U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 10:59 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,207,345 times

Advertisements

Does everybody who paid for theirs get a refund?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,466,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Does everybody who paid for theirs get a refund?
What? Why?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:19 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,066,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What? Why?
Why not. It seems only fair. I'm sure there a few students out there that borrowed a few bucks to go to community college.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,257,755 times
And I'm sure there are families who bankrupted themselves to pay for cancer treatment before ACA rolled out. We cannot let foolish policies of the past stop us from fixing today's problems. Free community college would be a big blow to for-profit "universities" and their associated predatory student loans.

Let's call it like it is. Enacting a free community college plan would cut into the profits of places like the University of Phoenix and deVry. This has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with profits.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM

223 posts, read 275,024 times
My city (Syracuse, NY) offers a program that provides for a free college education to high school graduates. Both of my daughters missed being included in the program because they graduated from high school a year or 2, too early. You can find more information here:

Say Yes to Education

My tax dollars pay for a whole host of things that I don't approve of... It is finally nice to see them pay for something that I can support wholeheartedly.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:05 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,066,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I'm sure there are families who bankrupted themselves to pay for cancer treatment before ACA rolled out. We cannot let foolish policies of the past stop us from fixing today's problems. Free community college would be a big blow to for-profit "universities" and their associated predatory student loans.

Let's call it like it is. Enacting a free community college plan would cut into the profits of places like the University of Phoenix and deVry. This has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with profits.

ACA will still cause families to file BK or go into extreme debt. A good number of the lower tier plans, which poor folks are buying, are nothing more than catastrophic coverage plans with extremely high co-pays if you can call them that. There’s no preventive care, which may find things like cancer at an earlier stage.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:12 PM

832 posts, read 1,182,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....
I thought it was wacky. But then... it occurred to me.

Maybe I could get a free two year head start on a new career and since it's free, I could decide if I wanted to pursue it or not. The downside for me is that I'm an adult and so I would not be able to go "half time" due to work constraints. And I didn't see if anyone could do it or if people who already had degrees would be eliminated from eligibility.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:31 PM

44,976 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The vast, vast majority will never know what they're missing out on, either.
Please. I can assure you that a degree from Harvard doesn't magically impart happiness or satisfaction in life and career.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:31 PM

832 posts, read 1,182,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Magnet zones for getting expansive government grants for stupid "studies" like putting shrimp on treadmills.
You gotta admit, that shrimp made us all look bad.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM

60 posts, read 90,866 times
I don't think it's a good idea because I think we have way too many college graduates and not enough jobs that require a college education. I would be a little more supportive if the program had stricter requirements. You should have to maintain at least a 3.3 in high school or have some type of work experience if it's been a while since you went to high school. While you're in community college, you should have to maintain a 3.0. College isn't that hard. There's no reason to go below a 3.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or