not, maybe American high school students should take German so they can get a free education when they graduate.

I pretty sure it costs a heck of a lot more than manning a Circle K

Nobody really cares what Germany is doing, they're already circling the drain with the Euro Union

Old 01-10-2015, 07:22 PM

6,774 posts, read 6,859,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
What the foaming at the mouth corporate prostitutes don't understand is that health and education are not expenses they're INVESTMENTS. A healthy, educated society is happier, more productive and less violent. Just look at any of the Scandinavian countries, that is until the Muslim infestation started.

This is a very important point. CD posters are often ranting about low wage workers needing skills, and from what I have read it would also apply to other programs that teach a job related skill. In my state community college costs 5K/yr, plus books, fees, etc. Healthy, educated citizens employed in good paying positions strengthen our country.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I pretty sure it costs a heck of a lot more than manning a Circle K

Nobody really cares what Germany is doing, they're already circling the drain with the Euro Union
Well you could use arithmetic to figure it out.

I know things have been going downhill academically in North Dakota, but come on...

Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Well you could use arithmetic to figure it out.

I know things have been going downhill academically in North Dakota, but come on...
Iím guessing the lack of oxygen in Big Bear must be tough.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Iím guessing the lack of oxygen in Big Bear must be tough.
Well, I grew up in North Dakota.
How it works is, North Dakotans are really smart, mostly due to superior genetics. Too smart to stay in North Dakota, really. This results in a massive brain drain. It also means some mid level jobs don't have enough people to staff them.
Thus, we have to let in a lot of dumb southerners who weren't smart enough to find jobs in their home states. Most of them are oil field trash, but some of them are mid range office workers in Fargo. Sadly, both groups bring the collective IQ of the state down.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I grew up in North Dakota.
How it works is, North Dakotans are really smart, mostly due to superior genetics. Too smart to stay in North Dakota, really. This results in a massive brain drain. It also means some mid level jobs don't have enough people to staff them.
Thus, we have to let in a lot of dumb southerners who weren't smart enough to find jobs in their home states. Most of them are oil field trash, but some of them are mid range office workers in Fargo. Sadly, both groups bring the collective IQ of the state down.

Yawn no one moves to Big Bear unless they snowboarding on crappy snow and doing meth. I suppose the biggest year around employer in that town is Denny's. Maybe we can have an adult daycare course on washing pots and pans at Denny's or cooking meth in your single wide in Big Bear.

If something is free does it really have any value? Iím sure like I said Obama will push for lowered standards so his people can attend this new version of adult daycare that was once a thriving community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or