Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,419,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In most industrial countries such as in Asia and Europe even our backyards their govt subsidizes 4 year college education. Not totally free but cheap enough where it is essentially provided for.

Most states do provide some type of tuition assistance program for the poor but not universal assistance.

While their is cost involved, I do think it needs to be some level of free education available. It can help lower crime, unemployment benefits, and give people more purpose. The only challenge is how to fund and hire additional staff.

One thing that scares me is that may bring extra taxes and how are schools going to be running them or providing them.
Most countries that subsidize 4 year college education also limit the availability of that college education to those who can realistically survive 4 years of college and graduate. They don't just let every student that wants to go to college go for free. Sometime during the early years of schooling (as in grade or middle school), depending on the country, kids are split into different education tracks. The kids who have the aptitude for college end up in the college track and the kids that don't end up on a skilled trades or other track. The kids who end up on a non-college track probably don't ever get to go to a regular 4 year college even if they want to, but if they did go to a 4 year college I bet the government wouldn't cover a dollar of it.

I saw the Obama plan on TV this morning and it mentioned one of the requirements for staying in the program would be maintaining a 2.0 GPA. You can probably maintain a 2.0 in most community colleges without even having to attend any classes or do half the homework.

When are people in this country going to realize that the reason only about 30% of the population has 4 year degrees is because only about 30% of the population actually has the aptitude for college. 4 year college admissions and student loans should be limited to only those who have a realistic chance of graduating. Everybody else should be in some type of skilled trade or other job training program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,949,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
^This^

Unfortunately, I only see a small percent of the students taking advantage of this to actually further their education and get better careers...I see the vast majority percent taking advantage of this by using it like a continuation of high school. Two extra years of screw around time before they have to grow up and join the work force.
According to the article and just like pretty much every other financial aid out there, you have to maintain good grades. If they screw around and do not earn the required GPA, they will not get the aid or will have to repay the aid.

***From the article***
"Community colleges have to raise their game by establishing standards to allow students to transfer those credits to a four-year degree," she said. "And students must take responsibility for their education, earn good grades and stay on track to graduate in order to earn free tuition."

Honestly, I see a lot of kids taking advantage of this. Many students that have average grades graduate high school and aspire to go to college. These are the students who are not getting scholarships or grants. They are your average student looking to better themselves. This program could work great for them.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,737,145 times
Obama Pushes Plan for Free Community College | RealClearPolitics

Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,721,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Hes proposing it to Congress, hes not actually doing it himself. From the article "The program would require action from a Republican-dominated Congress"
So he's offering up a freebie he does not have the authority to give, and daring the republican congress to deny us it. This is yet one more example of why professional rabble rousers(I mean Community Organizers) have no business being president.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,234,217 times
If they figure this thing out, I like it.

Maybe something like: Take out a loan to pay for the semester, then if you meet attendance and GPA requirements your loan gets eliminated.

I see it cannibalizing the first two years of 4 year state universities. If I was a 4 year, I would want the dollars that would go to community college to also be applicable to the first two years at the state school. So, if you could receive $4K in free education at a community college, I would say that that same $4K should be given to all students at the 4 year university to reduce the cost of those first two years.

What current government programs can we cut to pay for this?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,949,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So he's offering up a freebie he does not have the authority to give, and daring the republican congress to deny us it. This is yet one more example of why professional rabble rousers(I mean Community Organizers) have no business being president.
WTF are you babbling about? He has an idea and he is going to propose it to congress. How else do you think new ideas come into play? Or do you think the president shouldn't come up with new ideas at all?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,683,088 times
[quote=Atalanta;37950367]I don't agree with it,thatguydownsouth

I am just so tired of "free"
Nothing is for free.
The tax payers will pay for it.

I think the article said 3/4 government paying for it and 1/4 will be paid for by each state.
So, tax payers pay for it, it is not "free"
/QUOTE]

As taxpayers we will be paying for people one way or another. Either welfare or college. I prefer the latter, at least then people will have the resources to move ahead and get to the point where they will be paying into the same system.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:29 AM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I don't agree with it,thatguydownsouth

Nothing is for free.

I think the article said 3/4 government paying for it and 1/4 will be paid for by each state.

If Obama and Congress are going to look at these programs
And they want to do something around it.

I am all for paying the Student loans off for previous legal citizens who have already attended Community College and have been working steadlily.

Unless the reboubs came up with it first! or it was your kid or grand kid who could use the break-- oh but for those perfect people with all the cash in their banks Be glad for my tax dollars to give better education to some kid- what we getting from the highs schools now is crap- maybe we can make up for it.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:31 AM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I don't agree with it,thatguydownsouth

Nothing is for free.

If Obama and Congress are going to look at these programs
And they want to do something around it.

I am all for paying the Student loans off for previous legal citizens who have already attended Community College and have been working steadlily.

I agree help those with the student loans they need to buy homes and keep it all going round and round. but educate the youth AT all cost! it is the country's future,

Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,234,217 times
Yeah, we have pulled so much money out of education that was available when I was in college that college is becoming ridiculously expensive. Let's push money back into it, but cut somewhere where the money isn't being used well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events